Author Topic: whitstable warners  (Read 1959 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
whitstable warners
« on: Friday 26 June 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
hello,i was wondering if anyone with parish records can confirm if the following warners,all born in whitstable,were siblings.benjamin b1782,philip b1785,thomas b1795,sarah b1797,and edward b1799.i know that sarah and philip were brother and sister and there parents were william warner(1762) and sarah brice(1765).i suspect the others were their siblings,but if anyone could confirm it id be grateful,thanks,nel.

Offline mkcmiller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: whitstable warners
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 09 11:26 BST (UK) »
ive found an IGI record for

Philip Warrener
Parents William and Saah Warrener
Christening date 15/02/1784 Whitstable

Sarah Warrener
Parents William and Sarah Warrener
Christening date 14/05/1797 Seasalter, Kent

but nothing for the other 2 which would make me think they are not siblings or else they'd been christened too.......also namedifference, have you come across this before

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
many thanks for that,i believe that the warners in whitstable were warreners on early records.the ones youve found are the ones i have,but theres circumstantial and other evidence that makes me think the others are connected to these,nel.

Offline ajp24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 16 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I found the Whitstable parish records prior to 1800 very vague but my Warrener research suggests that Benjamin and Thomas were sons of Thomas and Jemima married circa 1780. I found no connections for Philip or any records for a Sarah or Edward around this time. I am fairly certain that Thomas is the Thomas listed in later censuses as a Marine Dealer, living in Harbour St and who is my direct ancestor.
The change from Warrener to Warner seems to have occurred with the introduction of censuses and central registrations (c:1837/1841). This may have been because surnames were being interpreted from verbal information by unfamiliar scribes rather than the local parish priest and during a time of poor education when most people would not have been aware of the changes.  I found no Warners prior to these dates and no Warrener surnames after this time.
As the last posting by nelwild was 2009 perhaps someone out there can add more.

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
I cannot find a Benjamin Warner (or Warrener) born c 1782 at Whitstable or neighbouring parishes.  However, there is a Benjamin Warrener baptised at Whitstable in 1806 but the entry indicates he was born in September 1791.  Baptised on the same day were three siblings, all the children of Thomas and Jemima nee Chillas.

Edward Warrener baptised 22 December 1799 was the son of Philip and Mary.

Returning to the siblings Sarah (baptised at Seasalter) and Philip, I think I can confirm that Thomas is another sibling baptised (Whitstable) on 21 May 1786 to William & Sarah Warrener.  There appears to be three further siblings, all baptised at Whitstable, having the same parentage.  Baptism details are,

1782 Oct 1 William s/o William & Sarah Warrener Twin
1782 Oct 1 Mary d/o William & Sarah Warrener Twin
1790 Feb 28 Mary Ann d/o William & Sarah Warrener

Have not been able to confirm the death of the first Mary, although there is a burial for a Maria Warrener on 3 August 1789 at Whitstable.

Tony

Offline ajp24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
Whitstable Warner's/Warrener's chat mentions Samson Warrener and a number of Thomas Warrener's.  My research just completed, confirms that Charles Warner (1855) is my ggrandfather, Samson Warner/Warrener (1835) is my gggrandfather, his father was Thomas (1795) marine store dealer who married Sarah Tappenden, his father was Thomas (1763) who married Jemima Chillas and his father was Thomas (c:1740) who married Elizabeth Bates. Thomas and Elizabeth were also parents of William (c:1765) who married Sarah Brice.

I have focused on my own ancestral tree, but I did come across many of the Whitstable Warners discussed by "nelwild" and others. Although the name Philip occurs in many generations no Philip's appear in my lineage, I resisted making family trees for all the Warners (there are so many!).  Unfortunately my generation are no longer Warners (because of marrage) so I would be interested to hear from any Whitstable Warner decendents,  if "nelwild" or others are still out there, and would like to make (e-mail) contact through Rootschat,  which I think is possible, although I don't yet know how, please do get in contact.