Author Topic: John MAVIN and his wife Mary Ann (nee BROWN)  (Read 12424 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John MAVIN and his wife Mary Ann (nee BROWN)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 June 09 13:41 BST (UK) »
Boo,

J = journeyman... lit. "man who works by the day"

So it would appear that he was a tailor but employed by someone else, rather than for his own business ( maybe why he does not figure in directories ? )

Pity I can not see them 10 yrs later on c1851.

There was another "J" tailor on same page on c1841.

Can not see any sign of a John Brown marrying a Priscilla in Scotland.

If John/Priscilla had been living in England at the time of their marriage, the marriage laws of England/Wales would have "forced" them to marry in a "Parish Church" i.e. Church of England to produce a legal marriage ( this restriction withdrawn 1837).

Assuming for the moment that Mary Ann was their first child, maybe you should search for a John/Priscilla marriage in Bamburgh Parish records ( Records of North Sunderland C of E marriages do not strart until 1837- or at least that's what's first available today)

MD
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael
Sorry for the delay in getting back. Summer has arrived here and after a very long winter when the temperatures go down as far as minus 40 odd ( centigrade) I make the most of every minute of sun !

Thanks for the explanation, I thought it may be journeyman, but like to check these things.

No, I couldn't find John and Priscilla in 1851 either. Neither can I find a likely marriage in the Joiner Index. IGI doesn't reveal anything either. So many possibilities though, Mary Ann's Dad 'could' have died when she was very small. I will keep plugging away at it, maybe some day something will turn up :-)
I am ever hopeful  !

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John MAVIN and his wife Mary Ann (nee BROWN)-updated
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 October 09 02:20 BST (UK) »

One step forward and five back !
As well as my G Grandmother ( Mary Ann Mavin) , this couple had three other children. Thomas Mavin (born 1843), Margaret Mavin (born 1852) and Elizabeth Mavin (born 1846)
Thomas became a joiner, like his Dad and stayed in the Spindleston area, he is the easy one :-)

The two girls were in the family home for the 1861 census and then in 1871 they were working at Waren House as domestic servants.
After that, they seemed to disappear.
I have found them, they were both in Scotland in 1881, in Edinburgh, both had married in Scotland.

Scotland's People have their marriage records:
Elizabeth married in 1877, groom was George Laidler. As it is a Scottish record, it gives the names of both father and mother. Elizabeth says her Dad was John Mavin, a joiner, mother was Mary Ann ( maiden surname Brown)

tickettyboo !

Then I looked at Margaret's marriage record.
She married in 1879, to Ralph Wallace. Margaret also had both parents names recorded on the marriage record. John Mavin, a joiner and his wife Mary Ann ... but this time it says Mary Ann's maiden name is Cooper.

So now I am left wondering .. maybe Mary Ann Brown was born outside of marriage? Maybe her father was John Brown but her mother was called Cooper and she and John didn't marry?
Lots of possibilities, I suppose.

errm, could someone remind me why we do this family history thing?
Oh yes, its because its fun ! :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John MAVIN and his wife Mary Ann (nee BROWN) - still trying to find her!
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 January 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Over 5 years since I first posted about my blooming Mary Ann Brown, I've moved countries 3 times since then and will do that a fourth time during this year, he, he, and in between I have scoured the web for clues about Mary Ann BROWN and her Dad and STILL I am no further forward, but I live in hope :-)

I have found another 'straw' to clutch at.

Very tenuous but I have found a baptism in 1806 at The Dissenters Meeting House, Bank Side, North Shields which has caught my interest.
Patrick son of John BROWN, tailor, North Shields by his wife Jane was born 2nd Febry and baptised the 8th June
The father was born in the parish of Belford, the mother in the Parish of Bamborough both in the Cty of N. & her maiden name was [WEDDEL/RIDDEL/ ??]
Witnesses present Mark & Mary HEWIT both of N Shields

This is the first straw I have found for a John BROWN, tailor, in about the right timeframe who has a link to the right area where Mary Ann was supposedly born.

I can't yet find any further children of this couple, nor can I yet find a marriage for them,but I thought I'd add the snippet to this thread on the off chance that someday I may eventually solve this puzzle.

If anyone has access to ancestry and can help decipher the mother's maiden name, the image can be found here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eho/

2nd entry down, right hand side of page. Though the record says his mother is Jane, ancestry (as only they can) have transcribed that as Susannah - go figure 'that' one :-)

Boo

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 January 15 23:41 GMT (UK) »
As you and I both know, it's not easy transcribing - but Susannah? !

As for the surname, I think, on balance, Riddel.  The second letter looks like 'e' but there is a definite dot above it and the capital looks more like R than W.   I think!

Do you know whether the record is at Woodhorn - it might be clearer on the microfilm.

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 January 15 00:22 GMT (UK) »
As you and I both know, it's not easy transcribing - but Susannah? !

he, he to be fair it really is a dire image (took me ages to transcribe it and I am trying not to criticise too much as I have probably made some errors myself !)  Looking at the image, the two words 'Jane' and 'was' would have been easier to read if the man had put a space between them and at first glance it may have looked like just one word and Susannah has more or less the right number of characters :-). If you are getting paid by the entry to transcribe then there is probably time pressure on you. (though I do think that the company should at least have their transcriptions checked considering the limb to two I pay them a year)

As for the surname, I think, on balance, Riddel.  The second letter looks like 'e' but there is a definite dot above it and the capital looks more like R than W.   I think!

Do you know whether the record is at Woodhorn - it might be clearer on the microfilm.

thanks for looking , its appreciated and I agree that the capital looks more like an R than a W, but this writing was quite stylised and the image is 'challenging' to read.

I am not sure if Woodhorn have these records or not, I looked on their page for Presbyterian records (non conformists info seems to be split into Presbyterian, RC and Methodist on the info sheets).

Its RG4, Piece 1778 so if they have cross references to the RG 4 series then they may have them but not listed them. I tried the catalogue, but the drop down list for the Place field doesn't seem to mention North Shields at all ! I struggle with that catalogue :-) The congregation (according the letter to the Commission) was dissolved in 1820 and the total date range is 1799-1820.

Its a real long shot anyway, but now and then I spend a few hours trying to see if I can find 'something' for Mary Ann Brown.  I take her out of the filing drawer and have another poke around in the hope that something new has come online. If nothing else she keeps me occupied :-)

Boo

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 January 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I never use Woodhorn catalogue but according to genuki there are records for Bankside Dissenters (Independant) 1799 - 1820 at Woodhorn.  It also says they are on IGI but they probably wouldn't have all the detail on.

I could have a look on Wednesday.

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 January 15 11:54 GMT (UK) »
If you have the time that would be lovely, thank you Christine. If its a different filming it may be slightly clearer and easier to read the mother's maiden name.

Boo

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo

I can without any doubt say that the surname is Weddel.  What looked like a dot above the first vowel is actually the end of the upward stroke of the W - totally invisible on the Ancestry version.

Christine