Author Topic: Dale & Sons Grantham  (Read 5359 times)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dale & Sons Grantham
« on: Friday 03 July 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
Attached are pictures of a "little brown jug" that has been in my family for years and I am now passing on to my daughter.

I would be curious to know a little about Dale & Sons so my daughter has some knowledge of the history behind this screw top jug.

Being born and raised in Grantham the only Dale I know of was the headmaster of Gonerby School, John Arthur Dale (Jad)

Also I would be interested to know what the jug originally contained or was it a "generic" jug used to store vinegar or something similar.

Thanks, David.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dale & Sons Grantham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 09 20:19 BST (UK) »
1933 Directory

Dale Bros. mineral water mfrs. 240 Harrowby rd. TN 97

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

As mine jug is named as "Dale & Sons 1930" I presume the senior Dale died sometime prior to 1933.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 09 23:51 BST (UK) »
1 Harrowby Road
George DALE 41 Mineral Water Manufacturer, Ingoldsby

Deaths Mar 1933   
DALE  George    73    Grantham    7a   735

As directories tend to be a year ot two "out of date", I suggest that GD may have retired before the time of his demise.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Geoff.

It's nice to know the bottle was for Mineral Water, I would never have guessed.

My daughter has carried it safely back to Florida and now she knows a little more about "the little brown jug!"

Offline SH46-51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
I have only just discovered this site, hence the belated response.  I too have a jar identical to yours, but mine is dated 1924.  They were actually used not for lemonade but for brewed Ginger Beer, as were smaller 10oz stoneware bottles also with internal screw stoppers.  Glass bottles with crown cork finish (still of course the norm today) and some Codd's (internal marble) were generally used.  The demise of the use of the opaque stoneware containers came about following a most serious court case involving a decaying snail in a bottle found by an unfortunate lady who had already enjoyed her glass of Ginger Beer (NOT I hasten to add from Dale's).  This became a cause celebre in consumer law interpretation and rights.  Dale's also used the smaller ones, but mainly Codd's, always with the gas lamp trademark.
My interest?  George Dale was my maternal great-grandfather and one of my christian names is Dale.  I spent my working life in the soft drinks industry.  My jar I bought at a fair!

Offline Earlybird29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
I too have only just come across this site and George Dale was my maternal great-grandfather too! My grandmother was Millicent Dale who married James Palmer. Some of the other great aunt and uncles I remember (sons and daughters of George Dale) are Gladys, Ada, Alice, George, Ernest (died in France in WW1) and I believe there were 4 more. The great aunt and uncle we used to visit as a child lived at 230 Harrowby Road in Grantham (my dad was born in Grantham). My dad told me that his grandmother (wife of George Dale) was born in Ireland near the Mountains of Mourn and she was quite fearsome! I also have a couple of old ginger bottles of GW Dale and Sons - one with the original marble in the top. We must be related and I would love for you to get in touch with me please.

Offline Earlybird29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
I have a photo somewhere of my great grandfather and mother and all their children. I will try and find it and then try and figure out how I post it up on here.

Offline SH46-51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 April 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the unexpected message - cousin!.  I too have a photo, undated but probably about
1913/14, showing the family.  My grandfather on the left as a sergeant, His younger brother Ernie
on the right, also sergeant, both in the Lincolnshire Yeomanry.  Ernie died of wounds near Arass
in September 1917.  The two younger brothers Dave and Dick(Richard) and the four girls.  Your
grandmother, Millie, seated on the right.  My mother always considered that Millie was the prettiest!
I have a number of photos and documents passed down, and many remembered family snippets
of information; I expect you have too.  I always felt sure there must be a whole tree of descendants.
I live in Northamptonshire.  I look forward to hearing further.