Author Topic: Lt Col Andrew McDowall (McDouall) of Logan  (Read 24619 times)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lt Col Andrew McDowall (McDouall) of Logan
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
Andrew’s father (according to Burkes Peerage and Gentry) was John McDowall (m. Helen Buchan). John had a sister Isabel and a brother Patrick (b. 10 Feb 1727 at Logan). If ‘my’ William McDowall is not the illegitimate son of Andrew, then it is possible that he is from Patrick’s line. However, I have been unable to find any information relating to this Patrick.

Parents John McDouall and Hellen Buchan [IGI extracted]

Andrew McDouall  Christened 8th December 1758 Kirkmaiden by Drummore, Wigtown
Christian McDouall christened 12th September 1760  Kirkmaiden by Drummore, Wigtown
Helen McDouall christened 19th December 1761  Kirkmaiden by Drummore, Wigtown

Scotlands people has a will for

Robert McDouall of Logan 06/06/1729

There is a submitted entry on the IGI for a birth making him brother to Patrick (and presumably John?)

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline BrigOdoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 May 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
Scotlands National Archives have documents relating to an illegitimate child of Andrew McDouall.  The story of this childs conception is immortalised in the songs "Young Peggy" and "Ye Banks and Braes o' Bonie Doon' by Robert Burns, who had met, and was fascinated by the young Peggy.  The child, named Helen, was the daughter of Margaret Kennedy, of Daljarroch, who claimed she had secretly married Andrew McDouall, who denied the marriage and paternity.  The case was taken to court, and initially won by Margaret Kennedy, however, McDouall appealled the decision, but Margaret "Peggy" Kennedy died in 1796, before the results were given.  The appeal overturned the original decision regarding the marriage, but awarded the sum of three thousand pounds to Helen, the child, to be paid by Andrew McDouall, thus confirming his parentage.  There are quite a few references to this relationship available on the web particularly concerning the Robert Burns connection.   

Margaret Kennedy was my great great aunty, she was the daughter of Robert Kennedy of Daljarroch and Grizel Cathcart (the grandaughter of Sir John Kennedy, 2nd Baronet).  I will try to find the reference at NAS and post later.

Offline BrigOdoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 May 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Reference to papers referred to previously.
As I live in NZ I've never actually got around to getting copies of these documents from NAS.

Reference   Title   Date
CC8   Edinburgh Commissary Court   1514-1859

Country code   GB
Repository code   234
Repository   National Archives of Scotland
Reference   CC8/6/1120
Title   Kennedy v McDowall
Dates   1801
Access status   Open
Description   Margaret Kennedy, eldest lawful daughter of the deceased Robert Kennedy of Daljarroch Esq, and Helen McDowall, her daughter, against Lieutenant Colonel Andrew McDowall, younger, of Logan Esq
Level   File
Creator name   Commissary Court of Edinburgh
Previous numbers   CC8/6/70; 49/2
Related material   CC8/5/25/473

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 August 15 03:48 BST (UK) »
There's a good tree here showing some of these relationships.

If you take it out to 4 generations of descendants there are some Martins at the bottom of the page (married to Agnes Vaus)

http://genealogy.jvans.co.uk/descend.php?personID=I330&tree=1

Offline Wambat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 January 16 05:43 GMT (UK) »
I have visited this thread from time to time, and now wish to chime in.
According to oral family stories, I descend from the Logan line, but I very much doubt that I'll ever be able to establish that as fact.
I have 2 other McDOUALLs who I have been trying to link where there may be a better chance.

One is a John McDOUALL or McDOWALL who was a Merchant and Magistrate in Stranraer. He married Jean KERR 1765 and they had 11 children recorded there. Son Robert had a distinguished military carreer and Alexander a Merchant, Magistrate, and Provost of Stranraer. John McDOUALL's first son was named Patrick, so maybe that was his father's name.

The other is one of Col Andrew McDOUALL's illegitimate children, which I haven't yet seen mentioned on this thread. From the Kirkmaiden parish Baptism Register:
"1784, Kirkmaiden : Mary, illegit daur of Andrew McDowall, Esqr & Jean McWilliam born 10th Augt
bapt 6th Septr. [end]"

There has been a claim made that she was the Mary D McDOWALL who married Charles PAUL and emigrated to New Jersey. That may be true, but she seems to fit nicely with the Mary McDOUALL who married Captain William STUART in 1804 and had 9 children, one of whom was John McDouall STUART, a notable explorer in Australia.

There have been reports on this thread of wills etc in NRS. Before I consider downloading some of these via Scotlandpeople, I wonder if any of you have already done so, or otherwise can comment on the cases I have raised?

Bruce

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 January 16 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce

I have not downloaded any of the papers mentioned in this thread. I have not done further research since my last post but would be interested to know if any of the lines could be confirmed.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline William McDouall Stuart

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 October 16 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Just stumbled across this thread when searching for one of my ancesters.

I am a decendent of Mary McDouall (1779 - 1826), Mary was an illegitimate child of Andrew McDouall of Logan. He was reported to be a ladies man as there were other known illegitimate children such as Helen McDouall, born to Peggy Kennedy. She actually took Andrew to court over this and his promise of marriage and she was awarded 3000 pounds.

Some of the McDouall family history including the above is featured in the book 'John McDouall Stuart' by Mona Stuart Webster which was published in 1958. Mary McDouall married William Charles Stuart and they had many children including John McDouall Stuart, one of Australia's most notable explorers. There may be other historical sources relating to John McDoaull Stuart that discuss the McDouall lineage but the one mentioned above seems to be the best I've come across thus far.

Goodluck.

Offline Poppymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 January 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am searching for my ancestors in Logan.
Can you tell me the name of your Mary's mother please?
Was she also an illegitimate daughter of Lt Col Andrew McDouall?
I am assuming that your Mary and the Mary illegitimate daughter with the mother Jean McWiiliam are not the same?
Thank you Pauline McDouall

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 January 20 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi poppymac,

Early last year (2019) The Scottish Genealogist published a paper about William McDowell, the scientific instrument maker who emigrated to NZ in 1839, and his extended family including the link to Lord Bankton. 

How far back have you been able to get with your McDouall line?