Author Topic: Langley or Langney Green, Seaside, Eastbourne before 1916  (Read 20706 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Langley or Langney Green, Seaside, Eastbourne before 1916
« on: Saturday 26 February 05 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering where I might get information or find photos taken of Langney or Langley Green, possibly of Ivy Cottage, where my great-grandfather George Sherwood and his family lived from at least 1891 until 1916.
I recently visited Eastbourne, and this whole area has been built over; but I did try to locate where his house was by referring to Eastbourne Directories from 1894 until 1916.
The cottage/house was somewhere right at the east end of the road called Seaside; travelling eastwards, on the right-hand side, opposite The Archery Tavern.  The Arlington Arms is also mentioned in these directories as being close by.  So is St. Anthony's Avenue, Anthony Tower Rd, and the Eastbourne Aviation flying grounds.
You can see how confused I am about the exact location of "Ivy Cottage", Langney Green, so could someone with a good local knowledge of the area over the last 100 years, and possibly an idea where I could look at some pre-1916 photos, please come to my rescue.
Very best wishes,
Keith
p.s. The Langley name seems at some stage to have changed to Langney....

Offline sandra70

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Langley or Langney Green, Seaside, Eastbourne before 1916
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 February 05 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Langney and Seaside are not side by side - so your posting is a little confusing !
I live in Eastbourne, and work just off seaside - I will print it off and have a closer look (your posting that is !) -  Let me know if you find anything else out..............

cheers
sandra
Wennington, co Durham. Kirtley, Co Durham.
Pitt, Walworth, London. Hilder, Sussex. Humphrey, Sussex.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 February 05 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Sandra,
Sorry to be so thoroughly confusing about all this...  I'll have another look at it and try and untangle what I'm trying to get at.  It's Langley or Langney Green that I want, and I was only trying to use Seaside to home in on it.  Directions that I read in the various directories tended to thoroughly confuse me...
Keith

Offline sandra70

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 05 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Morning Keith,

I will take your posting to work, as there are some older people there than me, they might have a clue, never knew we had an Aviation flying ground !
I am also looking for old photos of Eastbourne, but as yet, can only find the Pier
and the Bandstand - we recently moved, and I am trying to find one of our house when it was first built.

If all else fails, I will give the contact details for our local paper, and you could write to the editor, and someone might reply - you can access our paper on line, so you would be able to see the replies - I could always post you a copy as well.

I will keep you posted if I find anything else out.

P.S snowing here in Eastbourne today, very very rare for us to have snow, and this is about the 3rd time in 7 days................world record !!!

Regards
Sandra

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 February 05 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra and Keith

If you're looking for old photographs of the Eastbourne area to help you in your quest there was a book published some years ago of Eastbourne in old photographs I think called Eastbourne past and present and from a quick website by David Arscott.  It will be available from public libraries.  by Alan Sutton publishing.  I have one of Heathfield and one of Hailsham, they were all part of a series published in the early 90s and I know there was one for Eastbourne - I borrowed it from my library.  Alan Sutton Publishing has a website.

Hope this helps

kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline sandra70

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 February 05 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanx Kerryb,
                                                                                                                                             will check it out at the library first, before buying -

Keith you, can this on line at www.amazon.co.uk

cheers
Sandra

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 February 05 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Sandra, and kerryb,
Sorry to hear that the E. Sussex Riviera is more like The Alps at the moment, but thank you for putting so much effort into my query.  I'll see if I can get hold of that pictorial book about Eastbourne. I hope that maybe those at your workplace with older local knowledge might know more.
Maybe they have a collection of photos and maps at Lewes Record Office...
Keith

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 February 05 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a couple of books of Eastbourne photos.  The first is "A Century of Eastbourne' by David Arscott.  It was produced by WH Smiths.  Topically, it contains a picture of the Great Blizzard of 1908.  Having looked at the picture I would hardly call it a great blizzard!  I used to live in Eastbourne but now live in Boston, MA, USA and have just returned from a week's vacation in London.  It was funny to see all the fuss about a few flakes of snow.  I guess that it is all what you are used to.  As an aside, did you know that England's greatest avalanche disaster occurred in Lewes? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/nature/wtt/03.shtml).
This book also contains several aviation photos and mentions the Eastbourne Aviation Company which built seaplanes at a factory on the Crumbles.
The second book is Francis Frith's "Around Eastbourne."  Photos of Eastbourne can be found at www.francisfrith.co.uk.
Eastbourne Local History Society also have published a book "A History of the Eastbourne Aviation Company"

The book "Eastbourne's Great War 1914-1918 by RA Elliston, SB Publications includes a chapter on the Royal Naval Flying School.  It states "On 1st December 1911 the Eastbourne Flying School opened on a 50 acre site on Willingdon Levels to the west of St. Anthony's hill.  One row of hangars fronted the line of the present day Leeds Avenue whilst a double row was located at right angles to Lottbridge Drove in what is now Birch Road.

I have looked at the 1891 census and see that Arthur Sherwood and family (including George D Sherwood, age 4) lived at 8 Seaside Road.

Is this the right family?  If so it is at the opposite end of Seaside Road from the area that you describe.

There is a mailing list dedicated to Eastbourne family history on Rootsweb (ENG-SUSSEX-EASTBOURNE-L ).  Folks there may be able to give you more information about Ivy Cottage.

Regards

Mark Milton
Belmont, MA, USA (but formerly of Eastbourne)
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 February 05 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mark,
Thanks so much for that comprehensive response to my query.  I'll certainly have a look at all the sources you mention.
And, no, the Arthur Sherwood you mention is not the household I'm referring to.  In the 1891 Census George William Shearwood (sic) is at 2, Ivey (sic) Cottages, Langney, with his wife and six sons.
In the 1901 Census he is listed as George Sherwood, at Ivy Cottage, Langley (sic) Green.
All these mis-transcriptions and name changes do indeed leave one feeling rather "sic" and perplexed oneself at times!
But seriously, thanks for all that info. re the Flying School nearby, amongst other things.
Keith