Author Topic: bucklebury  (Read 42469 times)

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: bucklebury
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 August 09 16:20 BST (UK) »
Sally - what I will do is get a copy of the parish register where unions between the Sellwood family and the Fisher family exist & send on copies to you via email or Rootschat; whichever you prefer.

Have you seen this record, Sally, from the IGI?

Edward FisherEvent(s):
 Birth:  12 FEB 1808   Buckleburry, , Berkshire, England
 Death:  04 JAN 1850   , , England

Marriages:
  Spouse:  Hannah Sellwood 

--

I think with the Sellwood family, I have been quite lucky. They seem to be well documented by the Mormons.

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Sally and Matt and Lesanne,
Sally, I can't help with the photo but I will look thru some of the very few that I have and see if I can spot anything.

I have not found a baptism for Edward Fisher 1808 because I don't have direct access to Bucklebury PRs. However, I tend to half agree with Matt that Edward is brother of Sarah Fisher 1814 dau of John Fisher and Ann nee Woodley who married John Sellwood. ie 4 siblings marrying 4 siblings.
According to the Berks FHS burial Index  Edward Fisher was buried in Jan 1851, not 1850 as per the IGI death.
 James Sellwood (who married Diana Tidbury) did have a brother John and he died in 1782.
There was no marriage in Thatcham of Stephen Sellwood and Elizabeth Chapman. They married in Little Bedwyn, Wilts according to the pedigree held by and information at  Christs Hospital. I think you may have seen it, Sally. Perhaps before we were first in touch way back in 2003.
The Stephen who marr Elizabeth Chapman was the grandfather of James who married Diana.

Yes, Sally, Jonathan Sellwood, son of William and Jane nee Harding did have a son, John,  who married Mercy Morton.

Matt, if you had asked I could have sent you a copy of Joseph 1815's marriage cert of 1838. Dau Mercy married John Lake.
You are actually going over a lot of the ground that I have already covered and proven and wasting a lot of your money. However, being cheeky, I don't have a copy of David Sellwood's first marriage to Charlotte Fisher, Sarah Fisher's sister, so I would be grateful for a copy if you get one. David Sellwood was christened 1819, not 1821. He married twice.

Yes, Matt, some of the Sellwoods were Mormons but a great many of the IGI submitted Sellwood records are very, very, wrong. I have other documents that prove this to be so, so don't trust any other than collected ones or those at the RO.

Lesanne, at least one of the Sellwoods worked for the Copas because he won a ploughing competition and my particular scion had children in Cookham.
Thank you for that. I, too will go back thru my research and try to follow it up again re the Fishers. The Fishers intermarried at other times during the 19th century with Sellwoods, Mortons, and several other Bucklebury families who eventually moved elsewhere.

Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 08:36 BST (UK) »
Vicki - I think marriage certificates from the Record Office at 40p each are worth it even if all we gain from them is the certificates... 40p is no skin off my nose...

Also I don't know when all these children of James & Dianna were baptised so am having a look at that today at the BRO just to make sure, so they are definately those children of James & Dianna.

I think David married for the second time at Chieveley(?) Where he was living in 1871. If he did I will get a copy (even if it's just for the signatures  ;) ) and send it on...

Vicki - did he marry Jane Marcham in 1868 at Newbury Dist? If so... son & Dau Sarah & Caleb were already born before they married...

I'll put the baptism of Edward Fisher on my list...

Matt

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 08:43 BST (UK) »
Actually.... looking at the 1871.. there are a few discrepancies...

New Inn, Chieveley, Berkshire
David Selwood, Head, Married, 51, Publican, Born Berkshire, Chieveley
Jane Selwood, Wife, Married, 37, Publican's Wife, Born Berkshire, Thatcham
Caleb Selwood, Son, Single, 9, Scholar, Born Berkshire, Thatcham
Sarah Selwood, Dau, Single, 8, Scholar, Born Oxon, Goring

Hmm....

