Author Topic: William Fleming - Larbert  (Read 6660 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Fleming - Larbert
« on: Sunday 28 June 09 02:12 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was William Fleming, he immigrated to Australia - about 1888.

I have searched on Scotlands People (for William's birth) and the Census without success, although I must admit I am totally lost when it comes to searching those places.

William Fleming married Isabella Henderson, here in Australia, December 24 1888.
He gave his age as 33 years (b.abt 1855) - his occupation as Harness Maker - birth place, Larbert Stirling Scotland.
William's parents were William Fleming - contractor.  Annie McLean .

I have been unable to find William Fleming's arrival into Australia - however I estimate it to be about 1888.

Any help in tracing this family back to Scotland, would be greatly appreciated.

Sarra

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Fleming - Larbert
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 09 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra,

I've had a look through various Census Returns and can't find any sign of a William Fleming or his parents William and Annie either? I left as many search options 'open' as I could think of, but still nothing.

I take it the info you have is from his Australian Marriage Certificate?

I have no knowledge of Australian 'sources' but I presume there are possible other ways of verifying William's details?  Do you know if he and Isabella had children? Do you have any of their Birth Certificates?

Hopefully something might turn up somewhere to give you some extra clues ..........

Anne

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 09 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Yes the information I have for William Fleming is from his Marriage Certificate.

William & Isabella, had six sons, and I have some of their Birth  Certificates.
I have been able to trace Isabella Henderson's line back into Scotland. Her parents were from Port Glasgow Scotland.

I seem to think William Fleming immigrated to Australia on his own, I have not found any siblings for him in Australia.

Like you,I have looked for William Fleming on the Scottish Census, and can't find him or his parents anywhere.  I'm afraid he is likely to remain a mystery for now.

Many thanks for your help.

Sarra

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra

If you have a look at Scotlands People there are 5 William Fleming's born in Stilingshire between 1855 and 1858. Three from Denny and two from Kilsyth. Denny is not to far away from Larbert. In the five records shown there are two who are born in 1855 one from Denny and one from Kilsyth. I don't know if you have looked at them but it might be worth a try.
yours aye
brucel

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi brucel,

Yes I have looked at those William Flemings' at one time, unfortunately they are not mine.

You would think I would be able to find him on the Scottish Census - no I can't :( :(.

Well I'm afraid William is going on the backburner again. ::) ::)

Many thanks for your help.

Sarra

Offline jillyray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 13 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra. This is my great grandfather too!!! :) My grandfather was his son Alexander and my father Alan Fleming who is residing in Wangaratta Victoria Australia. Are you Joyce Fleming's Daughter? How wonderful to find you. lots of love to you, your cousin Jill Fleming.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 13 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
I have replied to your PM.

Sarra

Offline Lea Fleming

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, just wondering if anyone had any luck William Fleming is my 2x Great Grandfather. I'm pretty much stuck at the same location as discussed in this thread and are not able to find any records in Scotland for William Fleming.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 16:53 BST (UK) »
Could he have been illegitimate and lurking in the census as William McLean? Could his mother have (re-) married and could William be under a stepfather's surname?

Have you looked on Scotland's People for a death certificate for Annie McLean? (Yes, a bit like a needle in a haystack.) SP does seem to have 8 deaths of Ann McLean, other surname Fleming, but that wouldn't help if Wiliiam was illegitimate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.