Author Topic: Cameron, Islandmagee  (Read 13237 times)

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron, Islandmagee
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 October 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
There was James Cameron, son of Thomas, son of William Cameron (my great grandfather) killed at Arnhem (Bridge Too Far) with the Parachute Regiment. His father had served with the Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War.

James Cameron, Pte 6982743, 21st Ind Parachute Coy (Pathfinders)
Died of Wounds in Hospital at Apeldoorn, and was originally buried in the Heidehof General Cemetery, later interred in the Arnhem Oosterbeek war cemetery.

Died 26th Sept 1944, aged 22.

Initially served with the Royal Iniskilkling Fusiliers, and volunteered for airborne duty in 1942.

He was shot in the fierce battles outside the houses no 6 - 8 Stationweg in Oosterbeek.  His Platoon Lt is still alive today, although not well at the moment.

You might want to have a look for a book called 'Leading the way to Arnhem'

ps. Do you have a photo of his Grave at Arnhem?

P

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 October 10 23:36 BST (UK) »
dear englandphil...very much appreciate your input. I have a photo of family members at the grave and some information about a young dutch girl who tended his grave. I would appreciate a photo of the grave. Thank you.
Self ... Conn, Brownlee, Cameron, Bates.
Wife ... Clegg, Niblock, Dunlop, Rowley.
Other ... Bremner, Lewis, McIlwrath, Cardy.

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 October 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
dear englandphil...very much appreciate your input. I have a photo of family members at the grave and some information about a young dutch girl who tended his grave. I would appreciate a photo of the grave. Thank you.

Conijoni, have a look at the following link.  there are a number of Photos of james Cameron and one of the original metal Cross marking hos grave in the book leading the way to Arnhem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fgdvcappellen/1965604423/sizes/o/in/set-72157603284084215/

After being wounded James Cameron was dragged into the the house at N06 Stationweg, by Sgt Gerry Thompson and Pte Harry Bruce.  Sgt Cameron was himself kiiled shortly after, and Harry Bruce, was a German refugee and one of the many German 'aliens' who heroically fougth with the 21st Independant Parachute battalion.

you might also be interested in adding some further details to the following

http://www.paradata.org.uk/people/james-cameron

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 October 10 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hello englandphil

Thanks for sharing the above sites....as well as being helpful for conijoni, I discovered one of my gran's brothers on the paradata In Memorium section, and shall organise for some details and picture to be added to same.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 October 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
thanks again, englandphil.

Offline Scrabohill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 October 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
conijoni, I have just read your post of 22 July.  I live in Comber, but was born in Belfast.  I have followed the line of Martha Cameron - Hill Wilson to the present day.
Regards, scrabohill

Offline alanagr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 October 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
re the chn. of William Cameron and Anne Jane McAuley...James lived with his mother Annie (see 1901 Census) and seems to have married in his early 60s to Isabella (see 1911 Census); Thomas McAuley Cameron m. Rosey Cameron and had four chn. - Ann, James, William (my ggf) and Thomas; Anne Jane Cameron m. James Lillie/Lilley (to Scotland); Martha m. Hill Wilson (scrabohill); and Margaret - have no info on Margaret.

re chn. of Thomas McAuley and Rosey Cameron...Ann b.1871 - have no info; James b.1873 m. Agnes -----? and by 1911 Census had five chn., four living - all daughters Elizabeth, Annie, Gretta and Florrie; William b.1876(my ggf) m. Margaret Finlay and had six chn., Thomas, Samuel, Elizabeth, Agnes Finlay, James Finlay, and Rose; Thomas b.1879 m. Catherine (Ross?) and had two (?) chn. Robert Ross and Annie. It looks as though Thomas died as Catherine has married Samuel Shanks (1911) and they have had two chn. Esther and Samuel.

Scrabohill - where do you live? Would like some info about your ancestors. I live in Ballyclare. Have you an Ards connection? My wife is from Ards.

My great-grandfather was James Cameron, son of Thomas and Rosey Cameron. One of his daughters Gretta was my grandmother. Please contact me conijoni for further info.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 October 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
good to hear from you both. will get back as soon as am able. very busy at present.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 31 October 10 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I am not very expert at family history so please excuse the question. How would you go about finding out who were the parents of William Cameron born c.1820 and Anne Jane McAuley born c.1820 and married c.1842?