Author Topic: help with royal marine ww2  (Read 12783 times)

Offline gig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: help with royal marine ww2
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 23:24 GMT (UK) »
hi will
brilliant post yes i will email you thank you
you should remove your email address
the moderaters will probably do it any way
best wishes gigg
Day/staffordshire/warwickshire/birmingham
Cottrill/cotterill warwickshire/worcestershire/redditch
williams  foleshill/ warwickshire/derbyshire
fletcher farnsfield/nottinghamshire/derbyshire
kinder / derbyshire
Vardy /derbyshire
ball /derbyshire/nottinghamshire
dooley /derbyshire
littlewood/nottinghamshire/derbyshire/canada
mortimer/ ireland kildare
Hill derbyshire/nottinghamshire

Offline Simpo2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 February 13 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello all; my first post I think!
My father was a Surgeon-Lieutenant RNVR at the Royal Naval Patrol Service in Lowestoft in 1944 and I've just learned that from 14 Nov that year he moved to HMS Dragonfly (Combined Operations base, South Hayling Island) for 'Naval Party 2400' - and this thread has explained what that was! People here have mentioned Singapore but family memory is that Dad was going to be sent to the Andaman Islands. Whether that is true or not I don't know but thought I'd mention it.
Grateful thanks to those posters with details of 'Naval Party 2400'!
Simpson, Lincoln, Caldow

Offline H2T OZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 August 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
By the way Gig,

I dunno if you really want to find out about you Grandad's little misdemeanours, it was probably nowt too serious, but obvious to someone who knows Service Certificates. If you'd like to contact me at by e-mail, I could advise you on which lines to delete.

Hi there,

I have a certificate of service for my grandad that fits right into this thread.
Hms Valkyrie II & HMS Odyssey being the most difficult to track with no
Naval party no.s, nothing.

Would be very keen to KNOW more about just how naughty they were, cause
I'm suspecting that my grandad was naughty too.

He was navy signals 1943 - 1946, and he was posted at HMS Odyssey from June 2nd 1944
until March 1945.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

GB

Offline bessant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 12:09 GMT (UK) »
hello there,
 royal marine.....ieuan glyndwr reed x 106812
deal holding......24 march '42 / 22 july '42
gosling.............23 july '42 / 1 oct '42
daedalus...........2 oct '42 / 18 may '43
hbl. mnbdo.......19 may'43 / 7 may '44
hbl. rmtg..........8 may '44 /1 nov '45
royal albert ......2 nov '45 / 22 march '46
plymouth div.....23 march / 4 june '46.

my dad never said much , but ceylon , burma, seyshelles and berlin he told me were he'd been looks as thy were following one another , maybe they did meet or new of one another who knows
does a sgt. rosser also welsh been mentioned at all he was a friend of my father.

Offline keithajb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
NP2400, in which my Dad and your Grandad served, was one of 5 MOLCABS formed, by those people at HMS Odyssey in Ilfracombe. They would then have trained together and been transported to the Far East. When the Japs surrendered, only Molcab1 and Molcab 2 were actually deployed. Once in Cochin, India, or Singapore, they became HMS LANDSWELL. Their purpose was to provide accommodation, security and technical facilities/support for Landing-Craft crews while they were operating away from their Parent Ship.(L.S.I's / Troopships) A MOLCAB consisted of 36 Officers and 374 other ranks, of which the vast majority were Royal Marines, under the command of a Royal Marine Officer. There were also Naval technical personnel, like Engine Room Artificers. I have found on a blogsite connected to Kranji War Memorial, in Singapore, mention of the grave of an Engine Room Artificer named B. JONES. He died whilst serving in HMS Landswell on 14th January 1946, at the age of 23.
As an ex Engine Room Artificer myself, I plan to visit his grave when I go to Singapore next month.
Though I can't yet be certain, the information I have and particularly the dates add up, so I am almost sure, they were transported to the Far East and possibly back again on board HMS RAJAH. Well worth looking up. My main source of information is the Royal Marines Museum at Eastney and their website.

After doing some family research, I came across this post about B Jones.

Barrie Jones was my great-grandfather and died while based at HMS Landswell in Singapore.

If anyone has any information about Landswell or Jones I would really appreciate the help!