Author Topic: bucklebury  (Read 42472 times)

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bucklebury
« on: Tuesday 21 July 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
This picture was in the effect of my husbands grandfather George Ernest Fisher who had links to the Morton and Sellwood families.
Can any one help to identify people in the picture.
Sally Harris

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: bucklebury
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 09 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally,
I cannot tell you these people's name...
But I am a distant relative of the Sellwood family from Bucklebury. This is an extract from my tree.

John Sellwood, b. 1809
+ Sarah Fisher, m. 12 Jun 1833 at BKS: Bucklebury, d. 22 Mar 1885 at BKS: Bucklebury
├── Edwin Sellwood, bap. 29 Sep 1833 at BKS: Thatcham
├── George Sellwood, bap. 18 Jan 1836 at  BKS: Thatcham
├── Maria Sellwood,
└── Charlotte Sellwood

and John's sister Caroline....

Caroline Sellwood, b. 23 Mar 1816 at BKS: Bucklebury, d. 23 Jul 1899 at BKS: Bucklebury
+ Charles Kimber, m. 2 Aug 1841 at BKS: Thatcham

and their first cousin Hannah married there & had a child baptised there in the early 1800's

I know that Sarah is buried at Bucklebury under a large tree with an headstone.

How does the Fisher family have links to the Sellwood family?

Matt

Added - right after i posted that I realised that that John Sellwood married Sarah FISHER which is probably the link
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Sellwood -Fisher Links.
James Selwood m Dinah Pennington Tidbury.
daughter hannah b 1805 M Edward Fisher born c1805/08-Have yet to find a record to show Edwards parents.
my husbands line is from Edward and Hannahs son George b1845 m Selina Morton.  George and Selina lived at the Slade Bucklebury in Ivy Cottage.
The Selwoods are also linked to Selina in that she had an Aunt Mercy Morton who married a John Selwood. I did work out on family search that hannah and John both linked back to Stephen Selwood
who married Elizabeth Chapman in 1725.
George Ernest Fisher -son of George and Selina was my husbands grand father and the picture came from a collection of his.

I think at least one of the ladies is a Selwood wife. In a letter Selina wrote to her sons Georges wife not dated but after 1903 about Mrs Selwood coming round in the pony cart to take her out.

Do you think there might be a connection between Edward Fisher and Sarah.
Sally Harris

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 09 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally,

I am pretty sure that Edward Fisher who married Hannah Sellwood was a relation of Sarah Fisher who married John, Hannah's brother.

James (who married Dianna Pennington Tidbury) had a brother John but he must have died in childhood.

Stephen Sellwood who married Elizabeth Chapman had three children - James, Stephen & William. William is my g x6 grandfather. I am off to the Berkshire Record Office next week & will confirm a marriage at Thatcham between Stephen & Elizabeth & the baptisms of their children at Thatcham or Chieveley.

I think the photo must be Edwardian era due to the hats & skirts (between about 1901-1912 I'd say but I'm no expert). As you say one of the ladies might be a Mrs Sellwood - could it be the wife of George Sellwood (b 1836) or the wife of Edwin (1833) or the wife of one of their children?

Matt

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 August 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
apparently a son of  your William  m Jane harding  had a son Johnathon m Frances Tidbury . Their son John married Mercy Morton.
Sally Harris

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 August 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
I did some more digging & it turns out that Hannah & John had a brother, Joseph, born in 1815, who married on 13 Apr 1838 at Bucklebury to Martha FISHER. They had many children & one was called Mercy.

When at the Berkshire Record Office I will get a copy of this marriage certificate & scan it in for you.

Matt

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 09 18:28 BST (UK) »
Some more digging, found out that Joseph & Hannah & John had a brother DAVID born in 1821, who married CHARLOTTE FISHER in 1845 at Bucklebury (maybe). I will find this one too & send on a copy.

Matt

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
Copas Farm between Cookham and Maidenhead. .... Fisher/Copas rings a bell.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 August 09 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I should be grateful for any details Matt can pick up at the record office . If you should see a record for Hannah Selwood and Edward Fisher could you Please check if it has got a note of parentage.
To Lesanne- I shall have to lok into the Copas -Fisher side of things . I just assumed that Copas was the cart maker they had bought the trap from-or perhaps just rented out!
Sally Harris