Author Topic: O'Neill - Master of Lurgan Workhouse  (Read 47850 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Neill - Master of Lurgan Workhouse
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 02 December 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
His father James ran a shop at 5, King Street Newry in 1881.  In the 1901 census there is a James O’Neill and wife Sarah living at 13, King Street Newry.  In the 1911 census there is a James O’Neill and wife Sarah living at 2, King Street Newry.  These census records give the following information:-
1901 census               1911 census
13 King Street               2 King Street

Perhaps I can clear up some confusion here. The numbers in the census are not street numbers but the number of the house on the enumerator's form. In 1911 you can look at form B to see if there is any actual street number. In this case the street address is 5 King Street which matches the 1881 details mentioned.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002269760/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NorthDown1986

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Dont know if this is any use to anyone posting on here but I am the Great Grandson of James Burling McCartney who married Emma Balmer (divorced after the war). Their son * McCartney is my Granda and my Dads dad, he currently resides in Glasgow. JB McCartney died on 29 December 1997 and is buried at Dundonald Cemetry, I would be interested in researching my family histort further in depth ... would my roots orginate in Co Armagh? Or if any one has questions for me then please fire ahead

Offline carletonwithane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
 :)Your great grandmother is kneeling front right in the golden wedding photograph (1945) of your great great grandfather and great great grandmother that I posted on this site.  I was hoping someone would fill in the names as I can only recognise 5 of the family apart from Henry O’Neile and Emma. Emma McCartney lived in Belfast and was very close to her sister, my mother, Kathleen (extreme left in photograph) who also lived in Belfast until her death in 1966.  My eldest brother Michael was very good friends with Ross and Kerry.  I can still remember them all.  Your roots go back to 5 King Street, Newry Co. Down, then Co. Armagh. 

Offline NorthDown1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Thats a good photo i must pass it onto my dad to look at. I have only ever met Kerry once in my lifetime so i dont know him on speaking terms but i would love to get in contact with him.... When did JB and Emma get married?

Offline kerryjmcc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 13 December 12 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm the Kerry in the Family Tree. Just joined this website so no idea how to make e-mail contact with you personally.

I can however name all the people in the photograph (24.11.2012) except the name of the Carelton young girl (centre front).

Front row kneeling from the left: Patricia (Paddy) Wood (nee O'Neile), my mother, Emma Balmer (Billie) McCartney (nee O'Neile).

Middle row from the left: Kathleen (Kitty) Carelton (nee O'Neile), James Alexander (Ackie) Weir, Elizabeth Jane (Norah) Weir (nee O'Neile), JH, ER, Annie Beatrice (Nan) McMahon (nee O'Neile), Marie Alice (Minnie) O'Neile (nee ???).

Back row from left: Murray Eugene (Murray) O'Neile, William Herbert (Bertie) O'Neill, John Henry (Jack) O'Neile, James Owen Roe (Jim) O'Neile.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 13 December 12 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    When you have done another two posts you will be able to use the Personal Message (PM) system. You just click on the little green scroll below the name of the person you want to contact and then send a private message.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello All!
In Reply No. 38 I surmised that Jane O'Neill's maiden could have been Jane Bell.
This was achieved by superior brainpower and copious amounts of midnight oil and also water from Tullamore.
I have now seen the document which confirms this (a goldmine - PRONI Wills).
For the moment - am continuing to dig - Jane Bell had two brothers William Bell and Joseph Bell and their father was (also) Joseph Bell (which will now bring us into the late 1700's).
Location - the townlands of Lisnavaughog and Lissize and also Drumlough in the parish of Drumgath (all near Rathfriland).
A quick check through some sites hints that there could be some zillions of Bells there, so it may be a while before we can sort it out.
Unless somebody has the direct knowledge? You relatives have given us most of the info about the (easy) RECENT past. How about now getting down to some serious work?
Happy New Year to you all
Hamlets
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 20:31 BST (UK) »
Back another Bell Generation:-

Henry O'Neill and Jane Bell married 13 Nov 1835 in Rathfriland 3rd Presby. Church.
Jane's father was James Bell of Drumlough (abt 1778 - 5 April 1868). His Will is available on PRONI Website (a fantastic resource).
Henry's father was William O'Neill of Carrivemaclone (abt 1780 - abt 1860). Carrivemaclone is at the top of Newry Hill and in the parish of Killevy.
In 1836 William is recorded as having an Inn on the Dublin Road, Newry.
Another of William's sons was James O'Neill (abt 1807 - 19 July 1883)
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline LJBeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 01 January 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone! I'm new here and a bit overwhelmed by all of this information!

My great-grandmother was Annie Elizabeth O'Neil who, from what I've seen here, was one of the 4 daughters of James O'Neil. She was married twice, first to Henry Ernest Mellon and then to my great-grandfather James Marcus Beattie. The Ernest Mellon mentioned as one of the mourners at James B O’Neil’s funeral is her son, and my father has memories of visiting relatives by the name of Balmer back in the 1960s so I’m pretty sure we’re on the right track.

Until now we've had next to no information about Annie’s family so this talk of going back centuries is pretty amazing. The only things we have are a copy James Bell O’Neill’s will from 1925 (which I think lists his sisters’ married names if anyone is interested) and a newspaper cutting of the marriage of Mr Murray E. O’Neile and Miss Aileen Victoria Simpson in 1936:

poster has removed image

I would absolutely love if someone could send me details of the family tree and any photographs/stories/anything you might have relating to my great-grandmother and her family. My branch of the family is completely in the dark about all of it and would be over the moon to know more.

I look forward to chatting to you :)

Happy New Year!
Ireland - Beattie, McAlister, O'Neill, Smyth, Mulgrave

Suffolk - Farrant, Mitchell, Devereux, Nunn, Canham