Author Topic: Gemmell Family Scotland to Canada Help Please  (Read 10751 times)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gemmell Family Scotland to Canada Help Please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 July 09 01:44 BST (UK) »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ OOPS! I missed that third "n" in PENNNELL!!

Maureen

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 July 09 01:51 BST (UK) »
Yes,it's on that census. Do a search for Janet F Gem*   . It should pop up OK.
 They're also listed on the incoming passengers as PENNELL-in case you're looking.

Hi Maureen,

Thanks for that - popped up immediately!  It seems my guess that James perhaps came over first may be right as from the census it says he emigrated in 1911 and the others in 1913 so if I could find a ship record for him that might tell me who was initially in Canada.  It seems that Ann, Mary and Margaret are elsewhere by this point though.

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:01 BST (UK) »
The passenger list is available at Ancestry so I'm not sure why it isn't at LAC. The family is listed as Pennnell (with 3 "n") in the index at Ancestry and when you see the actual image you will see that it does look like that.

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie,

Thanks again - I've found this record now.  Would there be naturalisation documents for them as there are for immigrants to the US? 

Regards

Michelle
Leonard/Lennon/Lennan (Lanarkshire, Ireland, Australia) Kelly (Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire) Campbell (Leith, Glasgow, New York, Australia) McMaster (Stirlingshire, Ireland) Cullen (Lanarkshire)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:04 BST (UK) »
There is a James Gemmell on the Athenia which arrived in Saint John on 14 Mar 1911. His final destination was listed as Glenella, Manitoba which is about 135 km from Brandon.

Regarding naturalization, they would already have been considered citizens. From LAC:
From 1763 until the Canadian Citizenship Act came into force on January 1, 1947, people born in Canada were all British subjects. Since immigrants born in Great Britain and the Commonwealth were already British subjects, they had no need to become naturalized or to obtain British citizenship in Canada.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

Thanks for the naturalisation information - I thought that might be the case.  I've found the James Gemmell record too now - it's pretty hard to read though!  Do you think it says his occupation is farming?  I also think it says payment is pending for his voyage but it's a bit confusing.  Thanks for the Glenella name - I was having a hard time working that out.  Do the records at LAC give more information than the ship manifests then?  Would there be one for James?  Thanks.

Regards

Michelle

Offline Flickgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:13 BST (UK) »
I think I've also found a border crossing record for James crossing from Canada into the US in 1923 - again it's blurry and very hard to read  :D  I do think it is lists mother Janet in Brandon as next of kin though which makes me think it must be him (I can't work out what he's going over the border for though!)

Regards

Michelle

Edit: In fact there are several border crossing records; it seems he visited the US several times.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:13 BST (UK) »
There is a Maggie F Gemmell (24, nurse) on the Saturnia which arrived in Saint John on 13 Mar 1912. Her destination was Franklin, Manitoba which is about 65 km from Brandon (almost halfway between Glenella and Brandon).

Regarding James, I believe the payment pending notation is in regardings to the British Bonus that would be paid to the agency that brought him over. Edited to add: Yes, I think it says farming for an occupation.

I can't seem to find Ann. Is it possible she married before emigrating?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:21 BST (UK) »
Michelle, there is a border crossing document from US to Canada for a James F Gemmell dated 3 May 1929. It indicates he was born in Stourton, Scotland (likely supposed to be Stewarton) and had been in Canada from 1911 to 1923. His occupation was bookkeeper. Bonus information... it refers to his closest relative in the UK being Mrs. A. McLaughlan, Beith, Ayrshire, Scotland. I took a look at ScotlandsPeople and there is a marriage for Annie Gemmell to Andrew McLachlan in Beith in 1913 (I didn't view the image).

Edited to add: The border crossing documents for James going to the US confirm that he was on the Athenia in 1911.

Jacquie 

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 13 July 09 02:26 BST (UK) »
Also at SP, there is a death for Annie McLachlan, other surname Gemmell, that was registered in Beith in 1974. Annie is listed as being 91. The registration can't be viewed so you would have to order the certificate to confirm it is her.

There is also a possible death for Andrew McLachlan in Beith in 1955. He was 73. That registration can be viewed at SP.

Jacquie