Author Topic: Robert Steel & Elizabeth McFaun  (Read 3688 times)

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Steel & Elizabeth McFaun
« on: Monday 13 July 09 00:36 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find if possible any  information about a Robert and  Elizabeth Steel ( McFaun ) both born in Scotland and emmigrated to Canada when ? and both died there.
Robert in 1940 Victoria BC and Elizabeth in 1903 Nanaimo BC.
I am wanting to know if they had any children at all?

Many Thanks
Regards
Annette. :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Steel & Elizabeth McFaun
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 09 01:37 BST (UK) »
There is a Mr. R. Steel(39) and wife (36) travelling to Victoria, BC on the
Scotsman out of Liverpool arriving Quebec & Montreal May 28, 1898.  His occupation is engineer

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=60733&highlight=47&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Robert+Steel
1901 census image

Debbie

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 04:13 BST (UK) »
Have you obtained the two death records? If not it might be helpful to get them to see if the informants might be a child. If you post the reference from the B.C. Vital Archives here http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-5E5FB88/gbsearch then I will get a copy of them from the local library.

John

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thank you so much for this.
I have the reg no for

Eilzabeth Steel 1903-09-047878,
Microfilm  1313085 ( GSU#1927113)

Robert A Steel 1940-09-578807
Microfilm B13169 ( GSU# 1953629)

I hope that this is what you need. Many thanks for this .
Much appreciated.
Regards
Annette. :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
Annette,

I picked up the two death records today but no help with informants. The 1903 death record does not say who the informant was but does say she was "wife of Steel Engineer on S.S. Joan". I would think S.S. Joan was one of the CPR ships that plied the coast of B.C. The informant on his record looks like a friend who did not know parents names, birthdate, or wife's name; only that he was a widower.

It appears he re-married in 1907 to Elizabeth Boswell in Victoria (I got that record too) but think she must have died prior to 1940 since he is a widower on his record. There is a 1938 death for Elizabeth Steel of the right age in Victoria. I didn't get that record yet since I didn't look it up in the index until after I got home.

If you would like these records, please send a P.M. with your email address.

John

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 09 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
Sorry that I did not answer your email, and I did look it up and found that info which I thank you very much for.

Cheers
 Annette  :-[

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 09 12:12 BST (UK) »
I think in 1911 they are listed (him and his second wife) under Steele.

1911 / British Columbia / Nanaimo / 1 Esquimalt / page 51
He is listed as b. Scotland, emigrated in 1898, occupation Marine Eng. (steamship)
second wife Elizabeth was also b. Scotland and came over in 1906.
A lodger in the house with them, no children.  As Elizabeth was 40 in this census it does not look likely to me that he had children.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 August 09 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Thank you for your reply. I have found the family and many thanks for your imput, much appreciated.
Regards
Annette ;D

Offline DaphneSS1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 June 17 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is Daphne (Stewart) Duggan, and Elizabeth Steele was my Great Grandmother 's sister. They are both buried in Ross Bay Cemetery and I visit the grave from time to time. Their Mother is also buried there.

I hope to hear from you; I don't know many from that side of the family.
, although I live in Victoria, British. Columbia

Regards, Daphne