Author Topic: David Mayne or Maines from Angus, Scotland  (Read 3101 times)

Offline TBird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Mayne or Maines from Angus, Scotland
« on: Friday 19 June 09 04:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a David Mayne or Maines from the area of Angus, Scotland. 

David, Sr. left Scotland before the age of 21 and went to Ireland.  There he married Jane Henderson of Antrim or Tyrone County.  We know they were in Belfast during the 1911 census.  Jane's father was James Henderson.

We know of three children (maybe four) of David Sr. and Jane - they are David Jr, Robert, Jane (Jennie) and possibly Anne.

David Jr is my Great Grandfather.  He immigrated to Canada ca. 1889.  He married Deborah Jane Jones in Saskatchewan, Canada.

We know of David Jr's brother, Robert Mayne, who married to Lizzie Hewitt in Belfast.  Both Robert and Lizzie stayed in Ireland. Robert and Lizzie's children as per the 1911 Irish Census are:  David, Annie, Mark, Lizzie, Robert and Thomas.

David Jr and Deborah's children (all born in Saskatchewan, Canada) are:  James, Robert, David, Debra, Violet, Thomas, Elizabeth, Inda (or India), Lydia, Daniel, Benjamin and Roy.  They homesteaded in Wood Mountain, Saskatchewan, Canada and also lived in Calgary, Alberta later on in their lives after their ranch was sold. 

James Henderson Mayne is my Grandfather.

Anyone who has any information regarding those mentioned above, please contact me.  We are not only searching for our family history, we are also searching for living relatives. 

Thanks very much...
Mayne, Henderson, McDougall

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David Mayne or Maines from Angus, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi TBird,
welcome to rootschat,
It is against Rootschat policy to mention names of any living relatives.
Once you have made 3 postings you will be able to send personnel messages to other rootschatters concerning living relatives.
Angus in Scotland used to be called Forfarshire.
Hopefully the moderator will move your post into Angus were we can start sifting through the info you have provided and help solve the mysteries,
Do you have a date of birth for your David Mayne/Mains
The photo of David Mayne is that a military uniform.
If it is it maybe worth posting it in the Military page of rootschat for a fellow rootschatter to identify the uniform.
kind regards,Billy.
ps,
I have just had a quick look on the IGI.
www.familysearch.org

There is a David Alexander Main born 4th April 1870.
Edzell,Angus.
Father
George Main
Mother
Jean Green.
Could this be your David?
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
hi TBird

welcome to rootschat  :)

the IGI has(parents david mayne & jane henderson) -

robert maynes born 12th aug 1865 belfast antrim ireland
david mayne born 7th aug 1868 belfast antrim ireland
jane maynes born 5th feb 1871 antrim ireland
thomas mains 3rd jan 1876 belfast antrim ireland( maybe  :-\ )

where about did you find the reference to angus , scotland and
how old was david mayne Sr. on the 1911 census ?

yours

ev

ps billy   :) -  agree we need an age for david Sr.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline TBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy and ev,

Thanks very much for your time and effort. :)   Sorry it took so long to reply, but it's been crazy here the last month. :P

Thanks for looking them up on the IGI and thanks for giving me the website name for IGI, Billy.  That is definitely my David, ev - same birthday, Aug 7/1868.  As for the David Main that Billy found, he is not my David Jr.

We have hired someone to do some researching for us and he found the birth record for David Jr - born on August 7/1868 at 57 Railway Av, Belfast to David Maines and Jane Maines (formerly Henderson). We have a copy of the birth record registered in the District of Belfast in the Union of Belfast in the County of Antrim, dated September 3/1868.

As well, he found the marriage record for David Sr and Jane.  They married on Nov 16/1857 and David Sr was 21 yrs old, so we can assume he was born in 1836.

It also states on David Sr's marriage record that he was a widower, labourer, born in Brichan and his father was deceased.  For Jane - she is not of age (under 18), a spinster, born in Ballyreagh, daughter of James Henderson, Farmer, in the presence of James McCausland and James McConnel.  We have a copy of that certificate as well.

I guess the problem is that the town of Ballyreagh is near the town of Cookstown in the Parish of Derryloran, yet the marriage is taking place in the Parish of Carnteel.  He thinks it may be a misspelling and mispronunciation of a town in Carteel Parish called Balragh.  He is still searching and we haven't heard back from him yet on this.  Since I don't know anything about the different towns and parishes, I really have no idea.

However I have found that there is a Brechan in Scotland near Angus with some Maines in the Parish there - so I am trying to follow that possibility.  On David Jr's birth record, it has been changed an notarized from Maines to Mayne in 1938 by my Great Uncle Roy and another person, Jim Dunn (I'm assuming a lawyer or something, since my Great Uncle Roy did not go to the UK).  David Jr was very ill in the late 1930's and almost died, so I'm thinking that he told his youngest son something about Ireland at that time, since Roy was living at home still.

As for the photo's, the military pic is of David Jr in the North West Mounted Police in Canada.  He had several postings around Canada including the Yukon during the goldrush under Supt. Perry.

The other pic, it seems I have mis-named - this is David Sr, JANE MAYNE, and Jennie(Mayne) Wetherall.  I will download it again and name it as it should be.

And thanks for letting me know about the Rootschat policy of living relatives, Billy. :-[

Well, must go, it's a beautiful day here and would like to go play in the dirt (garden!! Ha, ha!) for a while before it gets too hot.  It's supposed to be 31 Celsius today!  Thanks very much to you both, I appreciate your help and support.

Regards,
  TBird

Mayne, Henderson, McDougall

Offline rosesnrein

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 December 17 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I see these posts are quite old but I just ran across them. Thought you should know we are related and probably should compare notes on David Mayne/Deborah Jones. Debbie is the sister of my great grandmother, Rachel LeBethel Jones. Rachel's son, Leslie is my grandfather.

Right now I am searching for information about their parents - I believe they are Benjamin Jones and Joanna Wells. Really drawing a blank on Joanna. Have you pursued that at all?

Let me know if you are interested in comparing notes or whatever. Merry Christmas!