Author Topic: Lanivet & Braddock Parish Records PENROSE  (Read 5187 times)

Offline reoinna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lanivet & Braddock Parish Records PENROSE
« on: Saturday 27 June 09 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Would anyone have access to Lanivet & Braddock Parish Records?  I am trying to trace a Penrose family.  I have a Joseph PENROSE born 1785 Braddock (according to census info) and his parents were John PENROSE and Joan HENWOOD.  I am interested in finding out if possible about John PENROSE roots.  I have looked on the OPC Cornwall site and I see a earlier PENROSE John & Anne that had childen in the Braddock area.  Is there anyway I can find out more info on them?  I am trying to make a connection (if any) to a PENROSE family in Lanivet.  There was a marriage of a John & Anne of St Mabyn in 1730 and I am wondering if it maybe them.  Any kind of info on how to find out more would be very helpful. 
Thankyou!  I am on Australian time, so I apologize in advance should someone offer advice and you dont here back from me straight away.  I will respond and with thanks.
Penrose - Cornwall
Brady - Dublin
Brady/Morley - Meath Ireland
Madigan/Gilligan - Clare Ireland
Murray/Byrne - Arklow Wicklow Ireland

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Lanivet & Braddock Parish Records PENROSE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 09 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi reoinna,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

You will find lots of Penrose threads on RootsChat.

I think this one where I provided information on this family will be helpful

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,264409.0.html

Here on RootsChat we have members all over the world. (Phil is also in Australia as am I)

Cheers Kris  :)

PS - I have alerted Phil to your thread.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline reoinna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 09 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Kris,
thankyou for your welcome and your info.  I have been  in contact with Phil and yes we are tracing the same line.  I will look at the thread.  Many thanks.
Regards
Reoinna
Penrose - Cornwall
Brady - Dublin

Offline reoinna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Penrose born Braddock 1785
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi I have been searching for a connection to a family of Penrose that has a Admiral Charles Vinnicomb Penrose.  I have a ggreat grandparent named Charles Vinnicomb Penrose born 1812.  His father is Joseph Penrose born Braddock according to census information.  I am trying to find why he was named after the Vinnicomb family connection.  I have been on Ancestory and a few people there have claimed that Joseph was the son of Rev John Penrose brother to Admiral Charles Vinnicomb Penrose and they have Braddock birth in Wales.  Which I have not been able to find out about.  I know this is not an exact science but is anyone able to help e track the line?  my original post is that I believe Joseph parents were John Penrose and Joan  I have the will of Joan Henwood and she mentions a son Joseph. any suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thankyou. ???
Penrose - Cornwall
Brady - Dublin

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
there is a baptism 8 Jan 1812 in St Minver for Charles Vinicomb Penrose, son of Joseph & Mary, abode parish of St Kew.
The only other baptism to the same couple on the OPC database is for Agnes Olver Penrose bp 9 May 1815 in Bodmin, Joseph noted as labourer.

Joseph Penrose married Mary Olver in Morval 3 Aug 1809 by Licence, Joseph noted as Yeoman of Broadoak.

There was a baptism of a Joseph Penrose 1 June 1816, son of Joseph & Mary in Stoke Damerel, father being a Dock Labourer.

The Joseph born St Kew is in Devonport for the 1851 census
3 Ordnance Row Devonport Parish of Stoke Damerel HO107/1882 folio 98 pg 71
Charles Penrose head mar 39 sawyer HM Yard b. Cornwall St Kew
Elizth wife 49
Ellen dau 17 boot binder
Emily dau 15 tailoress
Charles son 7
Wm son 4
all born Devonport except Charles senior

Charles Vinicombe Penrose married Elizabeth Body 1 Dec 1849 in the parish of Charles the Martyr in Plymouth, Charles a widower, father Joseph also a sawyer, Elizabeth was a widow and her father, Thomas Scott, was a shipwright. The witnesses to the marriage were John & Agnes Warn.

There's a baptism for a child, Charles Viningcumbe, who did not survive 2 April 1839, son of Charles Viningcumbe Penrose & Phillis of Coburg Street, father being in the Borough Police.

Charles died 3 June 1854 & was buried 11 June aged 42, in St Charles, address 3 Ordnance Row.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
1851 & 1861 census entries show Joseph married to Ann, his place of birth Broadoak, Cornwall around 1785. There's a likely burial for Mary Penrose 24 Dec 1847 aged 63 in Charles the Martyr.
Likely remarriage for Joseph
Joseph Penrose jun qtr 1849 East Stonehouse vol 9 pg 375 with Ann Mance on the same page.

Buying a copy of this marriage cert from the GRO should confirm Joseph's father's name & occupation.

How is he referred to in Joan's will?

