Author Topic: HUGHES Orphans  (Read 3748 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
HUGHES Orphans
« on: Sunday 05 July 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
I've been 'chipping away' at the survivors of this small family group, who tragically lost their mother and father in 1873 and 1875 respectively and, as a consequence, do not appear to have known their date or place of birth.

For what it's worth, this is their 1871 return that has few elements of truth, casting doubt whether the enumerator climbed the Allt to reach their cottage perched on the peak:

Allt Cottage, Llangasty Talyllyn [RG10 piece 5582 folio 36 page 3]
HUGHES, Elizabeth Wife 40  Labourer’s wife (Ag Lab) born Carmarthenshire
HUGHES, Anne Dau     8  born ditto
HUGHES, David Son    7  born Breconshire, Cathedine
HUGHES, John Son     4  ditto
HUGHES, Charles Son  2 ditto
HUGHES, Thomas Son 2 mos Breconshire, Llangasty
HUGHES, Margart Dau 2 mos   ditto

Slow, but steady, research has found:
'Charles' = Charlotte with her elder married sister Eliza[beth] JONES at Frwdgrech Road, Llanfaes, Brecon in 1891 both claiming Talybont for their place of birth but civil registration for Charlotte gives 'Allt', Llangasty Talyllyn;  Mother Ann formerly PRICE and Father Thomas HUGHES, Ag Lab.

David born 30 Nov 1864 at Blanlunfy, Cathedine:  parentage as for Charlotte.

Thomas baptized 21 May 1871 at Llangasty, son of Thomas, but mother's name not recorded.  However there is no record of birth, baptism, death or burial for a twin.  Sadly, Thomas junr only survived his mother by 21 months.

In 1881 John 15 and Charlotte 12 are found in Brecknock Workhouse, with recorded birthplace Llangasty Talyllyn for both;  Elizabeth supposedly 22 born Bwlch is found at Dinas Road, Llanfaes, in close proximity to her future husband, Thomas JONES, whom she married 1882 - the certificate recording her age 24 and her father Thomas (deceased).  David 16 appears as an unmarried indoor farm servant born Llangasty in the household of Howell POWELL, farmer of 190 acres at Middlewood, Llangasty.

In 1901, at Llanddew Entire, Eliza[beth] JONES 40 recorded her birthplace Carmarthenshire, Llandillo, but in 1911 she probably admitted that she did not know, for the space is blank that year;  her age recorded 58 and supposedly married 27 years [in fact 29].

It's hardly surprising that I've only been successful in pursuit of Elizabeth, based on family hearsay from her one surviving grandson that she was believed to have originated in Carmarthenshire. I believe her to be the Elizabeth aged 2 in the 1861 household of Thomas 29 and Ann 29 HUGHES with Margaret 6 at Penyrallt, Myddfai (now Llanarthney), Carmarthenshire [RG9/4121 11 15] and I have traced them back further in that County.

Thanks for bearing with me thus far but to summarise:

Thomas HUGHES senr was not recorded at home in 1871 but neither does he appear elsewhere that year, which could support my theory that the enumerator did not call.

The enumerator appears to have transposed the names of mother and eldest daughter present in 1871:  the Vicar at the baptism of Thomas junr a few weeks later was unaware of the name of Thomas's wife.

Should anyone encounter records for the other HUGHES orphans with Breconshire origins I should be delighted to hear.  Descendants might encounter similar problems to mine[!] so I hope that the results of my research might enable them to make the link. 

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk