Author Topic: bucklebury  (Read 42471 times)

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: bucklebury
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 13:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry Victoria must be another John Fisher and annWoodley-have now located a marriage for John and anne Woodley 19/11/1803 at Thatcham. However on Family search igi if you just fill in parents names and place name their is a list of 10 children from 1830-1849 fro John and AnnWoodley.
Sally

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Haven't found Edward's baptism yet but will do tomorrow.

Re: Marriages at Bucklebury - you will have copies tomorrow, a woman hogged the machine when I needed to use it.

Not many Sellwood baptisms at Bucklebury, I must say. They had odd baptism patterns.. The eldest were baptised, the youngest weren't... odd children were just not baptised etc...

Attached Is a Christening Certificate from Speen. It is twin children of Stephen (son of Jonathan) Sellwood & his wife Mary Ann Smallbone. As you can see it says on it 'See Memorandum on the Back Hereof'... and there is writing leaking through the back.. so I want to look at the Speen Registers to see what is written on the back.

Matt

Ps my apologies for the coloring of the attached document... didn't come out too well.
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
Matt my thanks for the document.I'm sending you apicture of a sellwood wedding that was among grandad fishers photos.
The Mother of the bride is Mercy(Morton)sellwood-the father of the bride is John Sellwood son of Jonathon. However I don't know which of Mercy's daughters is the bride and whether the gentleman in the picture is the bride or grooms father.
The grooms pipe is a nice touch .
Sally

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Sally, what children do you have for John Sellwood & Mercy Morton? I have children Peter, Lydia and Joshua. Am I looking at the wrong family ???

Matt

Added - I hope you don't mind, Sally, I have posted this photograph to the dating board to see if anyone knows the rough date of it.
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 23:59 BST (UK) »
Matt,
I'm quite happy for you to get the picture dated.
Two people haveshared a tree with me.and I've gleaned what I can from both but have not checked the details.
John Sellwood m Mercy Morton in 1844 appaently he was a master cordwainer and lived in Peasemore he died in 1860
Children
Peter m S Rowles 1872
Lydia m William Cumner @Newbury Q2 1868/ m Charles FGibbs 1879
Joshua m Alice Hickson /m Anna Golding
Mercy m Tom CogswellQ1 1880@greenwich
Mark
John m Ellen Butler or Ellen Butcher the trees differ on this name
Mary

Both trees give the same names for the children.
I have based my assumption that the Lady is Mercy Morton Sewood on a picture I have of her when she was older.
Sally

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 01:35 BST (UK) »
These photos don't make sense in light of my understanding of the information given. Aunt Mercy's studio shot is 1880ish, the wedding is 1900ish.  I can't see how this Mercy could be the mother of the bride, grandmother perhaps?
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry Victoria must be another John Fisher and annWoodley-have now located a marriage for John and anne Woodley 19/11/1803 at Thatcham. However on Family search igi if you just fill in parents names and place name their is a list of 10 children from 1830-1849 fro John and AnnWoodley.
Sally

Hello Sally,

There *were* two John and Ann Fishers, and I think the IGI submitter has them confused. The baptisms on IGI for children  starting in Thatcham in 1830 to 1849 are all submitted ones. Those for Bucklebury are collected ones, as is one for Thomas Fisher 1804 Thatcham.

What I have is John Fisher bap 1779 died 1843 married Ann Woodley 1803 Thatcham (PRs). She died 1837 Bucklebury age 54 making a birth date abt 1783. If she was the woman giving birth to children in Thatcham in 1849 she would have been 66 years old!  With a marriage in 1803 it is also highly unlikely (although possible) that a woman would be still  having children in 1830 but certainly not in 1849.
I think, but have yet to prove that she was the Ann Woodley bap Bradfield 1786.

In 1841 John Fisher age 60 is in Bucklebury with a new wife? Ann age 45 (no marriage found so could be a relation) and dau Eliza age 30  next entry to John Hope 45 John Sellwood age 20 and Sarah Johnson age 30. Next door to that is Henry and Maria Hope. Maria is John Fisher's daughter, Henry is probably John Hope's son. John Fisher's dau Eliza had an illeg son, Robert, who throughout the censuses from 1841 to 1891 is living with John Hope and Maria, as is Eliza, as sister in law  in 1851.
John Hope was witness at his sister-in-law Martha's marriage to Joseph Sellwood.
David Sellwood age 20 who married Charlotte Fisher is working for Robert Tidbury
The other John Sellwood age 30 who married Sarah Fisher in 1833 is just up the road with her and their family. Next entry Charlotte Fisher age 15 who appears to be a lodger or servant.

The John and Ann Fisher with the children from the submitted Thatcham baptisms is in Thatcham in 1851. He is age 56,born Thatcham she is age 46 born Newbury. This Ann would only just have been born in 1804. She would not have been having children in 1811 and neither would have John Fisher born abt 1795 .

I think this illustrates why one should not take submitted IGI's as fact until proven with other documents.
I have not found another Ann Woodley born abt 1804 anywhere, so I do not think this was the 2nd Ann's surname.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 09:48 BST (UK) »
Attached Is a Christening Certificate from Speen. It is twin children of Stephen (son of Jonathan) Sellwood & his wife Mary Ann Smallbone. As you can see it says on it 'See Memorandum on the Back Hereof'... and there is writing leaking through the back.. so I want to look at the Speen Registers to see what is written on the back.

Matt

Ps my apologies for the coloring of the attached document... didn't come out too well.
Hi Matt
Sarah died and was buried  in Sept 1849 so that is possibly what it says. Be interesting to see anyway. Might give some clues for something else
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Matt,
I'm quite happy for you to get the picture dated.
Two people haveshared a tree with me.and I've gleaned what I can from both but have not checked the details.
John Sellwood m Mercy Morton in 1844 appaently he was a master cordwainer and lived in Peasemore he died in 1860
Children
Peter m S Rowles 1872
Lydia m William Cumner @Newbury Q2 1868/ m Charles FGibbs 1879
Joshua m Alice Hickson /m Anna Golding
Mercy m Tom CogswellQ1 1880@greenwich
Mark
John m Ellen Butler or Ellen Butcher the trees differ on this name
Mary

Both trees give the same names for the children.
I have based my assumption that the Lady is Mercy Morton Sewood on a picture I have of her when she was older.
Sally

Hi Sally,
John Sellwood marr Ellen Butler in 1889. She was  dau of Benjamin and Hannah nee Streatley. Ellen's brother, Joseph, was one of the witnesses.

Vicwinann