Author Topic: Parry (Coopers) Llanidloes/Newtown/Welshpool  (Read 9666 times)

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parry (Coopers) Llanidloes/Newtown/Welshpool
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 August 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
It's always worth asking people who've been round the area for generations and your neighbour sounds likely and the people in the antique shop too.  They should be interested in local history if they're into antiques.  Maybe George was a son of Charles.  I suppose one has to think in terms of some of the older ones having lost their lives in the two world wars.  My own father was shot and blinded in WW1.

I still have a subscription with Ancestry although I was going to cancel.  My original email people suddenly stopped my email address and said it wasn't used or out of date or something stupid.  Although it's good that a few people now can't get in touch with me, I need my old email address to get in touch with Ancestry to change it.  How daft is that?  I just don't get round to these things and it probably just means a phone call.  It was all too difficult to get my original email reinstated and my 'little man' who fixes any computer problems just won't do it. 

I seemed to get bored rather easily with any other bits of my family on my mother's side.  My grandfather Parry married a lady from Shifnal, which you'd probably know quite well, but, although I contacted a distant relation there, she hasn't continued with any emails back to me.  She even promised she'd send over some photos but didn't.  I did manage to find out what had happened to my father's brother who'd moved to Lowestoft.  When I found his son, he didn't want to know.  Sounded rather a bitter man but I only had any contact through his ex-wife.  His feeling was, what had happened to the 'family' when he needed them.  Well, I could have said the same when my mother died and her brother (who was Dad's business partner) all within five weeks leaving my blind father on his own (I was 9).  It wasn't my fault so why take it out on me and contact had been lost years beforehand.  I suppose we just have to face these disappointments and not everyone is interested in this family tree thing.  With each new "Who Do You Think You Are" I hope the Parry connection will suddenly take an interest particularly as some of them moved away.

With such common surnames, it's easy to make mistakes and I matched myself to a Parry family who'd originated in Shropshire, went to Birmingham, became Mormons (or Latter Day Saints) and moved to Utah at the beginning of the 20th century.  It was quite a while before I found I'd boobed but the 'cousin' I've been in touch with for two years wasn't bothered and we still email all the time.  I thought her family were from Worthington (on the census) although I can't find a place of that name.  I just remember there was a Richard and a Clarence who were in Birmingham.  I wondered if it was Worthen but don't really know the lie of the land.  The people who filled in the census forms made errors and there are plenty of my family in Wales, the Meddins, who just don't crop up at all until married.  Maybe they were wild mountain people who turned a shotgun on anyone who came within yards of the house. 

Hope you enjoy your search.  Thanks.

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hello, Aileen

Sorry, I don't seem able to do anything in brief and there was too much information in my previous contact.  I hope everything is OK with you and wonder if you found out anything about my Parry ancestors.  It would be good to hear from you.

Wendy

Offline AileenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I haven't had the chance to wonder around the town at the moment ive been ill with a horrible virus that made me dizzy and severe headaches so haven't been able to do much.  My children go back to school next week so I will be free to get around and have a snoop!  I will get back to you then ASAP.
PARRY - Pontesbury, Pulvabatch, Shrewsbury and Broseley. Shropshire
BULLOCK- Broseley and Madeley
POPE - Cleobury Mortimer, Clun, Shrewsbury, The Rock and Worcester
BROWN - Coleham and Coton Hill Shrewsbury and Leicester
AMOS- Madeley Shropshire and Yorkshire
NORTHALL - Madeley and Yorkshire
LEWIS- Llanfhiangle Denbigh, Llansaintffraid Montgomeryshire, Morton Oswestry Shrops
MULLARD - Deuxhill, Cressage, Ruyton XI Towns, Shrops
EVANS - Melverley, , Welshpool
BREEZE- Shrewsbury and many more!

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, Aileen

I did wonder if you had been ill or away on holiday but didn't like to get in touch, not wanting to be a nuisance.  Sorry you've had such a horrible virus, particularly during the school holidays.  Don't worry about rushing around on my behalf.  If there's information out there, it won't go away.

Best wishes and get completely well soon.

