Author Topic: FIDGETT - Ipswich - St peters  (Read 8284 times)

Offline FidgettFerret

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FIDGETT - Ipswich - St peters
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 July 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
I am intrigued by this message thread as I am researching the various Fidgett families. The birth certificates for Thomas Charles and George Herbert show the father to be Thomas Fidgett and the mother as Rebecca (formerly Cooper). Rebecca Cooper married George Peacock in Jan/Feb/Mar 1869 and they appear on the 1881 Census for Harwich along with five children. George presumably died or disappeared soon afterwards, and Rebecca appears to have had a number of children fathered by Thomas Fidgett, but I can find no record of marriage between Thomas Fidgett and Rebecca Peacock. Thomas is a bit of a mystery to me; the most likely contender is John Thomas Fidgett, born Mistley 1860, who died Oct/Nov/Dec 1888. I would welcome any further information supporting or discounting this theory, and am happy to exchange information that I have with 'Goldbar' and 'family_tree_owl'.

Offline Goldbar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 July 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi FidgettFerret,
Yes, you are right that it is a mystery.  The reason I started researching this family is that the child (Eliza Maud Peacock) on the 1881/91 Census was my grandmother who did a "disappearing act" on three very small little girls, one of whom was my mother.  I was pleased to find the family and yes, my mother and one of her sisters was born in Harwich. 

I then started investigating Rebecca and George Peacock.  You are right, Rebecca was a Cooper from Chelmondiston, near Ipswich and the family had lived there for some generations.

Because Rebecca appeared as a widow on the 1891 Census as a widow in Ipswich I then started to research George's death but have never been able to find it.

I then moved sideways and found grandchildren of sisters who have given me masses of information including informing me that the three young boys on the 1891 Census were called Fidgett.

I have a birth certificate for Thomas Charles b. 1882 whose father was Thomas a labourer and at the time they were living at 3. Lower Orwell Street, Ipswich.

I have a death certificate for Victor Fidgett Peacock, d. 1892 at George Street, Harwich, aged 4 and it says he was the son of John Peacock, a Journeyman Miller, mother, Rebecca Peacock.

Your guess is as good as mine!

I could not trace the 1901 Census but I found the 1911 Census and Rebecca Peacock was living in Greenwich.  She then died in the Union Infrmary in 1918 in Greenwich.

I welcome your interest and hope you understand all this.

Goldbar

Offline FidgettFerret

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldbar,

My main interest here is attempting to identify Thomas Fidgett the 'husband' of Rebecca Cooper/Peacock/Fidgett. I would welcome any suggestions/comments on this.

You mentioned that you couldn't find Rebecca Fidgett/Peacock on the 1901 Census. I am reasonably certain that she is Rebecca Fidgett of 8 Little Gipping St, Ipswich (see an earlier posting by 'Ye Olde Friar') as this address was given by Bertie (George Herbert) Fidgett as his next of kin on his Army Records.

Regarding Victor Fidgett Peacock, there appears to be no birth record for him. His death was registered in the Tendring District, which covers Harwich, where his mother and her Peacock children were living in 1881. However, in 1882-1891+ they were living in Ipswich. I wonder if John Albert V Peacock (born Ipswich Oct/Nov/Dec 1888) is the same Victor Fidgett Peacock? I am puzzled as to who
John Peacock (journeyman Miller) is, since George Peacock was the husband of Rebecca Cooper, and father of her first five children (1881 Census) and then Thomas Fidgett was father of Thomas Charles and George Herbert (I also have these two birth certificates), and presumably also Ernest Frederick, and possibly John Albert V. I wonder if there are Baptism records in Ipswich for these boys?

In the 1911 Census George (Bertie) was living at Blackheath Hill, London (near Geenwich) with his wife Lucy and three daughters. He was working as a Miller's Labourer. Maybe Rebecca moved from Ipswich to Greenwich to be close to her son and grandchildren?

There are still many unanswered questions here, so hopefully there will be a number of useful replies to this posting.

Offline SVBryan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I see that there has been a long lull in this thread, but very interested in any information on George Herbert's family, as he was my paternal grandmother's father. She was Gertrude Ivy Fidgett, daughter of Lucy Adelaide (Brice/Fidgett/Kirk).