Author Topic: James Roxburgh, Glasgow and Merseyside  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Roxburgh, Glasgow and Merseyside
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 July 18 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi to all looking for info on James Roxburgh, he was related to my father Gavin Slater I think he was a cousin. My paternal grandmother was Janet Slater need McKellar the McKellar family came from Campbelltown Argyll with some very interesting ancestors in Canada and the states I think  ::)
Do you have any dates, even approximate, for any of these people?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Diane Rose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
I'm not trying to waste your time my information comes from a headed letter written in Jim Roxburgh's own handwriting consoling my mother on the death of my father,  HIS cousin.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
No-one is doubting what you say, but if you are looking for help to find more information, an indication of the approximate time frame is fairly basic, especially when you must know when the letter was written and how old your father was when he died.

Have you looked on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for the marriage of your paternal grandparents? That seems to me to be the first step.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.