Author Topic: McGregor - Thames Coromandel  (Read 26554 times)

Offline bronyz1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGregor - Thames Coromandel
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 02 August 14 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My name is Bronwyn and my Great, Great, Great Grandmother was also Hohipaea Nga Puhi. We have one image of her with the Moko dressed in European clothing. We would really like to learn more about her and where her and Alexander Mcgregor may be buried. Hohipaea is the link to our Maori heritage in our family history. We have information that she was a Maori Chiefness but are unsure if this is true. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you:)

Offline bigpoppa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 August 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwyn

Please email me and I will send you some information.My email is:  (*)

Regards

Ralph Murray

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 05:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ralph,

to avoid spamming etc RC does not allow email addys to be posted on threads,you will need to modify your post and send a message via the PM system

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Cheers Janette

Offline Maleficent

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 18 September 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Irene,
My name is Melanie and I am Evelyn's daughter.
There is a Shortcliffe family whakapapa wananga coming up...
I am new to this so hopefully I can find and add you on Facebook.

Offline Nick Ballé

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 16 May 16 02:40 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora,

I am descendent of Alexander McGregor and Hohipaea Ngapuhi.

My line of descant is as follows:
Alexander James McGregor + Hohipaea (Sophia) Ngapuhi
- My Great, great, great grandparents
James Alexander Hemi Paritu Te Riaki McGregor + Heneti Te Wairama Te Ohaere
- My Great, great Grandparents
Christina McGregor + Wiremu (Bill) Connor
- My Great Grandparents
William Connor + Dorothy Jessie Margaret Coxon
- My Grandparents

I have just been in touch with The Whakatohea Tribal Database Admin, and I was informed that Hohipaea's mother is not Matarena Waitangi, a common mistake it appears. I am still researching her mother's name, possibly Puata, but I have yet to confirm this.
Her father's name is Tuterangikawhia, this was obtained from a Maori Land Court document dated April 1st 1867, in which Hohipaea was making a claim for her mother's land at Te Tawa and Te Ruahoata in Opotiki.

I hope this helps

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 16 May 16 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick, and welcome to RootsChat :) :)

In case you're not aware, RootsChat has a policy of not identifying living or possibly living persons on the forum. This is to protect them from spam, identity theft and other potential abuses.

Could I ask you to please edit your post and delete the names of any living persons. :)

Details of living persons, email and personal addresses, etc. are best exchanged using the Personal Message (PM) system which is activated after you have made three posts, so feel free to reply twice to this topic with a smiley. 8)

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Nick Ballé

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 16 May 16 03:16 BST (UK) »
Also,
I have found a Cemetery record for Alexander McGregor at the Symonds Street Cemetery at the corner of Symonds St and Karangahape Rd in Auckland.
Although some of the information contained here does contradict itself.
There is a photo of the obelisk / headstone attached to the record.
You can search for it here:
http://www.aucklandcitylibraries.com/DigitalLibrary/resourcepages/cemetaryrecordssymonds.aspx

Offline Flysurf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hohipaia Ngapuhi was my great, great, great Grandmother and I am wondering please if there is any information on her ancestors?  I can't work out if her parents were  Tuterangi Kawha and Puata Kawha OR Takoto Waimua and Materena Waitangi? Does anyone know if she was adopted? Any information you'd be happy to share would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to follow Hohipaia's ancestry back as far as possible

Thank you so much for your time :)

Offline Ken Read

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
my name is Sonya i am a decendant of Hohi Nga Puhi And Alexander McGregor. My linkage is through another son James Mc Gregor who married Heneti Te Waimarama Te Ohaere. They had several childern- James Paraire, Harry Davis, Anaru, Maggie married Ben Ngapo, Lena Kitemate married Jack Savage, Rose Pariha married Frederick Durrant, Christina married William Connor, Heneti Janet married Hurikino, Annie Marangi, William Piri, and John Tane Hone Te One married Minnie Matahaere Paora.
John and Minnie had 5 children- Riria Lilly, Harry, James Wharekiri, Andrew Tataikoko and my greatgrand father Kewa who married Isobel Pera Hutchinson. I was 4 Years old when my grandpoppa kewa died 28;12;1973. Grandnana Isobel died 30:4;1985. My grandmother, their daughter, was Agnes Mona Anatipa McGregor who married Parata Ainsley who had my mother. She was 1 of 9 children Catherine Anatipa Ainsley. She is buried at Waihi Public Cemetery. My grandparents and greatgrand parents also lay here. I have been searching for further information on Hohi Nga Puhi and Alexander McGregor. Thank you for the information you have provided. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.