Author Topic: Oriel - Crunwere  (Read 14236 times)

Offline marros

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oriel - Crunwere
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Orielbenfro. I am pretty sure that my Thomas Oriel is number 2 insofar as I have, what I believe to be, the original marriage certificate for him and Martha dated 1843. The locations in the valleys tie in with my records except I have Caedraw rather than Caedram.
Is the family tree earlier than my Thomas Oriel available? My mother is curious as to how Oriel came to be in West Wales; is there a French connection?
Rgds
Marros

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 January 15 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to pop into this thread, but there seems a chance someone into Oriels may be able to enlighten me. A very distant by marriage link then links to the family of Benjamin Oriel who seems to have been born Marras(?) Carmarthenshire in 1814 or thereabouts, and married Elizabeth in 1834. I've found him easily in 1841, carpenter-ing away, and in 1851, and 1871, 1881 and 1891, but I can't seem to find him or any of his family in the 1861 census, either in Wales ( which I would expect) or in England? As his name was very distorted on another census, can anyone suggest where he and the family may have been in 1861, and how to find them, please?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 January 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Not got any detail to hand but if you tell us the places from the other censuses it may give us a clue of some sort.

Offline Rhosgoch

• RootsChat Member
  • Granny Betsy Saer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 January 15 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin Oriel and family were almost certainly still on Caldey Island, Tenby in the 1861 Census, as they were there in 1851 and 1871. This is one of the "missing" pages of the 1861 census. Abstracted numbers from the census exist and indicate over 70 people living on Caldey Island in 1861.

Benjamin was born in Marros, Carmarthenshire.

Hope this is some help,

Rhosgoch

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 January 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that was what rather confused me - they were in the same place, Caldey Island (I'm afraid I'd got it as "Caldy", and wasn't sure which was correct at the time, so didn't name the place) prior to the 1861 census and after it, but I'd been unable to find them in the 1861 Wales census, and couldn't believe they'd up-and-off for a short period.
I'm afraid I'd not thought of "missing" pages - and I should have, for I've other, closer family in other areas of Wales in the same plight in 1861.
Thank you very much, Rhosgoch and of course, Crunwere, who has helped so many on these pages. I appreciate your time being spent on this. I'll just "file" Benjamin now, he's not really direct - just a very distant link by marriage.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)