Author Topic: Lancaster Castle: a prison in 1851?  (Read 4153 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lancaster Castle: a prison in 1851?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 April 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie 1895, I have just stumbled across this old thread. I am descended from Thomas' older sister Elizabeth 'Betty' born 1793 & married Miles Pennington. I have some information on the family & earlier generations. I am happy to share/compare 🙂
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline frian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 April 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie
If you're looking for details of the court cases which put your ancestor in prison, have a look at the Lancaster newspapers.  They're available for the 19th century on at least two well-known websites.  It's worth doing - you find out a great deal, sometimes (as you hint) more than you want.  I've many ancestors in the Lancaster area and I have stopped being surprised just how many of them appear at Quarter Sessions - often for quite trivial things.
frian

Offline clairedolci

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 September 20 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I have stumbled across this very old thread and am hoping someone is still connected!
All of my fathers ancestors are from Lancaster and I too have a 4th Great Grand-mother who was resident at Lancaster Castle in 1851, she died not long after in 1856.
Her name was Mary Riley (not sure of maiden name), and was born in 1810 my tree is available to view online with Ancestry and my user name is clairedolci2, the relevant tree is 'Riley Tree'.
If anyone has any information please get in touch. Its fascinating!!
Thank you!