Author Topic: Littles Public house 1916  (Read 6878 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Littles Public house 1916
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 June 09 14:00 BST (UK) »
Capt P Lawlor might have been a cousin of ours, aged about 18/19
- I know he fought in the College of Surgeons (well, my aunt, now dead, told me so years ago, and most of what she said has been correct, at least in outline)
- unfortunately, I never followed that up, as I was focused on going further back at the time.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 June 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
Dara, yes, you are right, I am afraid after revisiting my notes following the grand help from this site, it appears I've become a bit confused. In his application, Denis does not indicate how long he stayed at Littles, I misinterpreted something from another source and at some point applied it to his service at Littles. Sorry. But it does appear the occupation of Littles has been largely overlooked in official histories.

Eadaoin, Interestingly, in his pension application, Capt Lawlor is one of Denis's three witnesses to his service during Easter week! It says he Captain Lawlor is living at 39 Daniel st (at the time of the application in 1934 I think). I have very little on Denis 's parents and family, other then he had a brother Thomas and sisters Agnes, Frances (known as 'Wanky') and Eileen. Does any of this ring any bells?

(The other two witnesses to Denis's active service during the week are James Kelly and Capt Michael Delaney)

Denis

Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 June 09 18:24 BST (UK) »
hi Denis

Daniel St doesn't ring any bells, but that family moved around a lot, and he spent time living in Army Barracks too.
When I've a bit of time I'll look at the Electoral Register for Daniel St

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 09 03:14 BST (UK) »
Denis

There is a good photograph of this public house on P49  of the book Lost Dublin by Frederick ODwyer and published by Gill and Macmillan in 1981. The caption states  that it was occupied by the Volunteers during Easter Week but emerged from the fighting relatively unscathed. It was demolished in 1975.

Regards

Quaxer

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
many thanks Quaxer, ran down to the local book shops and looked for this but nobody had it so went to the local library early this morning and have ordered the O'Dwyer book - can't wait to see the photo -

Also, it was in a letter accompanying Denis's pension application from the Department of Defence that said he was in Littles from Monday to Thursday morning.

There is a reference to Littles in '1916' by Charles Townshend that says "the withdrawal of the ICA men from the pub ... 'seemed strange; ' and one of the commentators says that 'their scouting, if any, seemed defective'- does anyone know what this latter comment might mean?

thankyou for the source Quaxer, much appreciated

Denis
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 23:33 BST (UK) »
Denis

I forgot to mention the last time about the Bureau of Military History  formerly in Westland Row ,which formerly was closed to the public but I saw somewhere that they are now open. Ask around for the up to date address.
Also th e Irish Times handbook to the 1916 Rebellion has brief references to both public houses and this was republished about 10 years ago.The book makes a lot of reports available in one unit.

I well remember both premises in the 1960s but I assure you from the outside only.

Regards      Quaxer

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 23:45 BST (UK) »
Denis

I just re read the responses and saw other matter.
 If a spirit merchant is a spirit grocer(an d not a wholesaler of Alchol to the trade)then he/she was a grocer with alicence to sell spirits for consumption off the premises. These licences lkapsed about 1910.

Iwould have to see the full comment about scouting near Littles before I could suggest anything. You no doubt know that not only was The R.C.S.I. occupied but also trenches were dug by the Volunteers in the Green.

Regards      Quaxer

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 October 09 17:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in responding but have been able to follow up a lead and now have a (library) copy of Dwyers 'Lost Dublin' with the image of Littles public house at 106 Cuffe street. (what an indespensible resource, amazing images throughout including many from 1916).
Its a fantastic photograph of the pub seemingly taken just after the rising, with a British (?) soldier standing guard, and clear bullet holes in the walls. Interestingly the premises is signed as the "Winter Garden Palace" with 'Philip Little, Tea and wine importer' signed on the  window. I haven't been able to find out anything more using the 'Winter Palace' name but maybe somebody might be able to use this to garner more information on the role of the pub during the week.
It was demolished in 1975.
(Are we allowed to post a scanned image or copyright forbid this?)

Quaxer, regarding the reference in Charles Townshends great account, 'Easter 1916' (Penguin2005). Following an account about the occupation of St.Stephens Green and Leeson street by Liam O'Briain in which houses covering the canal bridge were occupied, Townshend describes how on Monday "Margaret Skinnider appeared in the street below with orders from Mallin for half the force to fall back to the Green, and some while later she returned to order the rest back too. The reason was not clear to O'Briain (or to Laurence Nugent, a roving observer, who noted that 'there was no threat of attack' when the post was evacuated)". This is where the Littles reference describes that "The withdrawal of the ICA men from the pub at the corner of Cuffe st also 'seemed strange' to Nugent; 'their scouting, if any, seemed defective' (Laurence Nugent BMH WS 907)".

Denis didn't evacuate Littles until Thursday so the occupation of the pub was continued long after the canal st post was evacuated. Interestingly, the volunteers at the pub didn't reinforce St.Stephens Green or the College but moved on to Jacobs on Thursday.

Denis

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 October 09 01:05 BST (UK) »
The confusion of battle is tremendous.
The staff work before any conflict has to be of a very high order and this can only be reached by years of training and experience. The rebellion was not planned by persons experienced in military matters who could work above ground with impunity. Drilling in the streets may be good for propaganda purposes  but is not really tactical training. It appears that little longterm
strategic planning was entered into. The Uprising was more opportunistic than thought out in cold logical terms.
I'm glad you got the book "Lost Dublin" and saw the photo. From what I can see the soldier I think is a British Tommy. At least that is what the uniform appears to be but WW 1 is not my speciality.
I well remember the outside of Littles in my childhood.

Regards      Quaxer