Author Topic: Fossoway - The Old Manse 18thC  (Read 16171 times)

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fossoway - The Old Manse 18thC
« on: Friday 19 June 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
Not sure if Fossoway and Tullibole parish comes under Kinross-shire or Perthshire, but I have just found baptism records from 1757 to 1774 showing my ancestors living at 'old Manse of Fossoway'.   Can anyone help me with any further information about this place?

Thank you.

David.

Offline Lucan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fossoway - The Old Manse 18thC
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 00:46 GMT (UK) »
The "Annals Of Kinross-shire" which are online have a bit on Fossoway. I have not visited it, but the graveyard is still there.
The Manse may have been of turf and timber and now gone. A new Manse and Church was built at Crook of Devon to replace Fossoway and the Church at Tullibole.
It is in Kinross 
With a surname I may be able to tell you more.

Kinross Museum
http://www.kinrossmuseum.co.uk/
Kinross-shire, Scotland

Offline Lucan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 00:59 GMT (UK) »
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=26531

Organisation The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
Alternative Name(s)
Canmore ID 26531
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CHURCH
County KINROSS-SHIRE
Parish FOSSOWAY (PERTH AND KINROSS)
Council PERTH AND KINROSS
NGR NO 0158 0192
Latitude, Longitude 56.199669N, 3.587864W
Images 0
Archaeological Notes
NO00SW 6 0158 0912

(NO 0158 0192) Fossoway Church (NR) (remains of)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1982)

The church at Fossoway, like that at Tulliebole (NO00SE 8) was taken down in 1729, and the manse and glebe were sold. A new church, replacing the two, was then built at Tulliebole.
OSA 1796.

The outline of this church is still evident on the ground by the collapsed rubble remains of its walls, except for the E half of the N wall, which has been entirely removed. It measured 17.0m E-W by 5.5m transversely. A headstone dated 1694 is among several in the graveyard.
Revised at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (W D J) 20 December 1967.

Also
http://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/~cmas/site.php?id=128531
Kinross-shire, Scotland

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Lucan,

Thank you very much for all this information.   My g-g-g-grandfather, Thomas Robertson, was born there in 1757, the son of Thomas Robertson (and Katherine Blyth).   After my posting last June I did visit Kinross and the site of the old churchyard - very overgrown and dilapidated it is!  It would appear that the present Fossoway Lodge is built on the site of the former house which was burnt down at some stage (I do not know when).  I would be interested to know the date of the map you attached, as the burning down of the Old Manse presumably pre-dates that map.  My e-mail is dmrbraceby [at] hotmail.com if you wish to communicate off-line.

Many thanks indeed. 

David.

Offline Lucan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I have your email as I am a trustee of the Kinross Museum. I will send it to our membership secretary.
In Fossoway a James Robertson (Bairn) was treated by "Witch" Margret Lister in 1556 for the falling sickness. The Annals of Auchterarder.
http://www.tulbol.demon.co.uk/witches_maze.html
The map is the OS. 1859.

Kinross-shire, Scotland

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Lucan,

Now there's a thing!  Prompted by your information and having looked up the web-link you sent me, I have just e-mailed the Friends of the Museum for more infoemation about their activities.  I went in to the 'old' Library in the portakabin by the Town Hall last September, and got some very helpful information - which I subsequently followed up with Yvonne Bell at the AKBell when I there just afterwards.  However, there remain several queries - the date when the Old Manse was burnt down, whether there exist any records of ownership of the Old Manse, whether there exists a copy of Stobie's Plan of the Parish of Fossoway (prepared in 1786 according to 'The Annals'), etc.

Thanks again,

David.

Offline Lucan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I have looked hard for a copy of Stobie's Plan of the Parish of Fossoway as well.

However we very recently have got a lot of uncataloged farm plans and title deeds in a delicate condition that are not cataloged yet.
But I do not expect to look at them for at least a month as we are not ready to catalog.
Kinross-shire, Scotland

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Lucan,

Just returning to your first reply that Fossoway and Tullibole parish is in Kinross.  After my first posting last Summer, I discovered that the Fossoway part of the parish had actually been in the administrative County of Perthshire (and only the Tullibole part in Kinross-shire) until the Boundaries Commission effected their rationalisation of boundaries in 1891.  This moved the whole parish under the administration of Kinross.   My ancestors moved from Fossoway to Menstrie, in Logie parish, at the end of the 18th century, which was also affected by the Boundaries Commission changes - and I know just how complicated this can make research!
Regards,

David.

Offline DavidofLincs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 March 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Lucan,

Don't know whether you have any influence over these matters, but my e-mail to the Friends sent on 9/3 has not yet produced any acknowledgement.

David