Author Topic: Glyn Ceiriog 1911???  (Read 6937 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Glyn Ceiriog 1911???
« on: Wednesday 17 June 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone has been successful in locating any of their ancestors in Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog in the 1911 census?  ???

It comes under Merionethshire, Corwen, Llangollen in 1911 according to the National Archives, but try as I might I cannot find any of my family there, let alone other people who I know lived there all their lives!

I contacted Findmypast about it to enquire whether they could check if there was any problems, but they said they were unable to perform checks like that and that I should contact the National Archives so they can check their mirror version of the site. I will be doing this later on but I wanted to check if anyone has found their relatives in the area on it and if so how?!!

I am also posting this query on the Merionethshire board as Glyn Ceiriog swapped counties frequently!

Look forward to hearing from anyone!

MrsT
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glyn Ceiriog 1911???
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
I might have some  distant Stokes rellies there. I'll go check for you.

It must be in Merionethshire because of the Corwen RD. My Chirk rellies were grouped with Shropshire because of the Oswestry RD.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
They don't seem to appear in Merionethshire or Denbighshire  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 21:02 BST (UK) »
Yeah I think there is a problem with it - I tried looking by name, by address (in English and in Welsh) by census reference etc - and nothing. It's not listed as one of the missing areas or anything so it seems very weird to me!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if this is why I can't find great uncle John Parry - tried everything to find him. I Iknow he was in the area because my Mum said so but I've tried an Eng & Wales search as well.  I've used up about 100 credits looking for him   :-\

Gadget

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
I'll email the National Archives and enquire!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
Please report back  :)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
OK email sent and awaiting a reply!!

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 June 09 11:01 BST (UK) »
OK - so my first email I got this reply:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the 1911 census online service. I am sorry that you have encountered problems searching for this particular district.

Having carried out a few searches this morning, I am pleased to tell you that I have found a number of entries for this location - let me tell you which search criteria I used:

From the home page I clicked on the 'Full person search' button and then the 'Show advanced fields' button. I then inserted the following
information:
Last name: Griffiths (with the wildcard option)
County/other: Merionethshire (from the drop down menu)
District/other: Corwen (from the drop down menu)
Residential place: Llangollen
Census Reference: RG14PN34234

I then clicked on 'search' and the results returned 11 names.

Similarly, by using the same criteria and substituting Griffiths for Jones, I found the search results returned 61 names.

I must also stress that the entire content of the 1911 Census is now online (minus the redacted infirmity column on each household schedule for data protection reasons).

If you have any further questions please feel free to get in touch and I hope that this explanation has been of use.

May I also take this opportunity to wish you every success in your research.

So I then replied to say that none of these people were who I was looking for and that it still hadn't really helped me - and gave them a few names of people I was looking for - so I got this excellent reply!

The family that you’re looking for appear at Upper Factory Cottage, Glyn, Ruabon.  This is how the address is entered on the schedule.  The National Archives’ reference for this page is: RG14/34236 schedule 67.

The head of the household was Sarah BROWN, a 63 year old widow.  Also in the house were two of her unmarried children, Eliza (24) and Noah (21) and a married daughter Sarah GRIFFITHS (28) with her husband Harry (transcribed as Haray) and their son John Henry GRIFFITHS aged 6.  The final member of the household is a 2 month old nurse child called Richard Glyn JONES.

I have taken a copy of the relevant entry and will be happy to send it to you, along with the relevant sheets from the Enumerators’ Summary Book (RG78/1978) which include a description of the area covered by this enumeration district, as well as the page from the book, listing the family’s immediate neighbours.  If you would like me to send the copies to you, please let me have your full postal address.

The houses in this piece number (RG 14/34236) are all part of the Civil Parish of Glyn Traian and of the Ecclesiastical Parish of St. John the Baptist, Pontfadog.  There is no mention of Glyn Ceiriog in the description of the district but nor, for that matter, is there any mention of Glyn Ruabon. Yet all the pages that I have viewed are described on the schedules themselves as being in Glyn Ruabon or, sometimes, Glyn, near Ruabon.  I have also looked at some of the schedules in RG14/32434 and RG14/32435 and they are also described variously as Glyn or Glyn Ruabon but I have also seen at least one entry here where the address is given as Glyn Ceiriog, Nr. Ruabon.

Tudor BROWN (aged 2) is to be found at Pistill Garth, Glyn living with his parents Thomas and Sarah A BROWN (RG14/34235 sch.145).

I can find no evidence that any of the census returns for this area are missing, either from the original records, or online.  RG14/34234 is a relatively small piece containing only 58 schedules and 273 people and as far as I can tell, they are all on the 1911 website.

You would not be able to view the original documents at Kew – they are closed until January 2012 and even then, access to the census returns will be through the images which are available online.  This is also the case with the earlier censuses.

If you are still having difficulties finding anyone in this area in the 1911 census, please let me have their full details and I will see what I can find.

So there we have it! How very odd!