Author Topic: Margaret Louttit  (Read 13138 times)

Offline buzzard7

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Louttit
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 October 10 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live in Dryden, Ontario and am the great grand daughter of the James Louttit that you mention.   I can tell you that the information on the death record in question is incorrect.  His father was Peter Louttit and his mother was Jane Marcette or Marcelle.  James Louttit was married to Jane Linklater.  Her mother's name was Isabella Potts  or the Cree name of Pattukaapun (many variations of this spelling) So William, who made this declaration was mistaken.  I remember my Gt Gr mother Jane Linklater very well.  James Louttit only had one arm and no one in our family knows the story behind this.  They raised a large family (12 children) here in Dryden, after they left James Bay.  A couple of years ago I visited Moosonee and Moose Factory and was allowed to photocopy the parish records.  It was a goldmine!  I have in my hand a copy of the marriage certificate of Peter Louttit and Jane Marcette -m 10 jul 1855-Moose Factory.  It CLEARLY shows her name to be Jane Marcette and she signed her name as Jane Marcette.  I'm not sure how the name evolved to Marcella but I know it did.  There is no other information that I have for her.  My aunt has been doing the genealogy for this family for many years but now is unable to continue due to age.  I'm trying to add to what she has started.   I am looking for the link to Scotland but can't seem to yet.  I hope this helps you out a bit.  Oh yes, James Louttit was a Scotch Cree and his wife Jane Linklater although herself also a Scotch Cree was admitted as a Dominion Indian with full status.  James Louttit opted for the scrip of land and then never received it.  Both Louttit and Linklater are named as "loyal Hudson Bay servants" in "Treaty 9 Book" 

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 October 10 22:35 BST (UK) »
James Louttit is mentioned several times in this publication, most of which is only partially available to read online...places mentioned are Fort Montizambert before  Dinorwic / Dryden ...Speaks of " the proffered plots would be of little use to James Loutit a one armed sixth penshioner then living in Dryden..."I find it hard to make a living as I got a large family to... "
http://books.google.ca/books?id=q8qervZ6nakC&pg=PA149&lpg=PA149&dq  - put name into search
I wonder if the Fort Montizambert fur trade papers have accounts of what happened
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline tomaslouttit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 01:55 GMT (UK) »
hi iam also the great grandchild of james louttit, i am also looking for our family history, i also traced my geneaology back to peter louttit but am at a dead end, if anyone is related to the louttits of dryden, james bay or Oba ontario you can reach me @  * i would love to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 02:08 GMT (UK) »
quickly hit modify button & remove your email address or you'll get spammed big time...... Just post one more time and people can private message you...green scroll under the avatar
Welcome to rootschat!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Trouble is...can't always trust that what is written is the handwriting of the person...the records
Although I get no results for the name I get 2 Marcette results in the LDS search for Quebec 1851
Ste Rose de Lima Terrebonne County  and Trois Rivieres St. Maurice County
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#surname=marcette&collection=fs%3A1325192&searchType=close&p=recordResults
The phonetics may have us looking for marset/Marsette ( there were metis Marset in Saskatchewan)
( Yes, I saw the Marcella surname for one birth)

Offline Louttit of Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 March 18 06:08 GMT (UK) »
I have proper information for this family if help is needed please reply.

Offline Louttit of Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 March 18 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Peter Louttit and Jane marsette

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 March 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I will notify the original poster that there is a new reply, in case notification was turned off. However the other 2 relatives of yours never added anything again, and one needs 2 posts in order to access the private message to email.

I strongly suggest that if there are descendants in Manitoba that they visit the Hudson's bay archives. It is a wonderful resource, but can long days of searching through reels. If he remained in one area it probably won't not take as long, though
  There is a mini bio on my husband's ancestor, but there were still several more unrecorded entries, which I did eventually find. With careful searching within each timeline, perhaps there might be something more on how James lost his arm. It is a fascinating visit into such an interesting piece of history.

That older publication url I had posted no longer works...page 452 has his plea for assistance and he & other Louttit are mentioned elsewhere as well....
https://books.google.ca/books?id=tEZKacUWnKMC&q=louttit