Author Topic: 'Cross' family Penley millers  (Read 15394 times)

Offline lizzielawton13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Cross' family Penley millers
« on: Friday 19 June 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to find the Cross family of Penley or Ellesmere, can anyone help? 

I have census records to 1841 with the family being millers at Penley, and there seems to be several mills there owned by different Cross families.  As far as I can tell there were two mills owned by two branches of the Cross family, Penley mill and then Cross Mill at Maelor South. 

I am looking for George Cross born 1834, son of William Cross married to Anna, presumably at Maelor South.  But have now hit a wall and cannot find anything else about them.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Cross' family Penley millers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 09 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

I've been trying to find George and the family that you mentioned on the 1841 Census in both Flintshire andShropshire but I don't see George. Parts of that area might be missing in the1841 so I checked on the 1851 but still can't see George.

You say that you have the family to 1841 - where were they then  :-\ 

There is a family of Cross, with head of hsld a miller,  in Bettisfield, Hanmer on the 1841 but not the family that you mentioned.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lizzielawton13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 09 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Ive just dug out my paper print offs of all my Cross lines, and I have it here.  I remember doing this one as they didnt turn upon any searches so I opened up each census for the area and went through it page by page, I think they were listed as Corfs or something.  Georges father william had definatly been a miller by the time George Married in 1872.  IGI has them as george son of william son of william.

Anyway, I think this could be them.  1841 census ellesmere, district 6 , pge 2.
penley
william cross       64               ag lab
elizbeth                       63
william                 31                ag lab
thomas                28                ag lab
george                 10

there is also on page 1
penley mill   
francis cross    45          miller
sarah                     35   
Ann                        19
etc etc... but no george listed.       

theres is also a web site you may be interested in
www.cpat.org.uk/projects/longer/histland/maeolr/msindust.htm
which discusses the different mills in the area and talks about penley mill AND Cross mill.

Are you related to this line then,or is it just interest that has you searching?
George would be my g.g grandad.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 09 10:21 BST (UK) »
Not related to the Cross family but have ancestors in the area so have quite a few old records and thought I might be able to assist you.

I saw the William and Elizabeth, with George but you had said mother was Anna:

I am looking for George Cross born 1834, son of William Cross married to Anna, presumably at Maelor South.  But have now hit a wall and cannot find anything else about them.

If the ones that you list are the correct family, then we can start looking. What are you trying to discover - a baptism for George, a marriage/baptisms of his parents - anything else?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 09 10:33 BST (UK) »
Although they show in the Ellesmere RD, they are in Penley, Flintshire itself. Francis is the miller at Penley Mill. The other one that I saw was in a neighbouring village -   Bettisfield, Hanmer, Flintshire

HO107/1408 Book 3 Folio 9 Page 11

Edward Cross,  aged 57,  was a down as a Miller

Gadget

Offline lizzielawton13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 June 09 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hallo again

I think the only (near) absolutes I have is that on Georges marriage cert in1872 it says his father was a miller called William, and he was 38 years old.  The census state he was born in either 1831 or 1834 depending on which one it is, and they say he was born in Overton/Penley or Ellesmere, depending on which one you read.

Do your records show a Cross Mill at Mealor South?  Who was there? I cannot find where that is in the census' so if you could check thatd be great.  Also do you know if there are parish records available for these villages?  GENUKI seems a bit hard to understand if these exist or not.

thanks again for any and all help :-)
LL/nev

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 09 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I'll check out the Cross Mill for you later today and look through what I have in more detail.

Church records for the Flintshire parishes are available from Clwyd FHS in booklet form via Genfair:

http://www.genfair.co.uk/

I have some of them, but not recent ones as my Puleston/Lee line moved to the St Martins/Selattyn area of Shropshire in the 1750s.

Paul, one of our members does go to Hawarden Records Office regularly  and I'lll contact him about this thread.

Regards

Gadget

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a William Cross with wife Ann and son George and some other children in Overton, but William is down as an Ag Lab, and george is down as 8 years old

H0107/ 1408/10
folio 24
page 11

Transcribed as Gross ??? ??? ??? Looks like Cross to me

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ricky  - Overton's not far away.  I don't see a suitable George on the 1851 yet - moving between Eng and Wales is a pain !

In 1851, there seem to be two Penley Mills. They are in ED 5a and ED 6.

Penley Mill in ED 6 was occupied by the Price family -
HO107/1994 F 66   P 1

Head was Hannah Price, widow, (age obliterated) , late miller's wife, b. Ellesmere. Children, all in their 20s, were born in Erbistock, Denbighshire - not very far away.  One of the sons is a George Price, aged 22.

In ED5a, Penley Mill was occupied by Francis Cross as in 1841:

HO107/1994 F 58  P 1
Cross
Francis, 56, miller - master employing 2 men
Sarah, ?, b. Overton
Pamela, ?
Charles, 14
Sarah, 12
Francis, 11
Margaret, 4
Philip Chase, servant, 22, miller's servant, b. Halghton
Edward Blake, servant,  15, miller's servant

all b. Penley unless stated

I'm wondering if this last mill became known as Cross Mill to distinguish it from the one that the Prices occupied.

Gadget