Author Topic: anderson  (Read 26503 times)

Offline gemini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
anderson
« on: Monday 20 July 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the children of Rev Samuel Anderson Vicar of Upper Fals,
Ireland and Elizabeth Foley daughter of Nelson Foley of Ballygally Ireland and if any of them came to Australia
regards Maggie
Cole, Chapman, Palmer, Stenlake, Horn, Lillicrapp, Seccombe, Lindsay, Hatch, Landroth, Pettersson, Candler, Andersson, Bradford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: anderson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 09 16:01 BST (UK) »
Have moved your post from Ireland- Resources board to Ireland-General but it would help if you could provide more details like dates and more exact places (there is more than one Ballygally in Ireland as well as several Ballygawleys, etc.). "Rev. Samuel Anderson Vicar of Upper Fals"- vicar refers to Church of Ireland clergyman but is "Upper Fals" the name of a church? place? there's a Falls Road in Belfast but until we have more details from you there's no point in speculating and giving you information which doesn't apply to this family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 09 16:10 BST (UK) »
The Church of Ireland Parish of Upper Falls was created out of St George's Parish in Belfast in 1859 and St John the Baptist's on the Stewartstown Road consecrated as the Parish church in 1861.  Rev Samuel Anderson was Vicar from 1860 to 1886. 

You could contact the current Vicar, Rev Trevor Cleland, to determine where the records from that period are stored.

Offline gemini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
 Does anyone know the siblings of Joshua Anderson who was born 14 February 1865, at
Springbank, Dunmurry, Co Antrim, Ireland, the third child and second son of the 7 children of the
Reverend Samuel Anderson, Vicar of Upper Fals, Ireland. His mother was the daughter of Nelson
Foley of Ballygally, sometime High Sheriff of Waterford. I know he had two brothers Henry and John Gilman Anderson and a sister Alice who was the eldest daughter but who are the rest of the children. John Gilman Anderson died in New Zealand. Did Samuel have a brother with a son named John?
regards Maggie
Cole, Chapman, Palmer, Stenlake, Horn, Lillicrapp, Seccombe, Lindsay, Hatch, Landroth, Pettersson, Candler, Andersson, Bradford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 13:17 BST (UK) »
John Gilman Anderson born 22 Nov.1868 Co. Antrim according to IGI (www.familysearch.org).
Civil registration of births started in 1864 and if Joshua (born 1865) was the 3rd child it's possible the 2 eldest were born before registration began so you'll need to see if church records exist.
As akanex2 suggested, you could contact the current Vicar of Upper Falls Parish and ask what records are available and how they can be accessed.
PRONI have a Will Extract for Rev. Samuel Anderson and it's possible that his Will would have mentioned surviving children: "The Will of the Reverend Samuel Anderson late of the Glebe Dunmurry County Antrim who died 14 August 1886 at same place was proved at Belfast by Elizabeth Anderson of the Glebe Dunmurry Widow the sole Executrix." (www.proni.gov.uk)
The actual Will no longer exists but the wording should have been copied into a Will Book which PRONI should have on microfilm.
Not 100% sure but this could be Will of Samuel's widow: "Probate of the Will of Elizabeth Anderson late of Cloncolmec Dunmurry County Antrim Widow who died 7 January 1903 granted at Belfast to Letitia E. Anderson Spinster."

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Williamk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 01:00 BST (UK) »
Maggie, My home is Ballygally House, the Ancestrol home of the Foleys. Yes one of Nelson Trafalgar's Daughters was married to an Anderson. The Foleys's lived at our House till we believe about 1923. Eventhough it was know as Foleys then, I think it was occupied by a Mrs Gerrard and a Mrs Anderson, both Daughters of Nelson Foley. A lot of them went to the US, but I believe some certainly found their way to New Zealand also.

Nelson Trafalgar had a son Nelson also, and he married Ida Doyle the Sister of Arthur Conan Doyle the famous Author of "Sherlock Holmes" Nelson would be a brother to Elizabeth Foley that you mention. The Foleys were 2nd Cousins of Arthur Conan Doyle and his siblings as Conan Doyle's Mother was a Mary Foley, a half Sister of Nelson Trafalgar I believe, as his Father married three times. So the Andersons are related to this famous Author.

I have a huge amount of documents, and will go through it for you if you wish, I am snot sure how much mentions the Anderrsons. I do know that a letter from one of the Foleys in Canada to a person living near Ballygally enquires as to the wellbeing of Mrs Gerrard and "Dear" Mrs Anderson. Taht was in the mid 50's from one of the Foley's Granddaughters who had visited Ballygally as a child and now wished to visit it in her early forties.  Regards, William

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
found this,don't know if this is the same joshua.

BIRTH. CLAIRE GERALDINE HENRY ANDERSON 11-9-1904. DUNEDEN, NEW ZEALAND

PARENTS.
JOSHUA THOMAS NOBLE ANDERSON.  ELLEN MARY WHITE-SPUNNER.

regards mary.

doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Peto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 05:31 BST (UK) »
I am part of the Samual Anderson family that came to Australia. My Mother was Claire geraldine Henry Anderson, her father was Joshua Thomas Noble Anderson, her mother Ellen mary White-Spunner. Mum was the 2nd yougest of 6 children, they were Stewart, then Frances, Alice, Katrine, Claire, Joan. I have all there info if you need it.  Peto

Offline gemini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Peto
Thank you for replying, can i ask you some question on here or through your email address?