Author Topic: Gemmell Family Scotland to Canada Help Please  (Read 10750 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gemmell Family Scotland to Canada Help Please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:30 BST (UK) »
Margaret Ferguson Gemmell crossed Dec 1914 at Pembina North Dakota.  Her address was Brandon, Manitoba, her sister, Annie McLaughlin's address was given and a destination of Plainfield Illinois.

Debbie

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

Thanks for all the help - you managed to find a lot there!  Anne is on the Brandon tombstone as Anne McLachlan (died 9th Sept 1974) so I just assumed she also came to Canada, married there and died there but as the names of the whole family are on the tombstone perhaps she was just added as well even although she died in Scotland?  Quite strange.  Scottish records are my forte and I can't see any way Annie would be registered in Beith if she died in Canada so that seems the only sensible explanation.  Unless, of course, she did come to Canada and the Beith death is someone else but it seems unlikely in light of what you've found.  Thanks so much.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:41 BST (UK) »
Margaret Ferguson Gemmell crossed Dec 1914 at Pembina North Dakota.  Her address was Brandon, Manitoba, her sister, Annie McLaughlin's address was given and a destination of Plainfield Illinois.

Debbie

Thanks for this - it definitely proves Annie married in Scotland and it looks like she remained there.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:49 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is really common but it also isn't unusual for the deaths of an entire family to be listed on a memorial whether they died there or not. I've come across that type of memorial more than once with my own lines.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:53 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is really common but it also isn't unusual for the deaths of an entire family to be listed on a memorial whether they died there or not. I've come across that type of memorial more than once with my own lines.

Jacquie

Thanks Jacquie - I'm convinced this is what has happened in this case and it makes sense as even a baby Thomas who died in Scotland in 1896 is listed on the tombstone (I'd forgotten about him!)

Regards

Michelle

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 July 09 05:44 BST (UK) »
Michelle, if you go in the Newspaper & Periodicals section of Ancestry and do a search for Margaret Gemmell you will find an article about her death in the Brandon Sun dated 23 Dec 1974 and an obituary in the Brandon Sun dated 24 Dec 1974. There were 74 hits when I searched her name in the Brandon Sun. I didn't look at them all but the ones I did look at (about 10) were her. There were also mentions of her sister Jennie Ferguson Gemmell in many of the articles. Most of the articles were related to their involvement with various organizations.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 July 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Michelle, if you go in the Newspaper & Periodicals section of Ancestry and do a search for Margaret Gemmell you will find an article about her death in the Brandon Sun dated 23 Dec 1974 and an obituary in the Brandon Sun dated 24 Dec 1974.

Hi Jacquie,

Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look at these.

Regards

Michelle

Offline Maggeb

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 July 18 03:23 BST (UK) »
Just found out about your request from a cousin. My husband is a descendant of Thomas and Janet. His grandfather was Andrew ( Jessie) I am on Heritage and Ancestry with Gemmell Family trees. Would be glad to help if you still need some info !     Maggeb