Author Topic: Horton by Blyth - vanished village?  (Read 18370 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Horton by Blyth - vanished village?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 July 09 15:26 BST (UK) »
Horton is not a village, it is a Township, and the houses for New Delaval Colliery were in the township. If you go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm and enter the coordinates 428910, 580095 it will centre the 1919-1926 map on Sinkers Row.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 July 09 15:31 BST (UK) »
Just to add that Sinkers Row is also on the 1951-1959 map.  :)

Stan

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 July 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan, spot on!

Someone told me Horton was a vanished village, that put me on the wrong trail.

Gen in NBL
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 July 09 19:58 BST (UK) »
  Horton was a Parish comprised of five "townships"
West Hartford, East Hartford, Bebside, Cowpen and Horton. As one would expect the Parish Church lay within the "township" area of Horton. *

Within the area of Horton Township there were a few communities named Horton ( High Horton, close to the boundary with East Hartford township, Horton close to the church and Low Horton)

After the sinking of the Forster Pit,  c1860, then later the Richard Pit, c1870, just to the east of the Low Horton community, a new community grew up around the pit shafts. The first houses were Sinkers Row. (erected for the sinkers who dug the big black hole, then moved on)

Initially called , Seaton Delaval, Forster Pit, after the owners of Seaton Delaval
mines, the community became known as New Delaval.

( My Ireland-born ggf John Gallagher , married Ireland-born Mary Maley in Blyth in 1864, He gave his address as "The Forster Colliery, Horton ", she "Hartley Colliery")

At one stage the mine owners built a short railway line from  Seaton (Old) Delaval to the pit head, to train-in miners from Seaton Delaval etc, as there was insufficient housing in New Delaval.

Eventually the colliery had, after Sinker's Row, Double Row, South Row, North Row, Middle Row and New Row.

Sinkers Row would have been close to the Golf Club club house. The site of South Row is today's Plessey Road.

My ggm's brother Patrick Maley/Malley lived at 5, then 2 Sinkers Row from 1871 census.

Gen mentioned the Time Team... I dont know if in jest or seriousness ?
In the past, Blyth Family History Society, were discussing making a bid to have the TT to come and find the " Lost Village of Horton". I don't know whether they went through with the plan or not.

I was born in Bebside Colliery ( village) ,about 2 miles,  north-west of New Delaval, in 1941 and my and others stamping ground, after we got fed up playing in the middens and up the pit heaps, was the open fields from the River Blyth to line of old Plessey waggonway/Plessey.

In my time along what is now B1505 road , there were several groups of  say four-five dwellings , some in use, many abandonedand derelict. Other houses were dotted around east of this line. Although not experts, we just called all these places just Horton, in relation to say the church.

*In 1861 the whole of Horton Parish contained 6787 inhabitants. Horton Township held 368. ( East Hartford 13, some township that, West Hartford 62, Bebside 53- and Cowpen "township" 6291- Bebside Colliery with it 1000 folk lay not in Bebside T but in Cowpen T- as did much of town of Blyth)

Please excuse my length, but it is "roots"

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline bopsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 July 09 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gen
How to find Enumeration district descriptions on Ancestry
1.   Go to an image page on Ancestry
2.   There is a string above the image like this…
3.   You are here: Search > Census > UK Census Collection > 1881 England Census > Northumberland > Horton > District 10
4.   Click on Horton
5.   Choose the district you were wanting…(Sometimes theses a list of lots but in Horton’s case just one)
6.   Click on ‘View description of enumeration district’
Voila!
PS. If anyone knows of other ways of getting to this let me know
By the way this has been fascinating stuff…I’ll have to take a trip down there to have a look at the site sometime!
Bopsey
Barnard, Ford, Pett, Moore, Holden, Collison, Kingshott, Lytollis, Kinghorn, Walker, Lightoller, Lightowler.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 July 09 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Bopsey.

That worked well! Many thanks, all the years I've been using Ancestry I didn't know THAT.

I went down to Horton and Seghill churches yesterday, took photos and did some headstone perusing. Tried to get to the site of Sinkers Row but the road just petered out in a farmyard. A motorway cuts right through it so access is difficult. The land has returned to either fields or under the Blyth golf course. Just like in the 1850's according to the old maps.

Seghill church took a bit of finding, it's not actually in Seghill but a bit north and off a tiny sliproad off a new roundabout. The Sunday service was just finishing as I arrived so took the opprtunity to slip in and take photos of the altar and font to go with the family tree.

Gen in NBL
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 July 09 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael Dixon

Thanks for your local knowledge. Your Patrick Malley would have been living next door to Robert Campbell on the 1871 census!

Dont think Time Team would get a warm reception at Blyth Golf Course, if they wanted to dig up any greens:-) but at least now I know where Sinkers Row WAS and have found it on old maps.

Gen in NBL

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 July 09 08:45 BST (UK) »
Gen,

Tackle it from the Blyth end. Up Plessey Road ( westward) , cross the railway line, into continuation of Plessey Rd. On the right (north) hand side of the street, the last housing is Beatrice Avenue formed into a square. The top (north west) corner gives access to path/roadway that leads to golf club house)

Sinkers Row ran roughly ( S-E to N-W) along that road .

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 July 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
If you look at the present day map the position of Sinkers Row is marked by a track in the NW corner of the golf course, off the track to Low Horton Farm. You can get to it from Plessey Road in New Delaval.

Stan