Author Topic: BLEAKLEY HUGGINS Killashandra  (Read 21605 times)

Offline jbleakley62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BLEAKLEY HUGGINS KILLASHANDRA
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 February 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Sue,

Thanks for replying to my requests but someone must know of Margaret Bleakley (nee Nolan) Andrew's Mother?
I stumbled onto a person when looking at B.D.M on an Irish History Site on the week end, with the  name of Margaret Blakley who died 2/2/1875 Ballyshiel Co. Down Parish/District of Banbridge. She was 57 years when she died which would make her around about the right age?
I'm wondering if you have come across her and if so what's your thoughts?
I await your reply?

Jbleakley62.

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 February 10 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Dear J Bleakley,
I did have a look at the BLAKLEY family of Ballyshiel, Co Down. Ros. Davies has a very good site, Surnames of Co Down; Blakely, Bleakley, Blackley and variants on freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestory;com/     .
There is a possibility, but I dont think so.
We have a more likely date with a Margaret Bleakley who died on the 17th May 1902, age 88, Portlongfield. Born about 1814 so could be the wife of Andrew, (Margaret Nolan).
Andrew Bleakley was born about 1818 and was 23 in 1841 Census. Andrew married Margaret Nolan and their son Andrew Bleakley was born on the 2nd August 1838, Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, according to church records that are now unavailable, just mushy paper according to Priest, which has been sent to the records office.
Andrew`s  father ( 1818-1842) died 10th April 1842, age 25 yrs. Killeshandra. We don`t have the death certificate so can only wonder what caused his untimely death at such a young age. Margaret would have mostlikely remarried so who knows what her surname was at time of death. For that matter, who brought up little Andrew.
Andrew Bleakley married 30th March, 1858, Co Cavan, Elizabeth Montgomery and he died 19th January 1899, Upper Caboolture. QLD, Australia.
Could you find out more info about the cousins who visited the Bleakleys in QLD from Ireland. There were seven families of Bleakleys in Killeshandra for the 1841 census, with large families who intermarried etc. So lots of cousins with different surnames including Huggins. 
Robert Huggins sister married a James Armstrong in Killeshandra, with their children they visited Australia  then decided to live in America. Along the way a couple of young children died but I don`t know all the details.
The name Bleakley is nearly as common as Smith in America. Different branches of the Bleakley family also settled in Australia and New Zealand for Killeshandra and we are still trying to discover how they fit into the family tree.
Thankyou for your help.
Would be very interested to hear any Bleakley stories or memories.
Sue.
STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/
HUGGINS Rob & Em DAVIS/Bleakley Berry HUGGINS & Ann PRINGLE Eng/ Ire/ Aus
Will WILLIAMS & Charl STONE I.O.W.
MATHEWS Thos A & Mary DEVINE Louth Ire/Aus.
BELL Jas Ed & Jane KEARNES Braidwood/ Wagga Wagga
RITCHIE Will & Chris Gowans BOYD/GOWANS/ALLAN/CASKIE SCOT

Offline draarcy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
You may wish to look at this site:
http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=6717961

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
Census for 1901 shows

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0e9v/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0e9w/

My Bleakleys were in Monaghan... there was Swan & Bleakley, Haberdashery, Monaghan Town, Rev John Bleakley in 1st Monaghan Pres. Church, another was Roads Inspector in Co. Council but the families they married into lived on the borders with Cavan and Fermanagh..there are 3 g/stones in Clogh C Of I, Co Fermanagh for a Hugh, Robert and Christopher but if they are related or not it doesn't say! All born in 1800's...

Haven't done much work on the name but you might get famly units from census stuff!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 July 11 01:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Dave,
Thank you for your interesting email about the Bleakleys. We realised that to go back further with our research we would have to look at other neighbouring counties for our roots. With such large families, there were so many intermarriages, that ever person seems to be related on one branch or other of the family tree. I noticesd we also have Bothwell, Breakey and Berry in common.
Nelle, who has written her Bleakley family history, has gone back further with her research would like to make contact with you.
I don`t remember how to send this email through the private section of RootsChat and would like to give you Nelle`s email address, so will leave it to the site to put in the appropriate place.       
Gillian, an Aussie also, is visiting Ireland at present doing research into the Bleakleys in Killeshandra, Co Cavan.
God bless,
Breta.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BLEAKLEY HUGGINS Killashandra
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 July 11 17:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, if you do an extended tree showing marriages of all siblings and same over a few generations then you get so many cross connections between all the various surnames that everyone seems to be related to each other BUT sometimes one finds the same surnames marrying in other counties and even after emigrating. Units of each family seem to emigrate to same places in US or Oz etc that pattern appear. Sometimes even townlands in US named after where they lived in Ireland.. "Monaghan township" etc.

