Author Topic: Parry (Coopers) Llanidloes/Newtown/Welshpool  (Read 9674 times)

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parry (Coopers) Llanidloes/Newtown/Welshpool
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 July 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, Cathy

Yes, this is the right family and thanks for your searching.  Unfortunately I seem to have missed where one can do free searches of the 1911 census as I didn't think it would officially be available till next year.  I could probably find out just a bit more on my family further on from the 1901 one. 

I know about Charles Parry (who would have been my father's cousin) up to 1962 but the North Wales BMD doesn't go beyond 1959 and I haven't had any luck with the Welshpool newspaper regarding his obituary, as Gadget suggested.  In fact, I've asked for their help in the past but they didn't even bother to get back to me. 

I keep hoping, with every new series of "Who Do You Think You Are", that a few of the Parry family will come out of the woodwork and get interested in all this searching themselves. 

Wendy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 July 09 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

By doing a canny search - using the advanced options, you can get quite a lot of information for free. There's a thread somewhere on the Forum about the best ways of doing it.

I'll go look and report back  :)

Gadget

added - her's one:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355239.0.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 July 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget.  I had a look but got completely lost.  1911census.co.uk seems to come up with the members of a household but it's down to credits for the actual entry.  At least one can see who is still at an address after the 1901 census which is something just to see who's hatched and despatched after ten years.

Was I right in thinking that Ancestry isn't taking up the option when, presumably, it should be online next year?  I believe Ancestry along with familysearch.org are both Latter Day Saints' property. 

I don't know where you and Cathy are and whether you have local knowledge in the Powys area.  It always helps if you know an area to be able to help other people, as I have been with others where I live.

Wendy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 July 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

I now live in Tyneside but grew up on the Denbighshire/Shropshire borders and knew quite a bit about Montgomeryshire from visits, etc.

I also have one of my main lines from that area.

I'm not sure about Ancestry taking up the 1911. I'm with FindMyPast as well  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AileenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 August 09 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy I live in Welshpool.  I'm actually a Parry but my Parry's originate from just over the border in Shropshire.  I do know of a Parry family in Welshpool who I could ask if they know of who your talking about?

I could also maybe take a look in the local cemeteries for you to see if there is anything there that might crop up.
PARRY - Pontesbury, Pulvabatch, Shrewsbury and Broseley. Shropshire
BULLOCK- Broseley and Madeley
POPE - Cleobury Mortimer, Clun, Shrewsbury, The Rock and Worcester
BROWN - Coleham and Coton Hill Shrewsbury and Leicester
AMOS- Madeley Shropshire and Yorkshire
NORTHALL - Madeley and Yorkshire
LEWIS- Llanfhiangle Denbigh, Llansaintffraid Montgomeryshire, Morton Oswestry Shrops
MULLARD - Deuxhill, Cressage, Ruyton XI Towns, Shrops
EVANS - Melverley, , Welshpool
BREEZE- Shrewsbury and many more!

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 August 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, Aileen

Thanks for your offer of help with searching cemeteries.  I know that George (1862) had his coopering business at Church Bank and his son Charles (1896) was there in 1962 as a builder.  I did try to attach a picture of him but I'm not sure whether you'll find it or I deleted it.  Probably the business has completely gone now and there are houses or even a car park on the place.  This is what generally seems to happen. 

Charles had other brothers although I think George (1891)may have died in infancy.  The others were John ((1893) and Ernest (1899).  There was also a sister, Annie (1900). The birth years might be out a year either side.

As far as I know, the rest of the family who weren't either living in Llanidloes or even Newtown moved right away and I haven't been able to trace any of them through various websites.  I haven't had much luck with the 1911 census yet.

It's quite possible that there are some Parry descendents still in Welshpool but it's needles and haystacks with such a common surname.  If one doesn't ask, one doesn't find out so it would be really great if you could just ask the people you know.  I'm just curious about a family I know nothing about and probably my father didn't either. 

Offline AileenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 August 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
Was it number 1 or 2 Church Bank? 

Those houses are still there and I remember having a conversation with the present owners of number 2, who own an antique shop in the town when I told them my surname was Parry  they asked if I was any relation to the Parry's that had lived in their house previously the last being a lady who passed away about 10 years ago.  There was a business attached to the side of their house which still has a worn brass plaque on the door I will pop there tomorrow and see what it says on the door.  It is right next door to Church House which serves the St Mary's church directly across the road.

Church bank is only very small.
LEWIS- Llanfhiangle Denbigh, Llansaintffraid Montgomeryshire, Morton Oswestry Shrops

Offline wendypa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 August 09 07:53 BST (UK) »
Well, it looks as if you've found some clue to the Parry family at last.  I suppose the old lady who died was Charles' wife, Martha.  It's good to know the house is still standing and I've come across some old photos on the internet of Church Bank.  There was one of Charles about 1920 outside G M Parry's cooper's business.  The old plaque could well be a relic from these times or Charles Parry himself.  I wonder what became of any children they might have had.  There could still be some locally. 

Thanks for all your help in this matter and I hope you are getting some fun from it.  My neighbour, who is practically blind, had me rummaging in our village churchyard for some people he was interested in and it was great.

I thought that Church Bank must be quite small but I'm not sure of any number.  Sometimes numbers were changed, I suppose depending on new building.  I can't get into Ancestry these days to check as they want me to update something and I don't think my poor old computer can cope with it.

Offline AileenP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 August 09 10:58 BST (UK) »
If you need any ancestry things looking up I can do them for you.  I treat myself to the subscription every month.

I could also ask the people in the antique shop too if they of any information about where the family could be. Plus my next door neighbour is a wealth of information she grew up on the housing estate near by and knows practically everyone.  I'm sure her sister married a George Parry he would be in his 70's now they are divorced though. I must admit I'm quite addicted to this tree searching and keep wanting more after I've found something :)