Author Topic: Ivy Leaf Holiday Site, Blackpool  (Read 14455 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy Leaf Holiday Site, Blackpool
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 July 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
When we were kids in the early 1950s we went for a week to a holiday camp just outside Blackpool called Squires Gate - I think it was near to St Anne's. I wonder if it was a 'continuation' of the Ivy House camp?

Offline Glenpenny

• RootsChat Senior
  • G.g.g.grandad Catlow 1811-1894
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 July 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
Memories are stirring again!  Fred Wood was a portrait artist.  I remember he painted  a portrait of my old headmistress and it hung (quite menacingly as she was not an attractive lady) in the assembly hall.

I've just found this - http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2007/mar/16/obituaries.mainsection
Clifton - Kirkham, Garstang, Lancs
Benson - Greenhalgh, Lancs
Hankinson - Freckleton, Lancs
Roobottom - Barnsley, W.Yorks
Drelincourt - Ireland
McLintock - Barnsley, w.Yorks
Catlow - Colne, Newchurch-in-Pendle, Lancs
Bowker - Newchurch-in-Pendle, Lancs
Bambridge - Stebbing, Essex
Lagden - Thaxted, Stebbing, Essex
Perry - Stebbing, Essex
Wileber - Farcet, Huntingdon
Census Information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HarvestMoon007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 August 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
The Ivy Leaf was, indeed, on Common Edge Road.  The little old house is still there but, alas, it's now on the extremely busy junction of Common Edge Road and Squires Gate Lane  >:( 

I was born in Blackpool and remember my best friends Mum used to work at the Ivy Leaf as a cleaner.  That was in the 1970's.  Blackpool has changed dramatically since I left in 1991 and much of the change is for the worse.  I hate to say this but I'm actually ashamed of being born there!!  My son, who was also born in Blackpool, now tells people he's from St Annes   :'(

Offline lyntonita

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 September 09 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaqy, thanks for your reply.  Haven't logged in for a while and couldn't remember my log-in details.  I got hold of a book written by Bertha Wood.  She and her husband started up the Ivy House Camp Site and eventually opened the Ivy Leaf Club, which as you say was at Squires Gate.  I believe it was where the new housing now stands.   I was able to contact a friend of Bertha's son who asked some older members of the family if they knew of the person I was searching for but was unable to tell me anything. Apparently they don't have any written records from that period, only memories.   I'm looking for a William/Kenneth Harrison who was last seen around 1947 playing the piano at a holiday site club in or near Blackpool.  He was from Salford and worked on a circuit of clubs.  I live in the Fylde so I know what you mean about present day Blackpool.  Nothing like the town where I spent holidays as a child from Salford!
Regards, Lynne 

Offline vmt100

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 June 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
my name is Val and i used to live on Ivy House holiday camp on the residential caravan site, i used to go to St Nicholas school, my mum doreen used to be a cleaner in the Ivy House club.. i lived there between being born in 1964 and we left when the residential site was due to close about 1973/4.. i remember the man who lived in the cottage, we called him uncle Sid, i remember him having a long beard, we used to buy chrysanthemums from his small market garden at christmas for my nannas and he used to sell the most delicious tomatoes in the summer..  :D my auntie and uncle still live on Common Edge Rd, i used to swim with my cousins in the pool next to the club in the summer time..  i moved away from Blackpool in 1986 but when i go back to visit my family it grieves me to see part of my childhood has totally disappeared under a housing estate and large road junction

Offline captain caff

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 01:25 BST (UK) »
We had quite a few holidays at Ivy house holiday camp,in the late 60's- early 70's-happy holidays,remember it as being pretty well-appointed.A shilling meter in the chalet,a 1kw radiant heater,a fairly well stocked camp shop,swimming pool,& amusement arcade--completely "self catering",a less expensive version of Pontin's! there was also the"Ivy Leaf" camp social club-if my memory serves me correctly,the resident compere was Freddie Bent-a dead ringer for that bloke who Benny Hill used to smack on the head! And you could rent a b&w portable television from the reception,for a guinea a week (£1.05,in today's money!).We also bought tomatoes from the farm next door to the camp-great stuff! On one holiday, there was a Lancaster bomber parked at nearby Blackpool airport,that you could go and crawl around in,for a small fee.Changing tack slightly,there was also a great stall on Central pier-the owner had themed it as a ship/submarine,and it was bristling with high magnification ex-Navy binoculars,even a periscope-we spent ages in there! :D

Offline Gracie2017

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emms
Would you have the link that you were telling Simon about had the information of the ivy leaf please?
Thank you
Grace

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 January 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
The Ivy Leaf was, indeed, on Common Edge Road.  The little old house is still there but, alas, it's now on the extremely busy junction of Common Edge Road and Squires Gate Lane  >:( 

Just as a point of interest the cottage is still lived in today. Its name is Blowing Sands Cottage and it has the Blue Plaque on its wall