Author Topic: Please help find Charles Rootsey!  (Read 11514 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please help find Charles Rootsey!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 August 14 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Welcome back to Rootschat  ;D

Looks like I'm still saying hello to family members but none of the other posters are replying.

Fingers crossed they haven't all changed their email addresses and someone comes back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Oaksdane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again, 
Nice to see someone replying here.

I'm aware that Darlene seems to be no longer interested,  I have been in contact with her, all the old email addresses are dead ends.

As to Allan's post most recently, If you have anything on Charles Rootsey (born abt 1810 London, sentenced to 14 years in Australia), I'd like to know anything about him or his family in England.

I'm unsure about your Charles Edgar Rootsey,  Happy to help where if I can.  I have information about our Charles and his family in Australia but nothing in the old dart.

Cheers,
Ken   :D
Rootsey - Wild - O'Brien - Wilkins

Offline Redikkin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, 
Nice to see someone replying here.

I'm aware that Darlene seems to be no longer interested,  I have been in contact with her, all the old email addresses are dead ends.

As to Allan's post most recently, If you have anything on Charles Rootsey (born abt 1810 London, sentenced to 14 years in Australia), I'd like to know anything about him or his family in England.

I'm unsure about your Charles Edgar Rootsey,  Happy to help where if I can.  I have information about our Charles and his family in Australia but nothing in the old dart.

Cheers,
Ken   :D

Hi there just recieved my grandfathers rather brilliant attempt at a family tree. He was sidney rootsey based in London and he passed away in the mid 90's and have been reading the extensive information along with which I read about Charles. I will look back over this particular person and see what I can find out for you?
Nikki

Offline Oaksdane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nikki,

Pleased to discuss with you, I have sent you a message also.

Hopefully we share the same Charles Rootsey as a relative.  Most happy to exchange any info possible.

Kind regards,
Ken

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan UK ,
   Have you seen Charles Edgar Rootsey's war service record (61 pages) ?

Here it is http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=8037527

regards,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ke4n

Nikki wont be able to reply to your personal mesage until her post count goes up to 3

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Alan UK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 October 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan UK ,
   Have you seen Charles Edgar Rootsey's war service record (61 pages) ?

Here it is http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=8037527

regards,
  Ros

Hi Ros

No, I hadnt seen that one. I have a whole bunch of other war records but not this, which shows me addresses for his parents. my uncle Dennis Rootsey (92) told me he had left school at 14 and got on a ship looking for work in Australia on his own and joined the AIF. I am not sure if he was in Gallipoli but definitely in Palestine and Egypt where he met his dad who had been in the trenches (Old Contemptibles) and were moved out once they had been decimated.

Both were milkmen who lived in  Mountpleasant Road, Lewisham.  Interestingly Charles Rootsey of Snowy river seems to have had a cattle station called Mount Pleasant too!

Grandad left the AIF in Port Said after the war  and went home to look after my great grandfather who had been sent home in a cage due to shellshock. great Grandad died in a lone bombing on a small village after being removed from London because of the bombing.

Offline Oaksdane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 November 15 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Re Charles Edgar Rootsey,
I have Charles Rootsey in my family tree, who had a property or " Run" as they were then called.   Mt. Pleasant being 5000 acres carrying  600 cattle as at (Government Gazette No. 112, published on 30th September, 1848) -  Name of run. Mount Pleasant Estimated area, five thousand acres, Estimated grazing capabilities, six hundred cattle. Bounded on the south by Thompson's run, commencing at the Forest range, north-east of Pipeclay Creek, following the Bobundra Creek three miles on the north side of the Woolway Road ; on the east by the road to Woolway, one mile to a cattle track fronting Mr Boyd's Hill station hut, and continue the track, to the Rocky Creek , thence by the Creek to a little lake ; on the north by a line one mile to the top of woolway range, continue along the range to some scattered gum trees , and on the west by a line from the said trees between Boyds lower station to the top of the Forest range ; east from Pipeclay creek following the range. its junction with the Bobundera Creek

He is not related to Charles Edward Rootsey to the best of my knowledge, I would be pleased to discuss my Charles Rootsey, Charles was sentenced in London (Middlesex)  on 21st Feb,1828 for Deportation for 14 years.   He travelled on the vessel "Albion" arriving November 1st 1828 in Australia.

Regard to All here
Ken

Offline Alan UK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 November 15 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I think your Charles Rootsey was some man! From a convict to having his own land and being remembered, shows what is possible.
Have you had a look at the land at all? It must be interesting to see it.

As to his background, that's not easy to work out from the family tree I have been given. Looking at his age of 17 when he left on the Albion. The only Charles Rootsey I have shows he was born 1813 and died 1825, father Samuel, a noted Botanist in the Bristol Area married to Elizabeth Wolfe, so unless he moved early which is entirely possible in those years, its a different Charles.