I can see various baptisms to the couple on the OPC database but not one for a Joseph. Also, none of the baptisms refer to that John as a reverend, which would be unlikely.
 There is a Rev. John Penrose having children baptised in Cardinham around the same time, his wife being Jane, the children include one called Charles Vinicombe bp 13 Dec 1781. They are definitely a different couple as they married 2 April 1778 in Redruth - the Revd John Penrose, clerk, Rector of Cardinham married Jane Trevenen by Licence.

The Broadoak/Braddock John married Joan Henwood in Warleggan in April 1768 by Banns
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22651-31801-14?cc=1769414&wc=3CB7-RM2:138123201,142378101,1582899603.

Looks like the Ancestry trees have conflated 2 families with similar names

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/person-search/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
just having a look at the other Penrose family. As you have access to Ancestry, have you looked for Penrose wills in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills 1384-1858?
There's a will for Reverend John Penrose written in 1764, probate 20 July 1776. He was buried in St Gluvias (near Falmouth) 30 June 1776 aged 62. The will mentions his sons John & Charles Vinicombe, his daughters Frances, Betty, Margaret, Mary & Dorothy and his executrix is his wife Elizabeth.
Charles Vinicombe Penrose was baptised 2 July 1759 in St Gluvias & John on 20 Sep 1753. The baptisms of all the daughters except Frances were also in St Gluvias.

Lieut. Charles Vinicombe Penrose married Elizabeth Trevenen of Camborne (relative of Jane who married his brother?) in Constantine (Lizard Peninsula) 2 Jan 1787 by Licence. The couple had 3 daughters baptised in Breage in 1788 1789 & 1790. Charles' will from 1830 mentions the 3 daughters & that Charlotte had died before him.
The Rev. John Penrose & his wife Jane after baptising 3 children in Cardinham, have another in Perranuthnoe & then another 4 in Constantine, so the other end of the county from your Penrose family. The youngest was a son named Thomas Trevenen Penrose. Revd. John's will is also online. He was living in Fledborough in Nottinghamshire at the time the will was written. It mentions his sons Thomas Trevenen Penrose and John Penrose (also in the church and living at Bracebridge in Lincolnshire) and 3 unmarried daughters Elizabeth, Lydia & Jane. The will is quite long & I haven't read it all so there may be more that's useful.

Offline reoinna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 15 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi osprey
Thank you so much for the information and for the time you have taken to gather it.  It took you not long compared to my years!  I believe they have combined the 2 families.  I believe my Joseph named his Charles Vinnicomb as they are from the same Lanivet family further back so I would say the are second cousins and quite proud of the admiral.  I am going to digest all the info you have given to me.  thank you so much your excellent!
Kind regards Reoinna
 :D
Penrose - Cornwall
Brady - Dublin

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:29 BST (UK) »
Cornwall is lucky in the amount of online resources it has.

I forgot to mention that the Agness Warn who witnessed the marriage of Charles & his second wife is his married sister
marriage ref
Agnes Olver Penrose dec qtr 1838 East Stonehouse vol 9 pg 397 with John Warn on the same page.
There are more siblings born in Plymouth area after Joseph in 1816.

At the baptism of some of John & Joan Penrose's children, John is noted as John Junior. This may signify that his father was also John. A John Penrose abode Crypstone was buried 24 April 1784 in Braddock. And another John was buried 3 Dec 1811.

I can see no link with Lanivet area for the other Penrose family, apart from the baptisms in Cardinham 1779-1781.
Revd. John senior died in 1776 aged 62.  He was vicar of St Gluvias for 35 years.
http://penryncornwall.com/lake.htm

I was just checking the Cornwall Record Office catalogue for any mentions of John Penrose and found a reference to the will of Charles Vinincombe Vicar of Brixham in Devon, he left goods to his mother Elizabeth Vinnicombe and to his sister Elizabeth wife of John Penrose, his books to his brother-in-law, John Penrose. The will was written 4 July 1754 & proved 6 August the same year.
The record office holds many documents left by Elizabeth widow of John senior.
http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/dserve/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Index.tcl

Elizabeth Vinicombe made her will later that year & it was proved 9 Mar 1756. Her burial in St Gluvias 4 Jan 1756 has notes stating that she was the widow of John, clerk, sub chanter of the cathedral church of St Peter, Exeter
This looks to be the baptism in 1712 of the Elizabeth who married John Penrose
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYGF-D31

& their marriage in 1737
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYGF-D31

The Penrose family papers are all catalogued with a reference beginning BRA2509.

Also just spotted an old book about John Penrose "A Cornish Incumbancy" which you can get as a free pdf. There are many articles about him online.

It could be that your Penrose family included Vinicombe in the names to give the idea they were related to the rather grander Penrose family. I've come across other families doing a similar thing.

;)