Author Topic: Langley or Langney Green, Seaside, Eastbourne before 1916  (Read 20709 times)

Offline snoulton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Langley or Langney Green, Seaside, Eastbourne before 1916
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 March 05 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, in Eastbourne we have both Langley and Langney, Langney Green is at the very east end of Eastbourne, way past the Archery pub and the Arlington Arms, also it is Salehurst Road, not Street as has been suggested.

Brenda [and OAP, born,bred and still living in Eastbourne]

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 19 March 05 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Brenda,
Lovely to hear the facts given by a born and bred Eastbourne person!  And thanks for those details.  I've just intervened in quite an animated thread in the Common Room about where a photo was taken - it was in Cambridge, where I have lived for the last 33 years.  Now they're arguing about the photo's date, but I'm not getting involved in that...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline Trangy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 March 05 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Keith,
It may be worth your while to take a look at the following:-
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
Put Langney in the box and then search, it should bring up the 1879 OS map for the area, scanning around I see it shows the Lodge and Archery pubs amongst things on it could be worth a look.
Trangy.
Guildfordian living in Langney!
Worsfold, Guildford area
Elstone,   Guildford, Dartford, Bramshot
Trangmar One name study (GOONS 4197)
Tranmer   One name study (GOONS 4197)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 19 March 05 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Trangy,
I'm still not sure when Langley changed to Langney, or whether they are still interchangeable.  I've had a look at the old map of 1879, and there really wasn't much there in those days, was there?  Eastbourne was quite tiny compared to Brighton...
I once changed trains in Guildford hoping to get to somewhere nearby in Surrey, and ended up in Hampshire by mistake, if I remember...
Keith

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 25 March 05 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Interesting issue, what is the correct name? The Uckfield to Langney Bridge Turnpike Trust of 1754 clearly shows one spelling. The Yearkell and Gardener map of 1778 shows Langney point, yet the first Ordance Survey map (1793 survey Sheeet 88 Hastings, printed 1811) uses Langley, but the modern maps again show Langney.
As to Ivy Cottage, if it is possibly in Westham parish, it may be a bit further north or west than the end of the more modern Seaside road.
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 25 March 05 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, Rod,
I too had noticed how interchangeable Langney/Langley has become on the various maps, documents, and perhaps there is no definitive answer.
Thanks for choosing this thread to make your first posting - this is an excellent site, I guarantee!
Keith

Offline antonacb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 17 December 10 16:03 GMT (UK) »
HI KEITH,MY NAME IS ANN,I NOW LIVE IN BRIBIE ISLAND AUSTRALIA BUT WAS BORN AND GREW UP IN EASTBOURNE.WE MUST BE RELATED AS MY MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME WAS SHERWOOD,HER FATHER GEORGE WILLIAM AND HIS FATHER GEORGE WILLIAM OF IVY COTTAGE ALSO WHICH I HAVE HEARD BY MY GRANDMOTHER MANY YEARS AGO CALLED BLACK COTTAGE.WHICH SIBLING DO YOU COME FROM?MY GRANDFATHER GEORGE WAS THE SECOND OF 17 CHILDREN AND BERTIE ENDED UP WITH HIS FAMILY IN AUSTRALIA TOO,AS DID CAROLINE AND FRANK FOR A FEW YEARS,SHE RETURNED TO EASTBOURNE BUT ONE OF HER DAUGHTERS STELLA STILL LIVES IN AUSTRALIA,VERY AGED NOW AND LIVING IN PERTH.WE HAVE ONLY JUST COME BACK FROM THE UK AND WE DID SOME RECORD SEARCHING WHILE OVER THERE.WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU,IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND I WOULD BE HAPPY TO GIVE YOU MY EMAIL ADDRESS.
BEST WISHES
ANN

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 17 December 10 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Ann,
Oh, how exciting, and welcome to Rootschat!
It has always puzzled me that with as many as 17 children - I have only 14 on the radar, so you must let me know about the other ones - too expensive to send away for birth certificates for all of them to determine which SHERWOOD's born in Eastbourne from 1878 had George William and Annie/Hannah as their parents - sharp intake of breath, sentence getting a bit unwieldy; it has always puzzled me that I have never come across in my SHERWOOD family history research any other lines descended  from that generation of siblings, the first nine of whom were  remarkably all sons.
My family are descended from John Charles SHERWOOD, their third son, and the next one down from your ancestor, it seems.  At some stage in his adulthood he went out to New Zealand, made a bit of money, was able to buy a house in Eastbourne, and married there in 1916, the same year that his father George William died.  I've always been fascinated about where they lived, and you giving another name to their residence brings it to life for the first time...
I think you need to post another couple of times on here before I can send you a PM (Personal Message), so if you'd like to acknowledge this post, and then my reply, I will PM you with my e-mail address and we can begin to exchange SHERWOOD information...
How very good...!
Very best wishes, keith

Offline antonacb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 18 December 10 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
Thanks for your welcome,sorry about the caps,I have just been told it means you are shouting and people will not respond,so I am very glad you did. It sure is exciting and maybe between us we can piece more together on this line.When in the UK we did a number of record offices all over the Country and a lot is still on paper,I will now make an all out effort to put the Sherwood line first up on the computer.I went to St Marys Girls School and Bedewell,worked as a Telephonist first at Eastbourne then Derby. Lived in Milton Road as a girl my Mother was Dorothy Sherwood,her Mother Alice Gearing Barber,married George Willam Sherwood.I did also see you have been researching the Miles family as have I and still unable to find the Birth or Christening of Elizabeth Upton,did go to the Birmingham Record Office but not Coventry which is where I probably should have.
Very Best Wishes
Ann