Author Topic: John ANDERSON  (Read 16303 times)

Offline algynon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John ANDERSON
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 August 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
Just a quick note to everyone on this forum. I'm not sure if I've met any of you before and it's been a while since I've been involved in the family history.

Mrs John Anderson was my grandmother's own "Grandma Anderson" (through the Austerberry line). My Mum was born in 1949, but her older siblings all knew the Andersons of Junee well, and may be able to furnish you with some info if you have specific questions you'd like to ask.

Fred Austerberry was born in Oldham, Manchester, UK and married Emily Anne Lewis in 1884 before leaving for WA. Didn't seem to able to settle down, our Fred! There is a retired Reverend Austerberry in Shropshire who has researched this family back to viking times (!!) if you'd like his contact details.

Apart from that, we have a lot of info in our research on this branch of the family if you'd like to chat.

Allison.

Offline gemini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 August 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Allison.
Yep some info would be great please we really like to find answers. Does any of your  mum's older siblings  know John Anderson? and his parents who named on death certificate as John Anderson and Katherine Oliver? Are you referring to Annie (Elizabeth Anne Norris/Peelman) the mother of Christian, Grace and Tom? as your Grandma Anderson. Did Grandma Anderson aka Elizabeth/Annie/Norris/Peelman/Austerberry ever marry?  Does anyone have any photos of John Anderson? and where or how does John Anderson fit  in with Sir John Monash mention in Grace's death certificate?
To cut a long story short we have not found any details on John Anderson's parents, or any of the  marriages of John to Annie or Annie to Fred Austerberry.
thanks
Cole, Chapman, Palmer, Stenlake, Horn, Lillicrapp, Seccombe, Lindsay, Hatch, Landroth, Pettersson, Candler, Andersson, Bradford

Offline algynon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 August 10 09:50 BST (UK) »
Ok, this part of the family history is ridiculously convoluted, and its kinda difficult to explain, but I'll give you the best summary that I can for now:

Frederick Austerberry was born in Oldham, Manchester in 1862 to Daniel Samuel Austerberry and Sarah Harrop. He married Emily Ann Lewis there in 1884, then arrived in WA 21.6.1887 on YEOMAN, departed 10.9.1887 on LUSITANIA. Went to Sydney, then back to Melbourne where presumably he met Annie Peelman (step-daughter of Benoit Peelman) born Elizabeth Ann Norris, no father (Ballarat). The family were living in Footscray at this point I believe, although I need to go through my papers. Benoit was a Sawyer and Fred a Carter/Stablehand/Labourer, so perhaps he met the family through work? A lodger? We'll never know.

Fred went back to WA without Annie, who followed alone 25 June 1900 in the INIMICA to SA, then on to WA on SS FLINDERS. (An elopement?) I have a handwritten note (considerably old, author unknown) that states Annie and Fred "married 1890 Melbourne Vic, 18 Jan". The union seems to have been disapproved of. I have unfortunately inherited many old notes from previous researchers and this one is not signed, although the handwriting suggests someone born earlier in the last century, so possibly someone with first hand knowledge of the family?

They moved around a lot, with Dorothy/Annie (known as Dolly) born Karridale, WA in 1892, Millie at Launching Place, Gippsland VIC 1893, and Nellie 1895 in Echuca. Many of the Norris women ended up in Echuca at least once, usually when they were in a bad way as they had a wealthy female relative in the area (Mrs Mary Fasham nee Norris), so one could possibly speculate that Fred had already left Annie at this point and she needed family support (although that will only ever be wild speculation of course).

Fred disappears from this point - I don't believe that he is the one who marries Frances Hodges back in WA, as that Fred is the son of Joseph Austerberry, who is one of our Fred's cousins (Joseph came out to Australia with two brothers about the same time as our Fred). While we have no real clue what happened to him, His poor first (and possibly only legal) wife Emily Ann remarried in 1903 back in Oldham as a 'widow', so perhaps as his legal spouse she received the notice of his death? Wherever it was...