The variations in spelling of Bleaky/Bleakley don't help!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 August 11 03:20 BST (UK) »
I think Dorothea / Dora Griffith, wife of David shown in Griffith Valuation 1848-64 for Co Cavan is the long lost sister of Isabella Huggins of Griffith Lodge, Artonagh, Milltown, Parish of Drumlane, said to be the home of the Huggins family.
All the info I have on David & Dora Griffith comes from the old Cavan Newspapers on the net.
David Griffith, died July 1854, they had two sons; Edmond, died 1856, no issue. John`s wife had a daughter 14 FEB 1877 at Tomkinroad House, Belturbet.
I can`t help but think that the other Griffith names on the Griffith Valuation in that area are related to each other as well as inter married to the Huggins and Bleakley families.
If you go by gut feelings it seems right because Robert & Emily Huggins (1841-1900) called his daughter Dorothy ( aunty Dora ) and his other daughter Florence Larsen called her only daughter Dorothy Larsen.
Emily Huggins and daughter Flo, were friend with the descendants of Isabella Huggins and Wigzell`s in Sydney, Aust., who claimed to have descended from two sisters, grandmothers (?) who lived at Griffith Lodge, Ireland, home of the Huggins family.
Need to find out more about the Griffith family in Cavan and a marriage between Dorothea Huggins and David Griffith.
God bless,

Sue.

Robert`s father Blakeley Huggins, died before his sons marriage in 1855 and Dora Griffith`s husband David died in 1854, so about right age frame for Blakeley Huggins and Dora Griffith to be brother and sister.
There is also the conveyance in 1851 between Blakeley Huggins, Kildallen Co Cavan and David Griffith, Lodge, Co Cavan.

Offline lgriffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Breta,

Seeing mention of Wigzell I thought the following may be of interest in hope that it might bring out more information about my Co. Cavan connections.  I am a decendent of Simon Griffith and Rachel Matchett. 

William Henry Wigzell: BC indicates he was born on 26 Feb 1857 but baptismal records from St Michaels, Christchurch suggest he was born on 26 Jan 1857 and baptised on 5 May 1857.

William sailed from NZ presumably with his two brothers in the 1880's.  He met & married Anne Eliza Griffith who had arrived in the colony with her parents (Thomas Griffith and Jane Bleakley) and siblings aboard  the "Spitfire" in 1863.

His marriage was conducted by Rev. Joseph Barnier who is a relative on the Crawford or maternal side of my family.  The witnesses were David & Ann Kennedy.  Unfortunately it is not possible to decipher William's occupation at the time.

William was a hairdresser who had a shop in William St. (Kings Cross), Sydney.  William invested his money into real estate including 110, 126, 154 &177 Victoria At. Darlinghurst; 11, 13, 15 & 17 Darley St. Darlinghurst; 151 Queen St. Woollahra; 36 Maclaren St, North Sydney; 4 Battle Boulevarde, Seaforth as well as the William St property.

The premises in William St had 8 rooms and 4 were rented out to "May Valet - entrance in Kirketon Rd.; a bootmaker; James McGregor an upholster & George Adams a cake expert.

A family story yet to be researched is that William was offered good money to sell his William St property but refused and many articles were written about him in the newspapers of the time.  The shop was at the top of William St. on the south side.

The book "Faces of the Street - William St., Sydney 1916" by Max Kelly makes reference to William and his shop.

Both William and Annie are buried in the same grave at Waverley.

Hope you find this useful
Les

Offline peter upton-davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 January 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hullo my name is Peter (upton) Davis & I have looked at the George Bleakley household, house 13 Portlingfield Killashandra in the 1841 census & think that the Elizabeth Davis 10 yo grand daughter from Derrylane is probably my relative (daughter of Henry Davis). i am unaware though who was her grandmother possibly Elizabeth Bleakley.
Anyone have any ideas?
peter