Author Topic: Hamiltons in Ballygawley  (Read 11269 times)

Offline AussiePaddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hamiltons in Ballygawley
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 March 16 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello J

Thanks for such a prompt reply.
I now know that David Hamiltons DOB was 1797  and NOT 1817. I have a photo of his headstone and it was so hard to read. We visited Ballygawley in 1996 and would love to go again.

If we keep searching something may just pop up for one of us so good luck with your ongoing research.

David Hamiltons Grandson David Stock married a Frances HILL from Co Carlow Ireland. She came to Australia with her brother William Hill. He later left Western Australia and lived the rest of his life in Canada. I think he started out in Boston but went on to Ontario. It took me 14 years to find him.

Cheers

Paddy

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paddy

Persistence does pay off. It has taken me decades to figure out where my family came from and where they went and am still searching. All I knew is my family came from Tyrone/Armagh, no specifics, and that my GGG taught in Penang. It took a long time to be able to pin it down, and unfortunately my dad died before I figured it out. It took me many more years to figure out that so much of the family ended up in Australia!

Where in Ontario did David settle? My dad was actually born in Timmins, Ontario. My grandparents had immigrated there in 1923 from Bristol. My grandfather and his two brothers studied mining at the Camborne School of Mines.

Pat, the eldest and my gf, Bill, came to Timmins, Fred worked internationally. The two sisters remained in the UK.

My dad and gparents moved out to British Columbia abt 1938, and my sisters and were born and raised there.

I've had the gravestone transcription but would love to see the pic. Will send my email in a private message and will be able to look at my files when I get my computer back.

I had always planned on taking my dad to Ireland but never got the chance and have not been able to get there myself, yet....

Happy Easter cousin.
J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline AussiePaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 March 16 02:24 BST (UK) »
Happy Easter to you J

I do have a postal address for William HILLs family in Ontario Somewhere. I will endeavour to find it and send it to your email address when it comes thru. Bit  confusing BUT Wm Hills sister married Margaret Hamiltons son David in Western Australia.

Bob and I visited Ballygawley in 1996 and took a photo of the headstone of David and Catherine (Young) Hamilton. It is not very clear but better than nothing. It is in the graveyard right alongside the Presbyterian Church in Bgawley.

I am also in touch with a Jan from Bendigo in Victoria (Eastern side of Australia) A lovely lady and she said she has also had contact over the years with you. Small world sometimes.

Bob and I spent some hours at our local Latter Day Saints Church (Mormans) and anything I found mentioning the Hamiltons of Ballygawley they were all of the Presby. faith. So I guess they are all somehow related. The puzzle is how. ???? I have been  dabbling in Genealogy since 1983 BUT have only just really got back into it. So much easier than way back then.  We think we may take a trip to the UK around Aug/Sept. 

the Hamiltons are certainly world wide. Amazing how many countries we have relations in. Bob and I did a tour of Canada in 2005 and JUST LOVED IT. There are only two countries I want to go back to and they are Canada and Ireland. Loved both.

Keep searching and maybe just maybe one of us will find the missing piece or pieces of our family puzzle.

Best Wishes

Paddy

Offline AussiePaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
David and Catherine HAMILTON buried in the Ballygawley Presbyterian Church graveyard were my GG grandparents.

Catherines maiden was YOUNG.

Offline AussiePaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:04 BST (UK) »
David and Catherine HAMILTON buried in the Pres. churchyard in Ballygawley were my GG Grandparents. (1867 and 1886)

Catherine was formerly YOUNG.

Cheers

Paddy

Offline ttapl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 July 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
This information from Ulsterheart may help:
p. 301 "John Hamilton, probably a son of David Hamilton who was a Stewart tenant in Cooligery in 1856 was probably a descendant of the John Hamilton of Millex whose name is enshrined in Kerog porch."

Many families in the Ballygawley area had several leases-- one listed as house, office & land, their primary residence, and  another usually nearby lease of land only to extend their farming land.

The land in Coolageery would have been fairly close to David Hamilton's property on Meeting House Street in Ballygawley.  He probably had a business based at that Ballygawley town location.

You may find more information about David Hamilton's family by looking up the Valuation Revision records for his leases on Proni, searchable by townland and parcel number. http://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/Search.aspx

It is also helpful to look at the maps on http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/.

I have a Mary Hamilton born pre-1800, married to Mark Patterson of Killymorgan townland, Errigal Keerogue parish, Tyrone.  Still trying to determine who her parents are.  James Hamilton of Millix townland, Errigal Keerogue is the best candidate so far.

Offline ttapl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 July 16 21:44 BST (UK) »
More information from Ulsterheart:

(I believe Culligary is the same as Coolageery)

As late as 1785 a James Hamilton held 75 acres in Millix. This was probably that small are at the foot of Millix known as Culligary where now stands Martray Manor. There were certainly Hamiltons in Culligary at the time. Andrew Morrison arrived from Scotland, and got the Culligry property when he married Jane Hamilton in 1683, or part of it. Jane may have inherited the property if William, who died so young, had been the heir. That is, Jane Hamilton may well have been a sister of the John Hamilton whose name appears on Kerog's oldest extant stone memorial.

Also from Ulsterheart:

The inscription on the Muliks stone reads "Hereunder lyeth the body of John Hamilton Gent of Muliks who departed this life the (?) year of his age, the 10 Anno 1667". So, this John Hamilton
of Millix must have been born early 1600s. His family is almost certainly the same as that of Archibald Hambleton who in 1628 had at Tate Cosker a bawn 312 X 16 ft. and who on 24th March of that year got permission to hold markets on May 20 and Aug. 24 at Killmorgan. Cosker or Kosker (forest fort) is near the foot of Millix, and the Hamilton structure probably stood where Martray Manor stands today. "Martray" was originally just the fort to the east.

Later in 1628 another Archibald Hamilton lived in Moy Enir Castle near Grange Falls on ground originally granted to Turvin in 1611, passing to Sir Gerald Lowther in 1615 and to Pringle in 1619. But there are indications that the Hamiltons were at Martray in Elizabethan times. 58 Anyhow they are the first of the eight families who dominated Kerog in the 1600s -- Hamilton, Morrison, Haper, Neilly, Erskine, Moutray, Harvey, Speer. The first and most illustrious of these were the Hamiltons.