Author Topic: Stewart GUTHRIE of Borgue  (Read 8972 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart GUTHRIE of Borgue
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
I've just found the Stewart Guthrie that Mariac found on a family tree on A*try. It seems to be sourced. She married a James Campbell and a James Mair. Died 1904, Brechin.

Strangley Freecen in 1841 records her as a male, living with Catherine Grant, his/her mother. However, the original census page has her age in the female column so I think that the Angus one is definitely not yours.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 12:19 BST (UK) »
What is interesting is that I've found the death of Stewart's possible brother, William (bpt 1817, Borgue) in 1901 in Kirkcudbright. He was also a joiner and parents as stated in previous posting - James Guthrie, a shepherd, and Mary McDowall.

In the 1841 there are three (possibly brothers) in Ayr in the household of James Grant (and family):

Newton on Ayr
612  ED 5 page 9

Guthrie

Alexander, 25, labourer
William, 24, J(ourneyman) Cabinet M(aker)
Charles, 20, J(ourneyman) Cabinet M(aker)

All listed as born Ayrshire.
I can't find William or Stewart b. Kirkcudbrightshire or Scotland in the 1841.

Added - scrap these - i've found both Williams on the 1851
:(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
Found Stewart in the 1841 in the household of Samuel Haining:

Aliceford, Borgue
858  Ed  2 p 5
Stewart Guthry, 20, joiner's apprentice, b. Kirkcudbrightshire

No sign of parents either on the census, in the MIs or in the burials/deaths  :(

Gadget

Offline Splashie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
Sorry I've been away for 24 hours, not anticipating there would be such a rsponse so immediately - I'm a bit overwhelmed and can't thank you enough. ! I had discounted the Stewart Guthrie's born in Angus as too far as well. 

All of the children you have listed check out with my list Gadget - I found a Margaret GREGG on the IGI which might be her:

Margaret GREGG b. 13 Feb 1823 Loudon Ayr
Parents: Andrew GREGG b. 2 Mar 1794 Loudon Ayr d. 23 Aug 1832
               Agnes BROWN  b. 1800/01 Newmilns, Ayr
                                        m 25 Apr 1818
               Second marriage Hugh McMILLAN 21 Jul 1838 at Loudon Ayr

Andrews Parents:  James GREGG  b. ?  buried 23 Aug 1832 Loudon Ayr
                               Mary MAIR  b Loudon Ayr (Parents Thomas MAIR, Susanna WILSON)
And there is that MAIR name  associated with the Angus Stewart GUTHRIE.

These names don't really fit with Stewart and Margaret's childrens names do they - and on the 1851 Census you found Gadget, that Margaret has her birthplace as Port Glasgow.

Just to confuse the issue with names, their son Stewart GUTHRIE b. 16 May 1854 Dalmellington  m. Catherine WATT, who emigrated to NZ named his children (in order)
Margaret, David, Jessie, Alexander, John, lastly an Unamed Stillborn son.All the surviving children had the middle name Watt.

His brother James GUTHRIE b. Dalmellington 27 Sep 1846 m. Mary BRYDEN, had the following in order - Stewart, Robert, Thomas Alexander, James, William, Sarah McMurdo, John Hugh, George Bryden, and Gordon.

Thanks for the info on possible parentage in Borgue - and brother William - grand idea to look for other family in the same area........I'll give it a further go with those names, many thanks.

Splashie
Dailly Ayrshire: Bowman, Lamb, Ross, McGarva,Darroch,Carruther, Muirhead, Morrison
New Monkland Lanarkshire: Russell, Gardner
Kettle Fifeshire: Forrester, Dewar
Toxteth West Derby Liverpool:Moore,Godfrey,McDonald

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 11:59 BST (UK) »
These names don't really fit with Stewart and Margaret's childrens names do they - and on the 1851 Census you found Gadget, that Margaret has her birthplace as Port Glasgow.

I think the Port Glasgow birthplace was a one off as she is b. Dalmellington on all the other censuses. her father was a sailor (Capt MS on the death cert) so Port Glasgow might have been where she was actually born.

I don't think that the 1823 Margaret is yours as the death cert states her father as James.

Gadget

Offline natasham

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, I've just found this site as I too am looking to progress further with this particular Guthrie--who would be my 3x great grandfather.
The only possible explanation that I could come up with as to why there could be no trace  of him, is that Stewart was not his given name at birth. Following the 1941 census for Stewart, in Kirkcudbrightshire,  the only birth that I could find was of a James Guthrie, Father Alexander Guthrie and Catherine Wilson. Other children, Grace, 1817; Andrew,1819, James, 1821 and Agnes 1825. There seems to be no marriage record for Catherine and Alexander and I have had no luck finding death Certs for them.
There is also no record for Alexander Guthrie (son of Stewart and Margaret and they were married in 1845 and Alexander was born in 1843--also no death cert can be found).
This is where it gets even more complicated. I have an oral history from my father and nan that we were supposed to get an inheritance from an aunt, something to do with mines but the family were not interested. Now this was in the early 80's that I had heard this.  I'm wondering if Stewart/James was illegitimate. I say this as there is an Alexander Guthrie who married a Christina Marshall  in Kilmarnock, they are in 1841 census and he is 55 she is 30. This Alexander seems to fit in with the idea of coal mines. When he died abt 1857 he left his estate to his only surviving  child Christina.
I also found a birth cert for Margaret, born in Dalmellington.
Anyway, I'm probably making connections where there are none, but it does seem possible, especially with the oral history I was given.
I know this is an extremely late reply :)
Natasha