Author Topic: port-glasgow old street names  (Read 42760 times)

Offline hughvs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: port-glasgow old street names
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 June 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
There's no subsitute for looking before leaping, and now that I've looked I have to correct my last re Dockhead Close, etc.  Dockhead Close ran from somewhere about Louis' Chip Shop - not the Post Office - and Dardanelles Close between Louis' and John Wood Street.

Offline scaredy cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 August 13 08:43 BST (UK) »
to keyboard 86-re dardanelles close +Devlin-GALLACHERSas you mentioned that twins were born to the family-I see that as  I  go on James is no longer mentioned-?if you get any more info would be really grateful for you help-scaredy cat

Offline stellastar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 19 July 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
Dardanelles Close , Port Glasgow
RAB thanks so much posting so much information and fotos from old Port Glasgow, I also downloaded your book. Such a wealth of information! My Irish ancestors also lived in Dardanelles Close, The McCormick, Mc Sloy, Carey, McGlynn families were all my ancestors, many of them were married in St John the Baptist church there in Port Glasgow. I contacted Father McMahon to see if any McCormicks are still in the parish but hadnt heard from him in over a year. Do you know of families with these names today? I have to think I still have relatives alive in Port Glasgow today. I want to visit Port Glasgow in 2011 and visit the local cemetery where I hope I can find my ancestors. Is there a specific cemetery where members of St Johns were buried? Thanks again!

Hello I know this is a reply to an old post but I thought I would give it a try! I think you and I may both be descended from James McCormick and Elizabeth Kerry or Carey. I have been researching the McCormicks for a while so perhaps we could share some info?

Offline stellastar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 19 July 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kaney
I know this is a reply to an old post but thought I would give it a try anyway! I am descended from James McCormick who was a brother of Hugh McCormick. I also know a bit about another brother Michael McCormick but didn't know about Hugh's existence until quite recently. I would love to see your photos if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Offline loobylou55

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 January 16 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I also have connections to Dardanelles Close (20&22), Dockhead Street, which is on the marriage of my GGGrandfather John McBRIARTY who married Marey CAREY at St John's in 1870. She was a flax mill worker on 1871 census. Her father was a Patrick KERRY(CAREY) and mother was Mary. The witnesses at their wedding were Hugh & Anne McCORMICK!!! Small world eh?? Regards Lynda :)

Offline bsidebaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am descended from the Slater family who lived in Port Glasgow. I am fascinated about one relative who sadly was discovered drowned in the Clyde in 1873 near West Quay. She I believe worked at Gourocks Ropeworks and lived in Gillespies Lane. Does anyone have any old photos of Gillespies Lane. I also cannot find the death of her father Alexander Slater who worked for HM Customs. He was born in 1788 in Kilmalcolm and is not present on the 1841 census for Port Glasgow when his wife and children are. I am quite taken with Port Glasgow and long to visit. Would be good to hear from anyone else with information about the ropeworks or the customs job done by my GGGGG - Grandfather.  :D

Offline celt11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Just found this my 2nd great grandad fighting with his wife's brother in the Dardanelles close in 1902 from the PortGlasgow express .

Offline celt11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 16:51 GMT (UK) »
i have recently helped to write a book on the towns history dardanelles close was a building near to scarlow corner down at the waterfront the old map of 1856 available at the nls national library Scotland punch in old port Glasgow maps the book i helped to write is available on line at www.trustregeneration.org.UK and scroll down to newark to newark hope its of some help Robert(Rab)Kane
Mate just wondering if you can help get any info on a picture in that book .The blackbull close picture .My ancestors moved there from Ireland and im just wondering if there is anyway to find out if they are in it .