Author Topic: Help finding GGGrandfather - Robert Eadie Co Down 1825  (Read 8651 times)

Offline RWJE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding GGGrandfather - Robert Eadie Co Down 1825
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 August 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Dathai. Really appreciate your response. Many thanks. What muddies the waters slightly is that there was also a family of Eddy's on the Ards peninsula at the same time. Some of these have the same names but can be separated out as they have siblings with different names born at the same time. Is there any way to check the spouses name on this certificate before I go to Dublin to get it? What worries me is the date of the marriage is 1877. The Hugh Eadie that I want had a daughter Maryann born on Dec 28 1876 in Bureaugh Kircubbin, a son John born on Dec 25 1877 and Robert who is my direct ancestor who was born on Jan 22 1880. On Maryann's birth certificate it already has Matilda with Eadie as the surname and McKeown as her maiden name. So I would have expected the marriage before 1876. Matilda was born in 1853 and died in 1918. Do you know of a way of checking the maiden name of the spouse on the Hugh Eddy marriage certificate before I go to Dublin? 

Offline RWJE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 August 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
I should also say in response to an earlier comment that Eddy tends to be a Presbyterian spelling and Eadie tends to be Church of Ireland right back to Hugh Eadie buried in St Columbs cathedral in Derry who died on 17th December in 1697

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 August 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
If you note the marriage is registered in the 1st Quarter of 1877 so could also have occurred in Dec 1876.
You may pick up the date of the marriage from one of the pay sites.

Dathai

edited to add
Matilda does say 33 yrs married in 1911 if i have the right lady
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Kircubben/Rureagh/266234/

Offline RWJE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 August 17 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dathai. It looks right. I had got confused as there was another Hugh Eddy who was born in 1826 and died in January 1903 who was married to Eliza Maxwell. They had two children Eddy on 11th September 1872 and Ephraim Maxwell Eadie 6th July 1865. Both Hugh Eadie and Hugh Eddy lived in Kircubbin so whoever was filling in the marriage certificate must have misspelled the name or got them mixed up. I will try to get the certificate the next time I am in Dublin. Appreciate your help.

Offline RWJE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 August 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Dathai. I got the certificate. It has a Robert Eddy of Ballyfrenis named as the father. Managed to get the death certificate as well. Really pleased to get back as far as 1793 due to your help. Have been doing a bit more work. I managed to get a reference to Robert Eddy at the marriage of his daughter in Newtownards.I am going to explore this and the link to Gilbert Eadie Eddy depending on the document who leased land in the same place 15 years before Robert was born. Again thanks for your help
Robert

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline RWJE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 September 17 12:56 BST (UK) »
Dathai
Thanks again. Much appreciated. I have now had time to go through and get these ones. They look good.
Many thanks again
Robert

Offline RWJE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 September 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
Dathai
Just to let you know I managed to get William Sprott's (son) death certificate. It shows his mother had a maiden name spelled Eadie although on the marriage it is spelled Eddy. The spelling issue is a real nightmare.
I am going to call into the Church to see if their records show anything about Robert Eddy / Eady / Eadie before the marriages. One was Church of Ireland Kircubbin and the other was the First Presbyterian in Newtownards
Thanks again for your help
Robert

Offline RWJE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 September 17 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I did not realise that Robert Eady was married twice and had been back and forward to New Zealand with his brother. I have located a gravestone in Donaghadee Church of Ireland which showed he died on April 17 1847, aged 48 getting me back to 1799.

He may possibly a son of the James Eady of Loughriscouse who leased land from Lord Londonderry in 1789. See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/E/EaEm.htm

or related to Thomas Eady of Donaghadee mentioned in the tithe book for Donaghadee in 1834 See http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/donaghadee-parish.php#.Wbm-CsiGNdg

Are there any copies of the applotment books on-line? or is it a trip to PRONI? Also do these books give any details of the rest of the family?
Thanks
Robert