Author Topic: 1881 census maybe for GLASGOW  (Read 1970 times)

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1881 census maybe for GLASGOW
« on: Saturday 11 July 09 11:03 BST (UK) »
I am looking for 1881 census for Elizabeth CALDWELL (widow) aged 52 yrs b:1828 Greenock Renfrewshire (nee Hatrick)she should be with Elizabeth Caldwell 21 yrs (daughter), Christina aged 16 yrs (daug) and also son-in-law James Howie b.1858 Houston Renf. and his wife Agnes Pollock Howie nee Caldwell b.1857 and their daughter Elizabeth 3 days.

I have a printout from freepages.genealogy. rootsweb, which says that they were on the 1881 census at 17 Annfield St. Glasgow, Lanarkshire. Placed there by persons unknown.

I have tried Ancestry and Scotlandspeople, but have not found them.  Are there records out there that are some place else.

sabrina

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 census maybe for GLASGOW
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
1881 census, taken from disc.

Address 17 Annfield St
Census Place:   Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Elizabeth CALDWELL,  widow (head) age 52 born Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Occ:   Upholstery Sewer
Elizabeth CALDWELL,  daughter, age 21 born Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland
Occ:   Upholstery Sewer
Christina CALDWELL, daughter, age 16 born Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Occ:   Handkerchief Folder
Agnes HOWIE   Married, daughter, age 23 born Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland
James HOWIE   Married, son in law, age 23 born Houstoun, Renfrew, Scotland
Occ:   Engineer & Fitter
Elizabeth HOWIE. grandaughter, aged 3d born Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 09 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you capricorn.  You are a lifesaver.  I needed the proof before I could use it.  Is there a difference between the disc and ancestry records.

sabrina

Offline AHATRICK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello - I just came across your posting about Elizabeth Caldwell nee Hatrick - her brother Alexander was my great great grandfather. I would be interested to know if we are connected? Alexander went to Australia, had a large family, and died in New Zealand, where his son, Alexander, had moved to.

Regards
Amanda Morrison (nee Hatrick)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
I have tried Ancestry and Scotlandspeople, but have not found them.  Are there records out there that are some place else.
I know this is an old post, but no-one has answered the question. The answer is no.

The information on Ancestry, freepages, FindMyPast, the LDS discs etc is not original. All of it is either indexing or transcriptions of the originals. There is only one source of original documents, and that is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Never believe anything you find online unless it is an image of an original document.

The Caldwell family you were looking for is in the index at Scotland's People, listed in Dennistoun, District 644.3, enumeration book no 16, page 12.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.