Author Topic: Sinclair/ Wallace New Zealand  (Read 6324 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sinclair/ Wallace New Zealand
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 June 09 14:11 BST (UK) »

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 June 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
Margery SINCLAIR  (died 1877 -  Dunedin, NZ - born circa 1801)

It does seem most likely that the "Margery SINCLAIR" buried with George SINCLAIR, is his wife - known otherwise as "May".    ("May" is usually a diminutive of the names Mary or Margaret ... but possibly is also a "pet name" for Margery / Marjorie ?)

There is this (extracted) record on the IGI (the only one) ... which would seem to be a very good match for Margery (May / Mary HERON) :

Marjorie HERRON
Born :  23 December 1800      Baptised :  28 December 1800
Kinglassie, Fife
Father :   John HERRON

[Kinglassie -  approx.  2.2 miles from Leslie ("as the crow flies")  ... and close also to Wemyss]

:-\

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 June 09 14:57 BST (UK) »

... this IGI (extracted) record (as mentioned on the Fife thread)  ... seems could be the George SINCLAIR - died 1875 at Dunedin, NZ, aged 75 years ?? :

George SINCLAIR
Born :   1 January 1800 - Leslie, Fife
Father:    Alexander SINCLAIR
Mother:   Agness  (Agnes ?)  DAVIDSON

And if naming patterns have been observed, then this "George", and the "Marjorie HERRON" daughter of a "John HERRON", are quite probably the parents of

Alexander /  Mary  /  Agnes /  John *

who arrived in NZ in 1857 ?

[*   John :   A "John Heron SINCLAIR" death record has been found in NZ  ... will add this in a following post. ]

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 June 09 15:05 BST (UK) »
Burial at Northern Cemetery, Dunedin, NZ :

Block 38    Plot 2

[Note:   The (online) cemetery record, gives the name as "John Haron SINCLAIR" ... however the death index has the second name spelt as "HERON" ]

John Heron SINCLAIR - died July 1897 - 51 years (bc 1846)

Have further information for John and family, to follow (but will let you "take in" all the previous info, firstly.    :D

Lu

Offline mahatmacoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi LU, GOODNESS ME YOUV'E BEEN BUSY!!, ido really appreciate it!.

Now, to put your mind at rest regarding George Sinclair, i was the same as you,
constantly wondering if i had the right George, this went on for many years because (as you have
already stated) there are no records available for Leslie or any death records for George and Mary
Temple, this fruitless search went on for years until just recently i visited Kirkcaldy Library.

My old posts which you have read say that i believed George was b North Leith as this is where
Mary Temple hailed from, i no longer believe that George was born there, heres why.

The Library held very old books an records for Leslie Fife, one old book i found was a trade index for
all the merchants in Leslie, the book was compiled by the secretary of the Fife Family History society
his name is Andrew Campbell, this is word for word what the book said----------

SINCLAIR, GEORGE; grocer, circa 1828-43; was a merchant in Leith in 1826 when, by his marriage to
his first wife, Mary Temple, daughter of George Temple ship builder Leith, he had a son, Alexander
Temple Sinclair b june 27 1826; to Leslie by 1828, a second son Charles Hope Sinclair was born
February 13 1828. On his second marriage to Mary Heron he had the following children--
1 alexander b july 16 1834, 2 Mary b feb 26 1836, 3Agnes b oct 20 1838, 4 John b oct 21 1843.

From this moment on Lu, i have no dout that i am indeed following the correct path, the librarian assured me that mr Cambell would have been very accurate in his research and is a highly respected
person.

Having found no death for George anywhere i must assume this is because he emmigrated.

let me know what you think Lu!, will add to this later.

kindest regards Robert.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 June 09 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert

Well  ... Mr Campbell's notes are interesting (... although a historian "worth his salt", might have added / or searched for, the death of the first wife) ?      I still stand by my earlier comments ... but of course it is unfortunate that no further clues about this George SINCLAIR can be obtained from his NZ death record. 

Have you ever checked out where the name "Hope" (as in Charles Hope SINCLAIR), comes from ?    Perhaps there's a clue in that name ?

Anyway, I'll add a bit more information from New Zealand records.   Not sure though that this will lead to finding descendants at this end - it looks like a good number of these Sinclair and Wallace families, did not marry.     I haven't managed either to find records for Alexander (2) SINCLAIR or his sister Agnes.

