Author Topic: BLEAKLEY HUGGINS Killashandra  (Read 21602 times)

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLEAKLEY HUGGINS Killashandra
« on: Saturday 11 July 09 10:15 BST (UK) »
Love to discover date of birth and family of ROBERT HUGGINS born March 1841? 18 Miles from Belfast, County Tyrone. Don`t know if 18 miles is in Tyrone? Griffith Lodge.
 Roberts parents were BLEAKLEY/ BLAKELEY BERRY HUGGINS & ANN PRINGE.
Robert as a young child was sent to the West Indies for health reason, where he grew to adulthood and owned Sugar Plantations, but never forgave his parents for the childhood separation. Travelling the world he met his futher wife EMILY ALICE DAVIS ( 1851-1873) in South AFRICA, returning to England were they were married 12 JULY 1883 at St Michaels, Stockwell, Co Surry, London.
Robert (42)and Emily immigrated to Australia where their 5 children were born. Considering Robert wouldn`t allow any contact with his family it`s strange that he called his eldest son BLEAKLEY BERRY HUGGINS born 1883 AUST.

How does all this tie up with KILLASHANDRA. The HUGGINS, BLEAKLEYS & GRIFFITH families were all related and a lot of Irish from County Cavan worked on the plantations in the West Indies including Robert`s brother JOHN HUGGINS who married 2 Nov 1878, MARY ANN BLEAKLEY born 21-2-1858 Co Cavan( parents WILLIAM BLEAKLEY (1822-1879 & RACHAEL ARNOLD died 1881, C. Cavan).

Roberts (Died 24 May 1900 Aust) wife wrote 19 Apr 1939.
''Mrs WIGZELL living the Spit, home broken up, son left GRIFFITH family, related to Huggins through the grandmothers being sisters, Griffith Lodge being the home of the Huggins`s''

WILLIAM BLEAKLEY( Born 7 Jan 1773,  1841 census , died 27 Sept 1850) marr 1817 ISABELLA HUGGINS ( Died 19 April 1862 85 Yrs) Their daug JANE marr THOMAS GRIFFITH, 1842 KILLASHANDRA. Don`t know how that ties up with the grandmothers being sister because I haven`t gone back far enough with the Huggins family.

What I`m leading up to, is the where abouts of GRIFFITH LODGE as it`s mentioned as the home of the HUGGINS family.

Received an email from Alison Causton in 2005 where she gave a reference from the Public Records Office of Northern Island in Belfast
''D.980/20/2: NOV 1851; Blakeley HUGGINS, Kildallen, Co Cavan & David GRIFFITH, Lodge, Co Cavan; Copy Conveyance, Mulmagolan, Co. Cavan."
In Griffith Valuations 1848-1864 BLAKELEY HUGGINS has Townland at Boley and Killyran, Parish of Templeport, Co Cavan.

DOROTHEA GRIFFITH wife of DAVID and Thomas Griffith give their address as GRIFFITH LODGE,  owning 103/109 acres, GENUKI 1876 Land Owners Cavan.

Think these are names of the children of Blakeley Berry HUGGINS & ANN PRINGLE?

ROBERT born March 1841 Marr EMILY ALICE DAVIS 12 JULY 1883.
JOHN     West Indies Planter.   marr MARY ANN BLEAKLEY  2 nOV 1878
WILLIAM
BLEAKLEY
JANE ANN               marr ARMSTRONG moved to America.
SARAH          single died France.
MARGARET
AMELIA

Robert Huggins was my husbands great grandfather.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope someone can help?
Sue.

STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/
HUGGINS Rob & Em DAVIS/Bleakley Berry HUGGINS & Ann PRINGLE Eng/ Ire/ Aus
Will WILLIAMS & Charl STONE I.O.W.
MATHEWS Thos A & Mary DEVINE Louth Ire/Aus.
BELL Jas Ed & Jane KEARNES Braidwood/ Wagga Wagga
RITCHIE Will & Chris Gowans BOYD/GOWANS/ALLAN/CASKIE SCOT

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BLEAKLEY HUGGINS KILLASHANDRA
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Sounds like an interesting family to research. I see that you've other posts on different websites so I won't post the links here but the following might be of interest keeping in mind the West Indies connection-

Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate of James Huggins late of Derricantane in the County of Tyrone Gentleman deceased who died 28 August 1860 at Derricantane aforesaid were granted at Armagh to William Huggins of Belvidere Cottage (Lisburn) in the County of Down Gentleman one of the Joint Universal Devizees. Effects under £20. date of grant 24/11/1860.

The Will (with one Codicil) of William Huggins formerly of Koorsund Indigo Factory near Allahabad in the East Indies and late of Belvidere Cottage Ballyaughlis County Down Esquire deceased who died 10 March 1868 at Belvidere Cottage aforesaid was proved at Belfast by the oaths of John Huggins Marshall (of Glenkeen County Tyrone Gentleman) Arthur Seymour (of Coventry County Warwick England Solicitor) and James Hairstens M'Gowan (of Dumfries Scotland Solicitor) the Executors. (Deceased died domiciled in Ireland.) Effects in Great Britain and Ireland under £18,000- Date of grant 01/05/1868

See www.proni.gov.uk

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
Griffith's Lodge mentioned-

Cavan Weekly News May 24, 1878  DEATH. May 9, at the Fever Hospital, Cavan, of typhoid fever, Johnny GRIFFITH, for many years the faithful servant at Griffith’s Lodge, Milltown; deeply and deservedly regretted.
www.irelandoldnews.com/Cavan/1878/MAY.html

Fergusons of Cavan document mentions Griffiths of Griffith Lodge, Pringle, etc. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/FergusonsOfIreland/Cavan/Deeds/No251.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info which I did check out and proves that their definitely was a GRIFFITH LODGE in KILLASHANDRA and I know that the Huggins`s are connected to the BLEAKLEY`S & BERRY families because the names have been carried down the HUGGINS line.

