Author Topic: Hamiltons in Ballygawley  (Read 11271 times)

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hamiltons in Ballygawley
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 March 11 18:35 GMT (UK) »
William Samuel Hamilton worked there in 1922, as stated on his Sep 1922 marriage record. I'm not sure when he started working there or ended, but he immigrated to Canada in Mar 1924.

J

ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline SANTPOD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 March 11 21:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi again

The original Hamiltons in my tree worked as stone masons and Gardener's at Mt Stewart and lived in Bluestone Cottages on the estate, they in turn had many children, some went to the USA and some Canada and also NZ the ones who went to Canada I don't have their names sadly.  Do you know Williams parents names or his Grand parents?

It would be nice if we had a link between us.

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 March 11 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I know William Samuel's parents and grandparents but sadly don't know any extended family's names. And don't know how he came to be working as a guard at Mt Stewart's. I do know that he was supposed to have been an excellent gardener and had a wonderful rock garden.

I'm told there are living descendants of the Mt Stewart family (in Newtownards?). Have you been in touch with them?

My ggggfather's name was David HAMILTON, a Samuel HAMILTON was informant on his death record (tbc), but no relationship was noted. I've run across "possible" relatives in Ballygawley but haven't been able to find out anything more.

My gggparents were John HAMILTON and Eliza Mary LIVINGSTON(E). They lived in Milford, Armagh from about 1860-1927. John was born in Ballygawley, Tyrone and Eliza was from Convoy, Donegal.

William Samuel's parents were William HAMILTON and Edith Charlotte Regina McINTYRE. His father, William, had moved to Penang, Straits Settlements as a schoolmaster in 1892. That's where William Samuel and his four siblings  were born. I do know where most of the descendants are.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline peterbees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 June 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
Rev. Cecil Brett  says,
John Hamilton, might be a son of David Hamilton, a Stewart tenant in Cooligery in 1856 was probably a descendant of the John Hamilton of Millex whose name is enshrined in Kerog porch.
This is close to Ballygawley Town and I also came across one Rev. David Hamilton of Belfast.
I hope that this might help.

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 June 13 04:51 BST (UK) »
Thank your for the suggestion.

I'd found two David HAMILTONs in Griffiths in the area, including the one you mentioned. David HAMILTON - Meeting House St, house yard & sm garden. Lesser Sir John M Stewart, Bt. and David HAMILTON - 2 acres land in Coolagerry (No 7), with no bldgs, very close!! I wonder if they could possibly be the same David?

I wish I knew if there was a relationship, I recall seeing that some time ago in "Ulsterheart", it peaked my interest....

I suspect a possible relationship with several HAMILTONs from the area that moved to Australia and New Zealand but have no verification. Have tracked several but have nothing solid to base it on.

A couple later (somewhat distant) relatives moved to both New Zealand and Australia.

J

Offline SANTPOD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 June 13 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All.  does anyone know the name of William Samuel Hamilton's wife. in my tree some Hamiltons went to off to the usa and settled in clinton,  Massachusetts. any links anyone?

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 June 13 16:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry they aren't the same fellow. My gf, William Samuel HAMILTON married Beatrix Mary SAWYER and immigrated to Timmins, Ontario, Canada in 1924.

I do recall running across other William Samuel HAMILTONs, will see if I can find anything for you.

J

Offline AussiePaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 March 16 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My GG Grandparents were named David HAMILTON and Catherine (Nee Young)
They are both buried together in the Presbyterian church yard in Ballygawley.
David died 28th Oct 1887 aged 70 years.   Catherine died 1st Aug 1886 aged 88.
They had at least 6 children 5 of whom came to Australia. Their daughter Margaret was my G Gmother. (I have her date of BIRTH as 1834) One son John Hamilton stayed in Ireland. 

The 5 Hamiltons who came to Australia mostly live on the East Coast in country Victoria.

I have hit a brick wall finding anything more about David or Catherine in the Ballygawley area Co Tyrone.

Davids date of birth is also a mystery. WAS HE BORN IN  1797 or 1817. If it was the latter he would have only been 17 when his daughter Margaret was born and making Catherine some 19 years old than him.  I have a photo of their headstone in the church yard and it states he was only 70 years of age when he died in 1887 so making his DOB as 1817. the mystery continues. 

I have a book obtained when in Ballygawley in 1996 titled ULSTERHEART by Rev C Brett Ingram and in it there are HEAPS of Hamiltons named. Maybe you can look it up and work out if there are our HAMILTON families.

Good luck with your continuing research.

Cheers

Paddy   Western Australia

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 March 16 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome cousin,

My GGG Grandparents were David Hamiltom and Catherine Young. Their son, John, who stayed in Ireland was my GG Grandfather. He moved from Ballygawley to Milford, Armagh, where they had seven children, who ended up in Ireland, England, Penang and the US. Their descendants went to Canada, Scotland, Wales, Australia, New Zealand etc. My G Grandfather taught in Penang, Straits Settlements for many years, my Grandfather immigrated to Canada.

Unfortunately my computer is away being serviced so don't have access for several days but will have to back to you re specifics.

I had uncovered quite a bit about the Australian relatives, including Margaret when I had my Ancestry subscription - no longer have it. I found a lot of info on Trove.

I have not been able to find out anything further back about David or Catherine yet....

I do suspect some relatives settled in New Zealand, possibly cousins, but have not been able to verify actual connection.

I am in Canada.
J