Lu

Offline DonHutton38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 May 12 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Much of this discussion back in 2009 was focused on the question of George Sinclair's marital history. I have gone through the records time and  again and have been in touch with the descendants of a George Sinclair who lived in Leith at one time and married Mary Temple in Edinburgh in 1826. 15 years on I'm still not entirely convinced that George Sinclair who married May Heron (spellings vary in the records) in Leslie in 1833 was the same man. The following notes from my database may be of interest to the participants in the 2009 discussion if they are still interested:

"The marriage record for George and Margery Herron is actually an entry in the Leslie Parish Money Register which reads: "Sep 1   To Proclamation Money, George Sinclair and Mary Herron."

"There is considerable doubt as to whether or not George had a first marriage to Mary Temple. Some researchers think there were two George Sinclairs, both grocers, in Leslie at the same time. There is no certainty, as shown in various records held by the author (me), that the George Sinclair who came to NZ in 1857 was ever married to Mary Temple. Nevertheless, census records for Scotland show that Mary Temple was still alive in 1851 living with her 3 sons, but her George was not in the household. The marriage dates for Mary Temple and Margery Heron  and the births of their children are entirely compatible with a possible conclusion that George and Mary may have parted before he married Margery."

Whatever the case, George and May / Margery and children were accompanied on the George Canning by his 1st cousin Andrew Hepburn & wife (ex Leslie and Wemyss), 1st cousin once removed William Hepburn (my great grandfather) who was returning to Dunedin following a visit to Scotland, probably to accompany his ageing paternal grandfather James Paterson and crippled uncle David Paterson on the long journey to join William's parents George Hepburn and Rachel Paterson (ex Kirkcaldy) in Otago.

George Sinclair and family initially stayed with their Hepburn relations at Halfway Bush, Dunedin and then went to the Hepburn property "Brooklands" in North Otago which was run by James Paterson Hepburn, son of George and Rachel and brother of William.

In 1861 George's daughter Mary Sinclair (b.1836 in Leslie) married John Wallace.  They had 6 children between 1867 and 1880. I have some BDM details of these people.

In 1864 George's daughter Agnes Sinclair (b.1838 in Leslie, bapt in Kirkcaldy) married Henry Green whose family had emigrated to Otago from Hayes, Middlesex in 1856. They had 2 children George and Henry Corbett Green. I have BDM data for this family and descendants.

In the course of all my extensive research, the NZ descendants and relations of George Sinclair and May Heron have provided no evidence that he was ever married earlier to a Mary Temple. However, this is not to say that he wasn't.  He may have separated from Mary and married May. Mary was clearly still alive when he married May in 1833. Mary was apparently a solo mother with sons Alexander Temple, Charles Hope and Moncrieff in 1841 (Census). One could conjecture that George and May never mentioned his possible earlier marriage with Mary to their children.

E&OE

Don Hutton
Christchurch, New Zealand

Offline DonHutton38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 May 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Robert,

I hope you are still on Rootschat!

I have proved fairly conclusively that there were two George Sinclairs:

1. George Sinclair (1800 - 1875) who married Margery Heron and emigrated to NZ with their children in 1857. His parents were Alexander Sinclair* and Agnes Davidson. There are numerous descendants of their daughters Mary (m. John Wallace) and Agnes (m. Henry Green) in NZ. I'm working on the sons and other probable relations who came here at other times. This George was 1st cousin to my great great grandfather George Hepburn of Wakari, Dunedin.

2. George Sinclair (b.1805) who married Mary Temple. Their children were Alexander Temple, Charles Hope and Moncreiff Sinclair. His parents were George Sinclair* and Christian Tod. I think  Mary was widowed early as she was on her own with the 3 boys in 1841 and working as a teacher. She died in Dysart in 1847.

* brothers - sons of George St. Clair (Sinclair) and Katherine (Catherine) Suttie (my 3x great grandparents).

I'll be happy to chat on if you wish.

Don Hutton
Family Historian
Christchurch, NZ.

Offline dreeves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 January 18 05:57 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this thread is still going. I was interested in the fact that Andrew Hepburn came to NZ with George Sinclair. Andrew Hepburn is a witness at the marriage of John Wallace and Mary Murray Sinclair in 1861. They named one of their children James Spencer Hepburn Wallace.
Dianne