Author Topic: port-glasgow old street names  (Read 42828 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
port-glasgow old street names
« on: Wednesday 01 July 09 04:10 BST (UK) »
HI there

Some of my relatives in the early censuses 1881 and 1891 have the addresses Hunters close, and Dardanelles close, Dockhead Street Port-Glasgow. Does anyone know where  I can find an early  map showing these locations? I wonder if  by any chance  photos of these places exist .

Thanks Orkrad.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: port-glasgow old street names
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I already have this book.  Someone  gave it to me last year.It made interesting reading but  I can't remember where I stored it! At the time when it was given to me  I  didn't know of the addresses I have recently found in the old censuses. I do remember it had pictures of Black Bull Close and a few other very dilapidated dwellings.

Regards    Orkrad.

Offline Mrs Teddy Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 09 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

You could have a look at this website about Port Glasgow.  http://www.portglasgow4u.co.uk/oldphotos/index.html

My grannny was born and brought up in Dockhead Close which I think was probably near where Bay Street is now and I remember her taking about Hunters Close but can't think where it would be be. I have never heard of Dardanelles Close.

Mrs T
Carnegie, Bushmills County Antrim, McLaughlin Campbell, Ballycastle . Toomey, Limerick, Dolan or Doulan or Doolan. McAlindon

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 01:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the website. I am wondering if an old map exists that would record these details. Any idea where  I might try?

Regards  Orkrad

Offline libbyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a great site at the National Library of Scotland which has many old maps etc - http://www.nls.uk/maps/towns/index.html
Or try - www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk - for a selection of old maps to buy.
Hope this helps.
Liz

Offline kaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 June 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
i have recently helped to write a book on the towns history dardanelles close was a building near to scarlow corner down at the waterfront the old map of 1856 available at the nls national library Scotland punch in old port Glasgow maps the book i helped to write is available on line at www.trustregeneration.org.UK and scroll down to newark to newark hope its of some help Robert(Rab)Kane

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 August 10 04:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rab.  I haven't been checking the site as often as  I should and missed your reply.I have a copy of the book you mentioned and I find  it uttterly fascinating.---a goldmine of information on old Port-Glasgow. My ancestors (according to the 1841 census )came from Ireland to "the Port "and their occupations are listed as flax dressers. I have been searching for years to find where they came from in Ireland but with no success. Do you have any information about flax weavers and dressers among your archives?. Do you think their occupation was tied to where they came from or did they just take what local jobs were available to them.? Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome

Regards   Orkrad.

Offline kaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 October 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
my great grandfather also came from ireland and when he arrived he also started in the gourock ropeworks in the flax shed you either arrived and started in the mill or the shipyards if you want an interesting link for the old town map just put in your browser(port glasgow town plans nls) and you can even see where your grandad worked in the mill flax shed,if you send tell me your family i can do a little research for you good luck