Author Topic: Florence Cartwright -Robert Dines (Dynes)  (Read 7135 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Cartwright -Robert Dines (Dynes)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 June 09 17:32 BST (UK) »
when looking for Wilfred Holden on Freebmd I could not find the marriage, but 'Hey Presto' looking for Florence there it was.

Perhaps you typed in Wilfred - he's down as Wilfrid

Anna (not posteria ;))
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline henery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 June 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks anna for repliy
when looking for Wilfred Holden on Freebmd I could not find the marriage, but 'Hey Presto' looking for Florence there it was.

Perhaps you typed in Wilfred - he's down as Wilfrid

Anna (not posteria ;))
  no. 18
Green,Price,Burt,Jenkins,Dines,Hobbs,Rhodes,Herring,Couch,Walter,Hopkins,Coten,Deacon,Spencer

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 June 09 19:22 BST (UK) »
On 31/03/1925 Florence Dines (age shown as 36) returned to Australia. She travelled on the "Hobsons Bay" from London to Melbourne. Her occupation is given as “Home Duties” and her last address in UK was “Rothsay”, Chandler’s Ford, Southampton - which seems to confirm that the lady who arrived in 1924 was the correct person.

Incidentally, Robert Imrie Dines does appear on the 1901 census with his parents and two siblings but on Ancestry (everyone will be amazed to learn) their surname has been mistranscribed. They all suffered from a case of transposed vowels. According to the census, he was born in Kilburn.

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 June 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
On 8th February 1922 a Mrs Florence Holden (shown as aged 33) sailed from London to Melbourne on the “Berrima”. Her last address in UK is given as Manor Farm, Squirrels Heath, Romford.

This might not be the correct lady but she seems to be the only possible “fit” on the passenger lists that I can see.

The Dines family were living in Romford in 1901 but they were all in Dartford, Kent in 1911.

If this is the correct lady, then we would need to find a marriage in Australia from 1922 to 1924 inclusive.

posteria

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 June 09 20:30 BST (UK) »

On 9th June 1949, a Florence Dines, Widow, aged 65 sailed from London to Melbourne on the “Strathaird“. Her last address in UK is shown as Carinja, Berrynarbor (wherever that might be ?).

This could possibly be your lady and I have not found a record of her coming back, as yet.

posteria

Offline dee melody

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 June 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
Posteria, Berrynabor is near Ilfracombe, Devon.

Dee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Melody: Carrick, Attymass, Ballina, County Mayo
Cassidy:Mayo/Leitrim
Granaghan: Crossmolina, County Mayo
Mullens: Kensington, London

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 June 09 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Dee

Thank you. That information seems to bear out what henery thought ...

Florence is believed to have lived in Devon maybe after death of Robert who may have died in an aircrash.

henery

Two DH9 machines crashed over Melbourne on 21/04/1927 killing four RAAF personnel, including Flight Lieutenant R I Dines. Some digitised documents relating to the crash can be found on the following site ....

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

.... by choosing "Search Now" and then entering Crash over Melbourne in the "Keywords" box and 1927 in the "Dates" box and then clicking on "Search". (There are probably several other ways to get to the documents but the method outlined does work).

posteria

Offline henery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hello posteria
You seem to have located Florence correctly. Ilfracombe North Devon is the last known family memory.
Thanks Dee for your contribution re: Berrynabor. 

The Naa.au. site you gave gives details of evidence to the Enquiry commission.
Thanks for all your efforts in this involved investigation involving two continents.
Henery :) :)
Green,Price,Burt,Jenkins,Dines,Hobbs,Rhodes,Herring,Couch,Walter,Hopkins,Coten,Deacon,Spencer

Offline SDines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 January 13 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Henery,

I can help you.

Florence Cartwright (of Rotherham) and Robert Imrie Dines were my grandparents. I am a daughter of their son, Robert Imrie Dines (b. 1927 in Brighton, Victoria, Australia). My grandmother, Florence Cartwright, returned to England from Australia with my father shortly after his birth. They lived in Ilfracombe and other towns listed in these posts. My father's father, also named Robert Imrie Dines, was English by birth, migrated to Australia in the 1920's and became a pilot at the rank of Flight Lieutenant in the Royal Australian Air Force. He was killed in an air show for the Duke and Duchess of York (the late Queen Mother) in April 1927, a couple of months before my father was born.

My father is the Robert Imrie Dines whose death is reported in another post above in September 2002 in Swanage, Dorset.

I can give you more info if it would be helpful, and I have some photos of my grandmother too.

Cheers, Sarah