Author Topic: Wilson's in County Cavan  (Read 44818 times)

Offline alfredsdad

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in County Cavan
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 October 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
My family are Wilson and we are from Cavan
My gggrandfather moved to Cavan from Scotland around 1850 I believe and he was William Wilson
My grandfather was George Henry Wilson and died in a bicycle accident 1940 (60)
They all lived in the Cappy/Corleck area near Knockbride, Bailiebourgh
My Uncles (4) and grandmother all moved up to Belfast along with my dad in about 1948
Uncle Joe moved to Canada in around 1950 living near Toronto when we visited in 1980
My father Thomas Alfred Wilson died in 2010 and we buried him alongside his father in Cavan
We still have family in the area although I do not get there too often, cousins mainly
Rest of my (direct) family are in Belfast area mainly
My dad and my Uncle Willie Wilson were doing quite some genealogy and now my cousin has taken up the mantle, although I should not leave him doing it alone!

Not sure if that is interesting to anyone but the thread came up on a google search I fancied replying

Offline johnbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
I too am researching Wilson ancestors in Ireland. My people came to Canada from Knockbride Parish and primarily from the townlands of Lisdonan, Cappy, and Drumbar. I would like to exchange information with you or your cousin.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 July 13 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

How strange that a reply should appear on this thread as my Mum's ashes were scattered today at a local crematorium, she passed away on May 1st, she was called May. There has been nothing really applicable to my Mum's family over the last few years.
My Mum's father owned a corn mill near Killeshandra. Her father was Charles Haughton Wilson and her mother was Eliza Morrison. Charles Haughton Wilson was the son of John Wilson and Mary Jane Haughton.
If anyone has any information I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 August 13 16:33 BST (UK) »
In my research I have two links to Wilson families.
Hugh Wilson born abt 1826 ( father Hamilton) married Susanna Cain born abt 1826 ( father John) on 1st Dec 1848 1st Presb Bailieboro. They were both from Drumkerry. They had a daughter Margaret Anne born abt 1850 who married Joseph Ross born abt 1843 ( father Joseph) on 4th Aug 1868 1st Presb  Bailieboro. At that time the Wilson's were living in Galboly Bailieboro.

Violet Clarke born 7th Sep 1934 married 1952 to George Wilson at Knockbride Parish Church. Both buried in the churchyard.

Offline dallas13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 12:49 BST (UK) »
I too am a descendant of William Wilson and Mary Elizabeth Long of Cavan County.  They had a son () and from that son came William Wilson who married Ann Jane Davidson from Belfast.  Apparently the Davidsons had a clothing store in Belfast which burned down.  William and Ann Jane Davidson are my great grand parents.  They came or moved to Port Hope, Ontario, Canada by ship and then settled in a small community called Blackstock or Cartwright.  They had about 7 sons one of which was my grandfather Albert Wilson.  The year was roughly 1878 that William and Ann Jane are shown on the Census.  The family is buried in Prince Albert Cemetery, Ontario.  I would like to contact either William's descendants....thank you,Melody

Offline dallas13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 August 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, William Wilson and Mary Elizabeth Long had a son Thomas .....from this son he had a son William who along with Ann Jane Davidson came to Port Hope Canada.  They had approx. 7 sons, and settled in Cartwright.  I would love to be able to complete more of this picture, Williams brothers families on down, either William has there ever been a Wilson re-union in Ireland?  This is the year of the gathering so we heard on the advertisements.  A dream would be to go to Cavan...Melody

Offline johnbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 August 13 00:41 BST (UK) »
William Wilson and Mary Elizabeth Long's daughter, Jane Wilson, (who married George Wilson of Cartwright, Ontario), received a letter from Lisdonan, County Cavan, Ireland in 1890. I have found that there was a Thomas Wilson who was a tenant in Lisdonan, and also there was a Stewart Long who was a tenant in Lisdonan. This is very interesting. I have researched a lot of information on the Wilson families in this area of Cavan( Cappy, Lisdonan, and Drumbar). I will go back to my notes and let you know what I discover.

Offline johnbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 September 13 01:15 BST (UK) »
Re William Wilson & Mary Elizabeth Long, I have found a transcripion of a baptism in Knockbride Church of Ireland, for a Thomas Wilson, April 1838, and a William Wilson, April 1832, both sons of William & Eliza Wilson of Cappy.

Offline robinhelstrom88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 September 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
I'm curious if you folks know anything about Thomas K. Wilson (ca. 1830-1862) and Elizabeth Thompson (ca. 1830-bef. 1901). Both were born in Co. Cavan immigrated with their four sons to Quebec, Canada ca. 1862. He died at sea and she took the kids alone to Quebec and then remarried to William Maxwell. The four sons are: Andrew (1853-1929), Edward (1854-1927), William (1855-1922), and Thomas Kewatin (1861-1938).

I did some searching on Roots Ireland and found a Thomas Wilson b. 1829 in Knockbride to John and Jane Wilson, and a Elizabeth Thomson b. 1832 in Cavan to William Thomson and Bridget Keoan but I don't know if they are a match.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dudgeon, McBain, Chisholm, Brownlee, Young, Aspevig, Olman, Boyd, Wilson, Pittman, Broome, Chamberl(a)in, LeBas, Marchand, and many more!