Previous researchers in 1984 received "no result" notifications from Victorian archives for two searches: the marriage of Frederick Austerberry to Elizabeth Ann Peelman between 1/1/1888-31/12/1892, and death of Frederick Austerberry 1/1/1896-31/12/1900, but that doesn't really help (she's a Norris on her birth certificate, he could have died anywhere...)

Which brings us to John Anderson (phew!). In terms of family details I'll have to get in touch with older relatives, but the information I have is that he married twice, once to a Kathleen (no surname given), and once to Eliza Ann. This is from a full transcript of his death certificate, which it looks like you guys have already. I have yet another unconfirmable note from an elderly contributor which states that they were married 1900 in Melbourne, but again I have no certification of it and haven't been able to find any. I do know that the Anderson's ran Anderson' Garage for decades on the old town square at Junee (until at least 1995), I think its gone now though.

So, to summarise: Fred Austerberry probably never married Annie. Annie may also have never married John Anderson - maybe she did believe (or led others to believe for her own reputation's sake) that she was still legally married to Fred, and was not free to marry John? I do remember her being described as 'formidable' by one of my aunts, and got the distinct impression that she wasn't a woman to be gainsayed...:)

I'll get in touch with rellies and see if they remember anything about the Andersons, in the meantime you could always be really cheeky - there's still a couple of Andersons in Junee, maybe give them a call?

This is only a small part of the ridiculous tale of the women genealogists on our side of the family generally refer to as the 'bl**dy Norrises'! Dolly Austerberry for example married her own aunt Norris' grandson (!!), but that's another story for another day!

I have to head out for dinner now, but will update you if any more Anderson-related info can be found.

Allison.

Offline gemini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 August 10 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison
Thanks that would be great :) ;D :D, yep we've tried but they not very forthcoming there is only the son of Thomas in Junee now and he doesn't know much :-[ >:( :(.
Cole, Chapman, Palmer, Stenlake, Horn, Lillicrapp, Seccombe, Lindsay, Hatch, Landroth, Pettersson, Candler, Andersson, Bradford

Offline algynon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 03:44 BST (UK) »
I've put a couple of feelers out, we'll see how we go. My eldest aunt was 13 when John died, and 23 when Annie died, but unfortunately both she and her husband are in quite bad health so I have contacted someone else in the family first.

I've also asked a family history researcher from Dad's side - even though she won't have anything on the Andersons she's lived in Junee her whole life and has been working on her tree for decades, and will know anyone who knows anything (if that makes sense?) The 'old' families of Junee share a lot of common heritage, and still tend to know each other pretty well.

Our rellies are still pretty thick on the ground in those parts, so if someone has more info I'm sure we'll hear eventually.

Offline gemini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison
That would be fab  ;D 8) :) will await your reply
feel free to ask for any info i may have  ;D

Offline Sssence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John ANDERSON and Peelman
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 January 11 15:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi Folks

Had fun reading your posts!

I am helping a friend doing her family research.

She is the granddaughter of Mary Ellen/Eleanor Peelman daughter of
Edgar Benoit Leopold Peelman and Elizabeth Norris.

So, any help you can give on the Peelman family or on Elizabeth Norris
would be welcome please.

I have not as yet found Elizabeth Norris death ?

Thanks Susan

Offline algynon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 March 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I don't have much on Benoit Peelman to hand, but I remember he was living in Footscray and working as a Sawyer when he was naturalised (check National Archives in Canberra online? I think that's where I saw it years ago) His name suggests he is of Belgian extraction. There was a family story somewhere that he 'jumped ship' as a sailor i.e. never officially immigrated to Australia, hence limited records...see if you can track down a man called Leigh Copeland online, he lives in Melbourne and owns original correspondence btwn Elizabeth and Benoit from when Benoit was travelling for work - I've lost his contact details!

Good luck,
Allison.

Offline gemini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
Back to John Anderson -Has anybody ever found out who john anderson parents are and where he was actually born he died 1943 drowned at the berembed weir and buried at naranderra nsw. Was he the said father of Christian Anderson born 1903-1907 annie norris/peelman the mother in melbourne.