Wendy

Offline AileenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendy,

I went into the antiques shop and had a word with the owner.  He said he does live in Charles Parry's house No 2 Church Bank and that the last Parry to live in there was 'Cis'?? (I think he said Charles daughter) who lived to be 92 she passed away a couple of years ago in the nursing home down the road from the house.   He said that when She left the house Charles' tools were donated to the local Powysland museum.  The only problem with that which he was very annoyed about is tat they had to be sent to Cardiff by the museum for cataloguing.  When he enquired why they were not back at Welshpool yet they said they have lost them!!! 

He says you are very welcome if you could ever get to Welshpool to come and visit his wife at the house.  He says that he still has the original Hoop that was used for shaping the barrels and the water trough in the back garden.  He said he is also thinking of starting up a museum in the house dedicated to Charles and his family.  He said if you would be willing to pass on any contact details he would be very happy to tell you what he knows.

Alternatively the shop is 
LAMPLITE ANTIQUES
2 Boot St
WELSHPOOL
SY21 7SA
01938 555036

I apologise though as I forgot to ask what his name is! I will also be catching a bus outside of the house tomorrow so I will take my camera with me and take a photo for you.
PARRY - Pontesbury, Pulvabatch, Shrewsbury and Broseley. Shropshire
BULLOCK- Broseley and Madeley
POPE - Cleobury Mortimer, Clun, Shrewsbury, The Rock and Worcester
BROWN - Coleham and Coton Hill Shrewsbury and Leicester
AMOS- Madeley Shropshire and Yorkshire
NORTHALL - Madeley and Yorkshire
LEWIS- Llanfhiangle Denbigh, Llansaintffraid Montgomeryshire, Morton Oswestry Shrops
MULLARD - Deuxhill, Cressage, Ruyton XI Towns, Shrops
EVANS - Melverley, , Welshpool
BREEZE- Shrewsbury and many more!

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello, Aileen

It was a lovely surprise to hear from you this evening and I hope you've fully recovered.  I'm pretty sure that a photo I found of Charles outside the cooper's shop, as it was then, was on the Powysland Museum website taken probably in the 1920s.  I'm pretty disgusted about the loss of the tools, etc in Cardiff and you wonder just what they did with them.  Surely it's up to the museum to make a fuss with Cardiff.  Are we sure that Cis couldn't have been a wife or sister?  I think Charles would have been too young to have a daughter of such an age.  He would have been 113 this year.  Presumably he had children and grandchildren and you wonder where they are or were when it came to clearing out the house and premises. One wonders where all the Parry family have disappeared to as I can't believe they've all moved away.  They'd be easier to find if Parry wasn't such a common surname.

How lovely that the present house owners are thinking of setting up a museum of the business.  It was there for a considerable amount of time, both with the father, George, and then Charles.  I wish I could get to Welshpool but it's unlikely as I don't have a car now.  I don't know how else you could contact me or the shopowners apart from having my email address.  I'll maybe write a letter to them and thanks for all your help in this matter.  It would be lovely to see some photos although I still haven't found how you actually attach them to these messages.

Did your neighbour have any information on the family?

Best wishes.  Wendy

Offline DJMWarboys

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 September 15 15:38 BST (UK) »
I'd just like to point out that the number of the house Charlie Parry used to live in was not no. 2 but in fact no. 1 Church Bank. My family (Davies) lived in no.2 from the early 1920's up until the late 1980/90's. I was actually born  at no. 2 and remember, as a child, my father referring to Charlie Parry as being a cooper. It does however seem odd that the cottage at the top of Church Bank is no. 2 and the one next door no. 2 but I can assure you that is correct.

I noticed in a book I bought at the weekend 'Pocket Images of Welshpool' that a photo on page 59 shows Charlie Parry and refers to no2. and it's annexe but that too is incorrect.
 :)   

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
DJM Warboys - Thank you for your message.  I see that it was 2009 when I was last on here and nothing went any further on the Welshpool connection after that.  I can barely remember who Aileen was and haven't heard from her again.  I do have some photos of the property you mention, both when it was a firm of coopers to later times as a builders.  I'm sure there must be distant relations still round the area but nothing more than someone vaguely in Kerry and another one in Cardiff.  We're all in contact via Facebook (Wendy Parry Astor).  Best Wishes.  Wendy