Author Topic: India: Kasauli Club Post Office  (Read 2131 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
India: Kasauli Club Post Office
« on: Sunday 21 June 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
There is evidence that the club once had its own post office. Is anyone able to confirm this and add more detail?
Thanks. Toby Webb.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: KASAULI CLUB POSTOFFICE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 09 11:40 BST (UK) »
Tony, I can't supply evidence about this particular Club but I  have no problem in believing that the Cub had its own Post Office.

The Clubs then were enclaves where the Brits of certain accepted categories[ commerce was IN, trade was Out] sought refuge with those of their own type! To have a PO to hand where they knew the mail was safe and could be collected easily fits.

charlotte

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: India: Kasauli Club Post Office
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you are right Charlotte, but this was certainly not always the case with such clubs. The very prestigious United Service Club in Simla, although it had the most wonderful facilities in the way of accomodation, restaurants with fine wines, numerous tennis courts etc etc, did not have its own post office. I have always found this surprising.
Thanks for your interest. Toby.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
For interest, this splendid pillar box stands just inside the Kasauli Club grounds. If anyone is aware of another like it in India , I would be very pleased to know. They were made by Suttie &  Co. in Greenock, Scotland in about 1856 and a handful still remain in use in India.
Toby.

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Toby,
 Was that  box made especially for India or were boxes like that in use in Britain in 1856?  The reason I ask is that I wonder how mail was dealt with in Indai before the Mutiny. Can you tell us please?

charlotte

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte.
It is very difficult to research the history of any particular box but pillar boxes started to appear in India in about 1859 and they were made in Great Britain against a special order. [ A Suttie box can be seen at the British Postal Museum.] Before pillar boxes arrived on Indian streets, one had to take ones letters to a Receiving House which was a post office which did no deliveries. Receiving Houses were still to be seen into the 1880's. In Simla, for example, there was a head post office which handled all deliveries with a receiving house at Boileauganj and another at Chota Simla.
If you want to know more about pillar boxes then The Letter Box Study Group is to be found on WWW.
Hope this is useful.
Toby.

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
Toby, It is interesting that there was  a special order for those boxes before the Mutiny and before the Proclamation [late 1858?].

Before 1857 presumably the East India Co ran the mail?
And Queen Vic wasn't Empress of India until 1858... so strange the boxes were ordered... I don't question what you've said, I'm just curious about the chain of events... Any comments?

charlotte

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:INDIA: Kasauli Club Post Office
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,
              Quoting from the research of Mr. Max Smith, who is highly regarded in Indian Postal History circles:-

Government Gazette Notices: BOMBAY:

Bombay Postal Advertiser (V/11/2155):
Additional pillar boxes have been placed, for the convenience of the public, at the following places: -
Apollo Bunder   , Breach Candy, Church Gate. Byculla Club etc etc.
Bombay PO 16th December 1857

The important word is surely  “ additional ”, but of course the first pillar boxes may not have been in cast iron or indeed from  G.B. Also concerning timing is that in many matters relating to the post, India copied what had already happened in Great Britain. For example, a squared circle series of cancellations used in India from 1884, seen below, was similar to that in use in G.B. 12 years earlier. I think the arrival of the pillar box in India was also a natural progression and was not connected to events in 1857.
          Also of interest is that, although on the 1st November 1858 H.M. Queen Victoria assumed the control of the territories in India “ heretofore administered in trust by the Honourable East India Company”, postage stamps continued to display East India Company until the new definitive stamps of India were put on sale on 1 Jan 1882. Queen Victoria had assumed the title of Empress in 1877 so here too was delay.

More from Max Smith,

P/434/39  Post Office proceedings for 1866
June 1866 No.1 from Riddell (Dir-Gen of POs) to Bayley (Sec to Govt); No.449 31 May: orders 150 cast iron Pillar letter boxes for the use of the Postal Dept in India.

I think that is about all I have to say. Hope it was not too boring and that the whole matter is reasonably coherent.
Toby

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 06:34 BST (UK) »
Toby, Thank you.. fascinating... and the stamp you scanned is marked Simla ;D
I hadn't realized there was a 20 yr delay until the title Empress of India was used.

Thank you for all that you have told us,

charlotte