Matt

Added

On the 1881... Caleb is a boarder... Living Greenham St, Greenham

RIVERS, Henry Head Married M 62  1819 Moulder (Iron) Hamstead Norris Berkshire   
RIVERS, Harriett Wife Married F 68  1813 Wife Woodspeen Berkshire   
RIVERS, George Granson Single M 4  1877 Scholar Greenham Berkshire   
SELLWOOD, Caleb Boarder Single M 19  1862 Carpenter Bucklebury Berkshire

Matt

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 09:53 BST (UK) »
Caleb in 1891...

Living 1, Paradise cottage, Paradise Place, Richmond
BOND, Joseph Head Married M 52  1839 Railway Servant  Richmond Surrey
BOND, Annie Wife Married F 36  1855  Brewood Staffordshire
BOND, Joseph H Son  M 7  1884  Richmond Surrey
BOND, Gertrude E Daughter  F 1  1890 Richmond Surrey
SELWOOD, Caleb Boarder Single M 29 1862 Carpenter Bucklebury Berkshire

In 1901 I can't find him, but in 1911...

3, Berkeley Cotts, Speenhamland
DAVIS, ELIZABETH HEAD WIDOW  F 79  STOCKCROSS BERKS     
SELLWOOD, CALEB BOARDER SINGLE  M 47 CARPENTER HANDY MAN BUCKLEBURY BERKS   

Caleb died in 1914.

Deaths Sep 1914
Sellwood  Caleb  52  Newbury  2c 279

And was buried on 23 July 1914 at Newbury Newtown Road Cemetery, aged 52, having died at the Newbury Workhouse Infirmary.

Matt

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 10:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, Matt,
David Sellwood marr Jane Marcham in 1868 Newbury Reg Dist. She was the widow of James Marcham and already had a dau Sarah Marcham born and bap 1862 Goring. Sarah adopted David Sellwood's surname on the 1871 census. Jane Marcham's maiden name was Franklin.
Another dau of Jane Franklin and James Marcham was Eliza Mary 1861 who was living with her grandfather in 1871. James Marcham died in 1865.
When David Sellwood died in 1878, Jane Franklin/Marcham/Sellwood married for a third time to John Portlock and is with him in 1881.

David Sellwood with his first wife, Charlotte Fisher had 3 children that I have found before Charlotte died in 1866. Charles 1846 who marr Ellen Whale, Hannah 1856-1869. and Caleb 1862-1914. Yes, Caleb is unmarried in 1881 living as a boarder in Greenham with who I think is a relative but haven't yet proved. So there is no descepancy.
Just lots of happenings between censuses.

Now, if you can find Jane Franklin's grandmother's birthplace/date, that would be really something. She was Hannah Sellwood who marr to Anthony Franklin 1751- 1825 in Frilsham in 1779 and had children in Thatcham.  I feel sure that Hannah is sister or close relative to Thomas Sellwood abt 1726-1809 Bucklebury marr to Mary Goddard in 1751 Bucklebury. Thomas's is a line that I cannot find a direct connection to our Sellwoods of Bucklebury and Chieveley. I am sure that it is there somewhere.
Yours
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
Oh right... I though Caleb was born out of marriage... Thanks for the information.

So Hannah Sellwood who married Anthony would be in Frilsham or Chieveley or Thatcham? I am going in today and tomorrow so have plenty of time for searches...

Tomorrow I am looking at apprenticeship Indentures of Reuben Thomas Smith & Charles Hope, Vicki... and hopefully a Tithe Map of Basildon Parish: I hope to find out where Henry & Lucy lived...

Matt

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
Born Frilsham/Bucklebury/Thatcham! I don't know. Any more than I do Thomas Sellwood. That has been the problem. Don't spend all your time looking, please.
Vic

Offline sally harris

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
victoria,
I have found a john fisher and Ann Woodley with 10 children listed born between 1830 and1849 this would makw John and Sarah more likely to be Sarah's brother rather than his daughter
Sally