Author Topic: William Roe  (Read 1682 times)

Offline J.S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William Roe
« on: Friday 26 June 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
As a result of some excellent research by Richard Moles.com I am now in possession of my Great great grandfather's
army records, and finally his place of birth, which had so far eluded me.  I learn he was born at Parsonstown, Kings County in 1816, now known as   Birr, country Offaly.
He is shown to have enlisted in the 22nd. regiment at the Birr barracks on 5th. Sept. 1833. His occupation was given
as shoemaker. I know only his father's name was also William.
Can anyone advise how I might now proceed to track the family?
Edwards
Evans
Roe
Stevens
Kossakowksi

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: William Roe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 09 09:16 BST (UK) »
to find further details on the Roe family Parish record would be required. Do you know what religion they were ?

the Irish Times has some lists on surviving records - for example see the Catholic parish map for Co. Offaly : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/offalyrc.htm  (the oldest Catholic records seem to be from 1838, so too late for the birth of William.) Surviving Church of Ireland records are available at the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin. Parish records for Co. Offaly do not seem to be available on line at the moment, for example on the Irish Family History Foundation website.

A bit too late for William and family but there are Roe households listed in the 1911 census for Birr, Co. Offaly : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dollyho

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Roe
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 17 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am  researching  my family. My Great Great Aunt, Anne Roe nee Thompson married Richard Roe 14 April, 1871 (father, Joseph Roe). Richard was living on Northbridge St Birr and Anne at Ballinree when they got married. She later lived at Ballinree after Richard’s death

Is the Richard Roe she married in anyway related to the Roes any of you have researched?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Dennis [/move]