ISABELLA HUGGINS ( died 19 April 1862) marr 1817 WILLIAM BLEAKLEY ( 1773-1850). Williams parents were WILLIAM BLEAKLY & JANE BERRY marr 1769, KILMORE, but I think there must be other connections with BLEAKLEY/ BLAKELEY BERRY  HUGGINS for the name to be carried down to the grandson.

I have an original old letter to Robert HUGGINS( 1841-1900) from his cousin ANDREW BLEAKLEY ( Born 2 Aug 1838 Killashandra, parents ANDREW BLEAKLEY & MARGARET NOLAN-died 19 Jan 1899, Upper Caboolture, QLD Aust)
ANDREW ( school teacher) arrived in Australia in 1860, with his wife ELIZABETH  nee MONTGOMERY.

ROBERT HUGGINS had previously visited Andrew in Aust. and was intending to move there after his recent marriage in England in 1883 To EMILY ALICE DAVIS.
There are so many Bleakleys in Killashandra and I`ve collected alot of info trying to make connections.

The name HUGGINS being  English or Scottish and they being tenants and landowners, I can only think they came to Ireland during the Resettlement. The Huggins` being on the orange side in Ireland then marrying into the Mathews family in Aust. and the green side.

All this beating around the bush and I still haven`t hit pay dirt and discovered more about ROBERT HUGGINS parents and his brothers and sisters. Maybe there is someone out their researching this family and it will start bells ringing?

Thank you for your time,
Sue.
STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/

Offline akilpatrick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 09 23:45 BST (UK) »
With respect to the two citations of wills from the PRONI web site: James Huggins of Derrycantone, co. Tyrone, and William Huggins, of Ballyaghlis, co. Down, were brothers--both were born at Glenarb townland, parish of Aghaloo, in the county of Tyrone. I have done extensive research of this family line ... their domiciles were primarily in the co. Tyrone, at Glenarb townland and in the towns of Caledon, Dungannon and Strabane. Have not found a link between the county Tyrone family and the families bearing the Huggins surname in counties Antrim, Cavan, Cork, Monaghan, Meath, Westmeath, etc.

Alison Kilpatrick
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 09 01:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alison for your reply.
It all helps.

The Huggins family are related to the Griffith family in Longford and with such large families and Ireland being a small country, if your research goes back far enough with the Huggins name, they must all be related.

The records around Robert Huggins birth in 1841 and cousin Andrew Bleakley , born 1838, seem to have been distroyed by fire so maybe I will never beable to prove ROBERT`s  birth or his parent`s marriage as with his cousin, Andrew ?

I have managed to make a little progress with the Huggins family from a descendant of  Andrew Bleakleys who had  some paid reseach done in Ireland.

*BLEAKLEY BERRY HUGGINS ( dec`d before his son Blakeley`s marriage in 1855) married ANN PRINGE and their were 8 or 9 children to my knowledge.
We believe *Bleakley Berry`s parents were ANDREW HUGGINS and MARGARET BLAKLEY married 1774.

We also discovered *BLEAKLEY & ANN`s son BLAKELEY  HUGGINS ( born 1832? 23 years in 1855) married 25 Oct 1855, Templeport, Co Cavan, LILLY GOODFELLOW ( 18 yrs 1855, father HENRY).

*BLEAKLEY & ANN`s daughter JANE ANNE HUGGINS ( born 1836? 18 years 1854) married 27 July 1854, Templeport, Co Cavan, JAMES ARMSTRONG ( 33 YRS IN 1854, father ARCHIBALD ARMSTRONG ). Which is my American connection.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.
Sue.

Offline jbleakley62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Sue/Readers

I'm like a lot of other people looking for information regarding the "Bleakley Family" especially Andrew Bleakley & Margaret Nolan as you have already mentioned. I would love to have a copy of the letter you have that Andrew wrote to Robert Huggins?

I'm keen to find out what ever happened to:-

Andrew's parents after he came to Australia in 1860? and anything else to do with the parents, brothers?, sisters?, their parents? etc.

Were there any other brothers or sisters of Andrew Bleakley and where did they end up? eg. Did they stay in Ireland or some where else in the world?

Also I'm led to believe that there were cousins that visited and stayed with Andrew Bleakley in Australia at Upper Caboolture where one of them is believed to have had an accident and died? I haven't found a grave site but I have been looking for a Bleakley? After the accident the other person is believed to have gone back to Ireland?

I would like to have a Bleakley contact/contacts in Killashandra, Co Cavan+, to communicate with?

I hope some one can help with these requests? - Sue you appear to have quite a deal of information on the Bleakley's I would appreciate it if you can help?

Jbleakley62.

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas! Your prayers have been answered.
My good friend Nelle is a decendant of Andrew Bleakley and writing a book about Bleakleys for their reunion next September in Queensland. So in contact with branches of Bleakleys world wide. Nelle will be delight inbetween the Christmas family cheer, to receive your email, which I will forward on directly.
It`s Christmas eve and one hundred and one things to do, so will get back to you later.
God bless you,
Sue.

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 December 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear jbleakley,
If your a descendant of Andrew Bleakley, mostlikely you live in Australia?
Unforunately we don`t know of any descendants in Killashandra, Co Cavan. There are only a few Bleakleys in the Irish Phone book. They mostly emigrated all over the world.
We are very happy to share our research.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Sue.